1223.3 Have You Ever Danced With the Devil?

Alexei scratches his head. "Well...you have not been Baptized yet. If you aren't Baptized, you shouldn't be participating in the other Sacraments, and the Bishop would know this. That might be a formality that could buy some time, the Grogs could...embellish their Confessions and stall for more time. If enough time passes, perhaps you can merely hold out and promise to return another time? You might say you require a sponsor that you trust in this and when I'm offered you could refuse for any number of reasons, say that there is something in our Charter perhaps, or that you feel you can't trust me. That could buy still more time. I don't advocate lying mind you, but there are numerous ways to buy more time in this and possibly avoid performing the Sacrament. But fleeing...that will not be good."

And if the Bishop offers to Baptize me? I do not understand any of this and I will not do it. Should I just stay here and be killed by your church for not being a follower?

Alexei looks at him incredulously. "Do you...do you think the Bishop would kill you for not converting? Perhaps this is a bit scary or unusual to you, but the Bishop and his servants have far more sense than to try and kill a Magus, expecially from a Covenant that they seek to influence or even merely get their silver from. But if it should come to that, of course flee. But even if you were to outright refuse, which I believe you can do, I don't see him trying to have you killed. In the end Korvin, it would be far better to refuse than to disappear."

Alright. I will stay and face the Bishop. I do not like it. Your Church behaves like the Order when it comes to others who are smaller than it. Covert or die.

((Wow, Korvin has a chip on his shoulder.))

What is Korvin's plan of action?

((How would you expect him to react when he is a true believer of what best could be called a fringe religion. The Church does not have the best history of "tolerance" for Pagans in their space.))

Korvin will sleep and eat and go about his preparations to leave the next day. That includes saying goodbye to the Bishop to thank him for his hospitality.

((I have no truck with the size of the chip. I'm just observing. :smiley:))

Personality Traits: Pagan Belief +1 - Just imagine if it were +3 :open_mouth:

Well before bedtime, a page comes to Korvin's suite and Korvin is asked to come to the bishop's chambers.

Kovin looks surprised at the summons and quickly gets his robes on. He follows the page to the Bishop's room will all shorts of horrible events being imagined.

Korvin is taken to the bishops private quarters. Oppulence does nothing to describe them.
"I had hoped you would take my advice and come to confession, Korvin. You need to learn the language of diplomacy. What do you think I meant when I said Théofil will ensure everyone takes confession?"

He will follow the letter of your law and use it against the Magi of Mons Electi.

"Indeed he will. And so I ask again. Will you take confession with me, instead?" He seems to be asking, almost pleading with Korvin to do take confession, but it's off it seems to be like he's asking Korvin to let the bishop help him. There's something more to what's being asked, as if the bishop can't quite come out with it and say what he's really thinking.

Korvin nods his head. Even thought I do not believe in your God it seems that I must perform the empty gestures

The bishop calls for someone and when he arrives he says, "Let it be known that I have heard the confession of Korvin Merceris. Please update the rolls for Fr. Théofil's parish." Then to Korvin. "I invite any of the members of your school to come to me at any time, so I may hear their confessions, like I have done for you. Do you think this is an agreeable arrangement?"

Korvin looks very relieved. Yes. I think you will have some interesting visits.

In the future, we must discuss how we can help you. Without breaking our Code of course.

The recordkeeper leaves.
"We are not unreasonable. We recognize that some may not believe as we do. We hope that all come to accept God on their own. Some choose not to, and that is their choice that they live with. There are others in the Church who believe those of the Church must bring everyone to God, but this is foolish on many levels. Besides, if it weren't for the largess of Mons Electi, We and the Ducal Regent would be less able to prosecute this war. It is true that it is a Crusade, and that is unfortunate. And We do see the irony of allowing you latitude and discretion in your own spiritual matters, and using that as an excuse to prosecute the war to the south. But this is a matter of state, first and foremost, and We lend support to the Ducal Regent because We are asked."

All that remains is to tie this up and inform the Magi of Mons Electi of what is required.
And now all the magi know that they pay out their excess monies, which has been historically equivalent to ~500 pounds of silver to the Duchy of Burgundy. And also Valerian knows about this...

Korvin will convene a council meeting as soon as Alexei returns from the Crusade. He will be in his more formal robes.

Tranquillina will certainly attend (it's her first council meeting, perhaps!).
Those who are aware of women's fashion (if any :wink: ) might see that her outfit, while suitably formal, is a curious hybrid between a local style and something more foreign, more Northern perhaps; while strange, the effect in this case is certainly aesthetic.
When she sees Alexei, she will greet him appropriately but warmly, remembering his sponsorship of her membership to Mons Electi.