1228.etc: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

((I had forgotten that Renaud was a Redcap. So, Int 1 + Order of Hermes Lore 2 + die roll of 4 = 7.))
[color=blue]"Wait...there was that one, maybe five years ago. I don't think he comes here much. Renault? Renaud? Something like that.

No complaints :slight_smile:
But that is still three-hundred years from now, and employs radically different styles of weaponry and technology. The Spanish develop a style of fencing as well, centered on creating a thinly exposed line of your profile and using long lunges. But in the 13th century, the current style is broadswords and round shields and spears.
:smiley:
I am just saying that, the style of fencing Alexi is teaching Fiona is new and original, and Alexi invented it!

Alexei pauses at the test of his parma and looks a bit shocked and briefly even angry. Stephen lowers his sword at this, uncertain of what to do next. Alexei's usual smile becomes a smirk as he points his staff at Fiona. "Now Fiona, I hope you did that to flatter me that my parma was strong enough...but in practice it's best to either cast forcelessly or simply state the spell. Let us keep this safe and friendly, yes? But you're doing well, that was a Muto Corpus yes? An excellent choice in a fight, a regular opponent would no doubt be oinking about in confusion."

Alexei raises his staff in the spear guard. "En Garde!"

[color=blue]"Oh...right. Forceless casting. Sorry about that. But, yes, I knew that your Parma would easily stop my Curse of Circe, and the only other combat spells I know are Charge of the Angry Winds and Jupiter's Resounding Blow, and I didn't want to hurt y...hurt my shield grog by mistake."

[color=blue]"I'm sorry," she says after a moment, looking properly chastised, then raises her talisman again and takes her position behind Stephen.

Celestina gets a look of disdain on her face. Renuad is an asshole. I do not know why Korvin puts up with him. He does not perform his duty. She makes a dismissive gesture. He probably felt sorry for him.

[color=blue]"Oh?" Fiona says. [color=blue]"A shirker? Maybe Korvin felt like it was his duty to invent the ritual, regardless of how good a Redcap he is."

She shrugs. [color=blue]"That might explain why I almost never see him come here."

Korvin should know better! Part of his anger at Harco perhaps. Celestina walks in silence for a while. It is probably another part of the problem. Normally, the local Mercere house pays for longevity rituals and other items. I can't believe they would have paid for a loner's ritual. Renaud must have made some deals to get the vis. Hmmmm She is lost in thought for a moment.

Alexei holds up his hand to pause the action. "Very good, with those spells you'd do well against multiple opponents. We should practice those with scarecrows and pulleys...too dangerous with grogs. Very good, let us repeat the exercise and the footwork, we'll break for lunch in a bit. Gilbert, please step in."

((This goes well what I had planned to Alexei, he can get some xp in teaching. But he has to read more on the Code of Hermes as well as Order of Hermes Lore.))

Fiona says nothing as they walk, not really knowing enough about the situation to say anything intelligent about it but content to listen and learn, and to enjoy Celestina's company.

Fiona will sit with Alexei during lunch, playfully flirting as usual, but more subtle than what she does with some of the others (in fact, her flirting may be so subtle that Alexei misses it: Com 2 + Charm 3 + Venus's Blessing 3 + die roll of 8 = 16)

She also talks about what spells she knows and whether they would be of use in a combat situation. None of the obviously useless ones, of course...but some that may be useful.

((Oh, and Invisible Castle is back! At least for now.))

When they reach the portal to Harco, Celestina will turn to Fiona. You wanted to ask me something? Best do it now while you almost trust the listening ears.

Alexei does seem to notice the flirtation...but as any gentleman would he rather stoically avoid or ignore it. On the subject of spells, Alexei is a mixed bag of help. Surprisinlgy there's likely a lot of spells where he needs a brief refresher on exactly what the spell does. ((A lot of spells he doesn't know because he can't use them and so knows nothing of them; those at Voice range are the typical spells)). However whenever a spell is described and/or he knows it, he brings up a hypothetical situation on the strengths and weaknesses of the spell in combat, most have combat effectiveness.

"The thing to remember, is that as soon as you make yourself known as a caster of spells in a fight, you will attract much of the attention. Your shield grog will not be able to protect you for long, depending on their numbers and tactics. Plus you will attract all of their missile fire, do you have any spells that can protect you from arrows and projectiles? That is the resort that many fighting men will fall back on, and a magus flinging fire and winds or transforming men will get the bulk of them. Looking to your defense must be your priority. For example, I prize subtlety which allows me to avoid some of the attention as a magus; my enemies might never realize it. Spells that I cast are for my armour, to conjure it, strenghten it, lighten it. Then I toughen my clothes and my flesh. Finally I use an enchantment to alert me for arrows so I can step aside. None of these look out of place, but make me practically untouchable in a fight. Do you have spells to protect you? Your size is a help no doubt, but also attracts attention."

((Make a Folk Ken roll regarding Alexei's attitude towards your attentions as well as how he speaks of his strategies.))

Um...interesting question. Assuming he hasn't found his dog yet, it would just be the door and lock and perhaps Alexei's reputation.

Well. If he hasn't found his dog yet.... :smiling_imp:

Alexei returns to his quarters a day or two after Cumhachd's arrival to find that there has been some minor damage done to his quarters: clean clothes dragged out of the wardrobe and peed on, perhaps. A potted plant in the window has been knocked over... and there's a very clear imprint of an ape's foot in the spilled earth on the windowsill.

(Rahere is a prankster and a pain in the ass, just like his master. But this is the first time one of his pranks has inflicted actual damage, and the first time one of his pranks has come near any of the magi. So, very out of character.)

Alexei arrives back from his journeys in the countryside, he was getting some information of animals owned by giants, that were of similar stature even. Ideal perhaps for a familiar if he could find it. Returning to his chambers he sees...quite the mess. Helmut had already arrived with some of the cleaning staff, but the vandalism and disgraces done to his hard won banners and trophies, the plant given to him by Apollodorus when he first arrived, the clothes he wore to church, the new tabbard he had commissioned for his rank as Chief Hoplite...

"Master 'Lexi! Uh...we were hoping that we'd have this cleaned before you returned!" The cleaning ladies remain quiet, unsure of what to expect from the ordinarily jovial gentleman. "We uh...one of them thinks they saw that little...creature that often stays with Master Stultus. We..." he stops talking when he sees that Alexei has already disappeared. "Oh dear..."

There is a sharp rapping at the door to Stultus's chambers as if from a hard wooden object.

Stultus opens the door, smiling -- and the smile disappears from his face as he sees who it is. "Herr von Kroitzau. How may I be of assistance, honored sodalis?" The words and the delivery are extremely -- one might even say excessively -- formal.

EDIT: Corrected the mode of address. Why do I keep mixing up "sodalis" and "sodales"?

Alexei opens his mouth and seems ready to exhale fire but pauses, perhaps it was the formal greeting that caught him off guard, or perhaps he's been trying to reign in his humours. He takes a deep and shuddering breath and the whiteness on his knuckles seem to fade a bit as he relaxes his grip just a bit.

"Stultus...come with me to my chambers please." he gestures down the hall with his staff.

(( Um. Stultus' sanctum is all the way up the mountain...
... what the heck. Let's say Stultus has a room inside the castle proper, for those days when he's tired and really doesn't want to make the climb in the dark. Alexei probably caught him there. That makes the scene work.))

"Certainly, honored sodalis," the dwarf responds, still as stiff and formal as a Quaesitor with a length of #8 rebar shoved up his backside. He steps out of the room, and follows Alexei.

((Alexei usually teleports around so he probably didn't notice the distance))

Alexei stays quiet the entire time, except for a brief question. "I used a spell to bring me here quickly, can you do the same? I don't mind the walk, the cool air will do me good."

"I can, though I will have to take it in stages. Please proceed, I shall catch up quickly. I wouldn't wish to... delay you."