1223.4 Don't Forget the Blacksmith of Brandywine

[color=blue]"Luckily for you, we're not from around here," Fiona says in Latin. [color=blue]"I am Fiona filia Marós Ex Miscellanea Kore tes Kirkes ab Mons Electi."

The man who was speaking is stunned into silence and looks at his fellow captive whereupon they promptly begin weeping. The one who hadn't said anything says, "Very well Diedne scum, this isn't the first time we've been tortured by the likes of you, but is certainly the first time we've had two torturers."

[color=blue]"I would be very surprised if you had ever been tortured by a Daughter of Circe, and you shan't be now."

She leans in close to Marcus and whispers, [color=blue]"Do you see any reason not to release them?"

The men appear to be...broken, upon a deeper examination. Marcus beckons Fiona to bend and listen to him. "That may be premature. I'm going to observe quietly and maybe cast a spell or two the better gauge what effects are working over their cell. Maybe you need to talk to them a bit."

Fiona nods. [color=blue]"All right. I know I would like to be able to cast Revealed Flaws of Mortal Flesh on them, which I think I can currently do through about five or six magnitudes of resistance, but I'd rather not have to overcome a Perdo Vim effect as well."

Fiona sits on the floor just outside the circle (I'm assuming she saw a circle for the circle ReCo effect, didn't get an answer earlier) – and if anyone sees anything, ah well.

[color=blue]"We aren't Diedne. There haven't been any Diedne in the mortal realm in some two centuries. We had heard rumours that they could be found here, though. Looks like the rumours were true." She can't help but feel pity for them, with their broken bodies (or was it their spirit that seemed broken?), and wants to get them help as soon as she can.

((Their spirits.))

As if not believing Fiona, "Ahh, and I suppose you'll be telling us we're going to be just fine this time. Isn't that so very nice of them? They're giving us something new to experience. What amazing hosts we have."

Fiona looks at Marcus briefly. [color=blue]"No, I won't promise that you'll be fine," she tells the prisoner. [color=blue]"But if you want to get out of here, we can get you out. And, as far as your 'hosts' are concerned, the ones we've met so far are either dead or rooting for truffles right now. So. Do you want to go?"

"Do we have a choice?" He says, resigning himself to whatever is to come...

[color=blue]"Yes. You can leave with us, or we can be on our way and you can stay here to face whatever your captors have in store for you. The choice is yours."

"Well, we are chained here, so we are at your disposal."

[color=blue]"Real enthusiastic lot, aren't you?" Fiona mutters in Gaelic.

If it looks like the two would be able to slip their chains if they were smaller, she will smile a (hopefully) reassuring smile at them. [color=blue]"I'm about to give you a chance to escape, but you'll have to be the ones who want to get out. It's a simple spell, really, to help you slip your bonds, but you'll only have a few moments to decide. You can either escape, and take your chances with us, or stay and face what you know you will."

After a quick glance at Marcus (to see if he indicates "No, don't do this!", she will cast a quick Muto Corpus to make them about half their size. Base 3, with R: Touch (+1), D: Concentration (+1), T: Group (+2), for a final spell level of 15. Her CT is Sta 3 + Mu 16 + Co 14 + Co (Magical Focus) 14 + Aura 10 + die roll of 6 = 63, halved is 32. If necessary, her Penetration is 17 + Penetration (Transformation) 4 = 21.

She will maintain concentration (score of 3) until either they slip out of their chains or make it apparent that they're going nowhere.

((Forgetting about some active effects that seem to be centered around the prisoners? I'll let you revise your plan...))

((The Rego Corpus effect that I thought Marcus was going to be studying/analyzing, but hasn't said anything about yet? Which is why I gave him a window to say "no, bad idea"?))

"There is a powerful Perdo Vim effect, looks to destroy magic. However, there is a Rego Corpus effect also in effect, which I would judge is even more powerful than the Perdo Vim effect, for it to still be operational."

Fiona's spell is ineffective, although she is able to cross the Rego Corpus circle without any resistance. Fiona's Parma Magica is cancelled by the Perdo Vim effect.

That was me shortcutting because I messed up...

Well, that's bloody annoying, Fiona thinks as she crosses the circle and loses her Parma. ((Are the two prisoners chained to the beds/slabs/whatever, or are they bound by chains, and she can simply pick them up and muscle them out of the circle?))

The chains are attached to the wall. Upon closer inspection it looks as if the chain is coming out of the wall, and also the chains do not appear to be normal chains, as they don't show any signs of being subject to metalwork. The links do not have any imperfections, and are completely smooth.

Jehanne is inclined to walk into the circle with Fiona, but there is no obvious threat anywhere in sight, and Fiona doesn't seem that concerned.... Jehanne settles for remaining vigilant where he is.
Almost surely unnecessary Awareness roll: Per 2 + Awareness (bodyguarding) 4 + stress die 9 = 15.

((I'm stumped. I feel like I'm missing something painfully obvious, but I've no idea what. We have two men chained to the beds. The chains appear to be Creo'd out of the wall, since they're flawless metal with no obvious weak links, so to speak. There is a Perdo Vim, possibly akin to a Wind of Mundane Silence, that dispels any magic within the circle, including Parma. The PeVi is powerful enough to stop her Preternatural Growth and Shrinking (MuCo 15), so any spont she attempts will have to be at least in the low 20s. The only formulaic spell she has that might be of use is Taking the Raven's Wing, which is MuCo(An) 35. Might be worth a shot?

Also, did she feel anything ReCo-ish when she entered the circle?))

Fiona steps back outside the circle and reestablishes her parma. [color=blue]"What do you think?" she asks everybody when she's done.

No, the PeVi effect hits before the Rego Corpus effect, knocking down her Parma, so she can't feel anything Ping against her resistance. Need something like Bitter Taste of Betrayal to remain active to get a better idea...

"I see you were able to walk back across the boundary, so the Rego Corpus effect may not be sufficient to act on a giant. Indeed, giants probably brought them their food." I neglected to indicate that Fiona is back down to her normal size when her Parma was knocked down.

Care to make a Magic Theory roll?