1223.3 Have You Ever Danced With the Devil?

((Alexei will be more observant after the Crusades at this point. He was more than twice a year before, but not much more.))

Roberto is irregular in frequency, but not casual. He likes to develop a personal relationship with his clergy. He used to have a monk (a guy who thinks he's a monk) to hear confession. If asked his opinion, it is no sweat. Just confess sins, no need to blab all your secrets.

I do not worry about any of you but our more trusted folk. Henri should go to the Bishop for Confession. Any others who might have information that best not be out. Perhaps a trip to another town or parish.

[color=blue]"So, we should make a list of our people who know things that we don't want to get back to...whomever, and make arrangements with them to go to Dijon every so often to meet with the Bishop there? Including, of course,all of us."

We can not prevent everyone from going to Théofil nor should we. Most of them will tell him of the number of sheep or what we are eating. Others might be able to talk about the defenses and what they are training to do. Those people we might not want to go to confession with Théofil.

[color=blue]"Precisely."

Alexei shrugs. "I think we can reach out to Theofil for things a priest is supposed to do, with our covenfolk. Keep him so busy he can't get the chance to see us. And when he starts asking, we could say, with accuracy that they had already gone to see the bishop. He does not sound very virtuous. faced with the prospect of tending to the flock might drve him away."

((Would Marcus have been invited to this meeting?))

((If he is staying at ME? Yes.))

"It is hard to keep a person so busy that he doesn't have time to take confession. And as the residents of Mons Electi, and the outlying areas which service her, come to trust Théofil or trust him already because he is a thief will fail to see the distinction or the reason they shouldn't take confession with Théofil, unless we tell them."

((I'm not sure if that's a counter point or not. In most cases (correct me if I'm wrong) the priest will come to an area and provide the sacraments a few times a year at most, my plan is when Theofil does come we make sure there are long lines to greet him, if we keep him busy he can then have less time to see us. Marriages can happen at those times as well etc,))

And as Korvin has explained, the Church keeps track of WHO has given confession and who has not. You will not bamboozle Theofil. Our best bet is to play along but protect those people that have "top secret" info by having them go to the Bishop.

People would still see the Bishop, I get that, and that's still part of the plan. When Theofil finally gets to the Magi we just say. "Oh I'm sorry, they already took care of that." and prove they went to him. For the record Alexei is not afraid nor concerned to give confession with anyone, so if he insists on seeing a Magus, send Alexei then.

10 xp to both Korvin and Alexei.
Named grogs present get 4xp.

Alexei has to give up his study/lab work for this season due to the crusade. But he gains Social Contacts(Crusaders) Virtue. A slew of officers and even some other Hermetic Magi from Iberia, Provencal and Roman tribunals (say 1 each from the to other Tribunals). This time, he's started paying more attention to those he works with and has developed some lasting bonds with the men he has gone to war with. Which may prove useful. Qcipher, if you want to detail those three magi, feel free in the narrative we've discussed.

Korvin will add 5xp to intrigue - bringing it to 2
5xp Church Lore (personalities)

Alexei will put 5 to Parma and 5 to Concentration, as both would be used while on Crusade. That Season he was going to open more space into his Talisman, so as to account for that he will take less time on Leadership later and drop a season of that.

Isen takes turns

Most of the grogs know little important things. It is easy to confide in them, feed them false information. I know Adeline would do that nicely: She can brag to the other servants of what I'm supposedly doing or planning, feed them false information that they'll truthfully give back to Theofill.
Likewise, we can probably manage to let slip similar informations. Who's tasked with counterspying and mundane security? Isn't it tranquillina? This would surely be a good job for her.

((This thread is one season before the meeting to create officer roles and assign magi to them. And it will be another year or so after that before Tranquillina's plan to mentally interview tons of covenfolk comes to fruition. But other than the time difference, this is exactly the sort of thing Tranquillina can try to check on. :slight_smile: ))