1226.3a A friendly duel

((Can't answer in character, and Fiona might well not know her; but she's a seamstress at Mons Electi.))

Tranquillina notices that something seems to have upset Fiona. Come to think of it, the giantess has shown a certain pattern for taking things too personally.* "These aren't skills I've ever had the time to develop," she mollifies. "But I envy those who can ... I enjoy planning the occasional new outfit, but mine are only illusions."

• comments about pots and kettles are quite appropriate here

Tranquillina regards the linen more closely, taking note of its shimmer and gloss. "Is this magical in nature? It really is quite smooth." She looks around the library, seeing that nobody else is there, and turns to Fiona. "What do you think of Viscaria anyway?"

((I think it'd be fun to continue this bonding scene. Do you want to continue in a new thread? or Living Years?))

(I was refering to the vis thievery Valarian was accusing Califactos of. Reginald was a throw away line refering to a Novus Mane character)
[color=brown]I follow instructions, not orders.
But I understand more clearly now. Wasn't that much easier? Cryptic messages confuse me. You risk causing me to go off on some rogue objective.
I think I know what to do....
[/quote]

((Can probably assume Alexei simply arrived too late and may have seen Petronius wandering.))

"Ah... Alexei, isn't it? Well, I'm afraid you are late for the meeting. Signore Rodrigo," there is a evident sarcasm in the title, "decided to walk out on us before even explaining why he had asked for our help, leaving his attendants to explain his behaviour to me. Apparently he wanted a spell to scry on another magus, for some reason he also didn't bother explaining, to be cast by another magus who also left without even bothering with presentations!"

Taking a deep breath to calm himself, the Bonisagus explains, "So I was just coming back to retrieve my stick, which I had forgotten here."

The name is Roberto. Roberto Rodriguez.
Feel free to make an Order of Hermes Lore roll to see if you have heard of him 8)

((Total of 15. Yes, he's heard of him. But he does take kindly to "louts and cads". :wink: ))

I was being smarmy.
Look, I need to understand. Are we having a player conflict or just in character?

((Just in character. :slight_smile: The initial meeting was in bad circumstances, and this is immediately afterward. See it his way: he heard someone needed help and shows up to do so; as he arrives, the one who asked walks out before answering any question -- hell, without even the basic courtesy of presenting himself -- leaving his grogs to provide excuses for his behaviour. To any magus of some status, that is insulting. So it's a bad start. Nothing that cannot be resolved in the future, but it might require more social grace next time.))

((BTW, in case you missed it, I am not a regular player of the saga. JL asked me to do a cameo using a future version of my character in another saga. Alternate realities and all that. So the character can provide help or hindrance, based on how you interact with him. I don't have a specific purpose in this saga, other than to provide a different voice for an NPC magus. Petronius, of course, has his own goals and peeves, so his reactions are based on those and his personality.))

Alexei frowns. "That is rather rude I would say. And scrying?" he shakes his head. "Well he is exuberant. Newly arrived and desiring to solve mysteries and puzzles. Thankful that he's here mind you...but we need to get used to him a bit I suppose. Anyway Sodale can I interest you in a diversion? We have some fine wine...I make for a passable chess opponent, though I doubt they'll write many stories about a win over me."

Petronius shakes his head in a negative, "I'm afraid you will find me a poor opponent at chess. Even Rufus beats me whenever I play, which goes to tell you!" The Bonisagus smiles and pulls up a chair. "A glass of wine would be nice, although just one. After that, I'd rather switch to something milder, like watered ale or oxymel. But tell me, what have you become since you left the Rhine? I remember you a little from your time there, but I'm afraid I lost track when you departed our forests."

((Have you rolled on Order of Hermes Lore yet to determine what you may know of Petronius?))

All well and good then. I was thown off when I was refering to the dress of another player and asked to see the character and yadda-yadda-yadda.
As for building a future relationship, Roberto will be glad to afford the opportunity to you. And there we may have character conflict.
You remind me of my old friend Cliff.

((Alexei's OoH Lore is only 1, and he's picked it up since coming to Mons Electi, it's unlikely he knows Petronius))

Alexei sighs as he picks up the wine pitcher and pours a cup for Petronius. "Well...Mons Electi has certainly kept me busy. I've become more involved in the order's affairs since coming here. After leaving my Master I became involved in many wars and conflict in and aorund the Rhine, but always surreptitiously. My particular Gift lends well to maintaining a mundane visage. Since coming here I have become more involved in the Order's business. And you? That was an inspiring display you did for Fiona. Again my apologies for nearly ruining it."

((You can always make the roll, if in doubt. In fact, I'd prefer you to make the roll and then let me determine if it's necessary. If it's not, I a good roll might color my judgment, while a bad roll is much less likely to do so. It's likely, given their ages that they know of each other, without knowing each other. Since Alexei didn't have OoH Lore before the saga's start, it's my call and I'm making it thus. :smiley: Alexei knows of Laurus Argenti and all of the magi therein.))

Isen looks calmy at the new magus for an instant.
Of course. I keep forgetting we have such a great reputation of hermetic hospitality and hermetic openess, especially given the peace the Normandy tribunal has enjoyed in the past 7 years. You'll excuse me, sir. I am used to a covenant with a lot of powerful hermetic ennemies, who was more wary of letting strangers in freely than here. Please, consider yourself at home.

Do I? I don't think so, but I may have forgotten. I have a bad memory for names and places*.
Where do you think this might have happened?

• in fact, he just doesn't care much.

"Well, I don't know much about Mons Electi's reputation in this regard. I am here to study some of your regio entrances and other phenomena that might help me with my research. My covenant-brother, Praxiteles, introduced me last year when he needed to transport the block of black stone from which he sculpted the pegasus." (By this time, I assume the statue has been completed, if not necessarily enchanted yet.)

Petronius thinks for a few moments, gazing at Isen, "Have you ever been in the Rhine? For some reason, you remind me of the sea... or perhaps sea birds..."

((I missed this, sorry about the delay. This is why you don't call a council meeting and run off. :laughing: ))

"I'm unconcerned about making things easy for you. It is what it is. If you want to call them instructions, very well. Ariel instructs you to do these things. Now that that's finished, I'm returning to my abode. I have to work on preparing Calefacto's defense before Tribunal." And Marcus flies off...

corrections:

• Roberto did not call a council meeting. It was an informal request for gathering.
  • Roberto did not run off. He was removing himself from a situation which may have caused him to violate the law. He was so pissed when he realized Marcus tricked him, he was ready to pummle him within an inch of his life then set him on fire.
    :smiley:

Roberto rides at a trot on the way back to the covenant, quietly contemplating along the way.
[color=brown]Okay. He's taking care of that. Now I need to rebuild my reputation after Marcus made a fool of me in front of everyone. He's a prevaricator and a miscreant, that he is.
I need to focus on the mystery of Apollodorus.
Hmmm...

When Roberto returns, he finds an appropriate place to build a bonfire and sits by it. And contemplates. He calls for some meat on a stick to roast. And a jug of wine. Anyone is invited to sit quietly if they want, grogs and covenfolk and magi alike. They can chatter, but Roberto remains quiet.

((As a player, you should know that Marcus is played without guile. His actions here were more or less ordered or limited instructions [orders] from Ariel. He does truly want to determine the strength of Confluensis's Aegis. He is unable to penetrate without assistance, but he's not so obsessed with it, nor does he need it so much that he is willing to seek out confederates in the process. When an opportunity came up and a(n apparently) willing confederate showed up, he took the opportunity for what it was. Roberto can feel he was used, but Marcus won't see it that way at all. Of course, that creates all the juicy conflict that Tytalus magi love.))

Yes, but Roberto feels like he was tricked and is now embarrassed (though he won't admit it).

((To which I say, as SG: Muhahaha. I just want there to be a clear understanding of character intent.))

Marcus comes out of the Manor house (the bonfire needs to be on the mundane side to attract very many grogs).

"I like fire."