character design and development

Hi, silveroak

She wouldn't have had the opportunity, for whatever reason. Or because it's expensive, and has to be done within the context of the saga, etc. Some Magic beings that grant virtues don't have an use for them (Unaging), so they wouldn't necessarily use it on themselves

If you rule that "Grant Characteristic" cannot be done to herself, then I will not sink those points of the character into that power (Major virtue + minor virtue + skill points). You may dislike this workaround, and as Storyguide you have final say, but I chose it because
a) it depends on her and not others (who may or may not cast the stat-raising spell), the Cult of Heroes?
b) those spells get expensive, both in terms of vis/who can cast them/warping (can't count on another character, like Evandrus or eventually Camilla deciding to use them, they might not even get along!)
c)It's hardly Heroic to go the shop and pay for them, even if you earned the cash with great Bravery.
d)some of the powers that the Ritual grants cannot be replicated Hermetically
e)the Mystery Cults route or the Quest/fruit route to get Virtues for the Ungifted are a losing proposition. You always need to take Flaws, combine this with a long term saga, where warping will also happen to such a character through LR, and it will quickly (well, quicker than most) accumulate too many Flaws to be playable or enjoyable.

Stats: I posted the process: started with -3 Str, +3 Dex, +3 Sta, -3 Quik, -3 Int, +1 Per, +3 Comm, +3 Pre . That right there is +7 points, which is what all characters start with. Blood of Heroes/Cult of Heroes allows you to get +1 to a negative stat for each 10 levels of magic items you sacrifice. Redcap starts with 50, magic items gives you 25, so I traded 70 levels for +7 to negative stats, 3 went to Quik, 3 to Int, 1 to Str, thus final stats:
-2 Str, +3 Dex, +3 Sta, 0 Quik, 0 Int, +1 Per, +3 Comm, +3 Pre

If you don't mind I will rework the character and have it ready some time tomorrow. It can enter in 1109 or whenever.

[i]*edited: removed Ritual Power / Variable Power Virtues / Restricted Power Flaw, substituted by Magic items (can be taken more than once), Affinity with Area Lore, Mythic Characteristic: Presence, Unaging Virtues/ [strike]Lesser malediction equivalent to Visions Flaw.[/strike] Slow Power to Flight power, since lesser Malediction is equivalent to (Minor, General), not Minor, Story, Supernatural)

Moved skills around: had 77 points to spread, got an extra 5 from Area Lore Mediterranean as affinity paid for 5, so 82 : returned Warding and sihr to 12 (64 spent), , returned Penetration to 2 (10 spent), bought Stealth (5 spent), put the extra 3 (which turned into 4 with affinity) on Mediterranean.

Used 20 further levels from magic items to turn Str from -2 to 0. Now have 10 levels unused.

Story will change just a bit. When you can take a look, silveroak please do so, and tell me if you spot something else that needs changing, whether it is approved, and then I'll try to insert her in the Google drive spreadsheet.[/i]

Andros's aging roll for 1108: +5 age +_: 1D10 = [5] = 5 -2 healthy feature -1 Magi standards - 6 LR = 1, nothing happens

Camilla will read some book in Spring as her Master was away for 26 days of adventure. One of these days that spell will be completed!

So here is my draft of the librarian ghost. Its written up as a companion grade magical character.

Name: Leaf
Type: Magical Spirit
Season: Summer,
Might: 10 (Me)
Essential Trait: Librarian+3
Personality Traits: Loves Books+3
Confidence: 1 (3)
Magical Qualities: Greater Power(Donning the Corporeal Veil), Personal Power*2 (Personal Eidolon) Greater Power(Presence), Ritual Power (Grant Book Learner)
Magical Inferiority: Minor Flaw (Slow Power), Magical Air(From Magic Spirit), Major Flaw (Blatant Magical Air)
Virtues: Educated, Arcane Lore, Good Teacher, Book Learner, Magical Covenfolk(Free), Magic Spirit(Special)
Flaws: Driven(Major, Build the Best Library in the World), Weakness (Books), Slow Power(Grant Book Learner, From Inferiority), Blatant Magical Air (From Inferiority), Vis Mastery
Characteristics: Com+3, Int+0, Pre+3, Per+1, Str-3, Dex+0, Sta-2, Qik-2
Abilities: Latin 5 (Swearing), Artes Liberales 2 (Geometry), Magic Lore 4 (Gods), Profession: Scribe 6 (Academic), Profession: Illumination 6 (Arcane Diagrams), Profession: Book Binder 6 (Leather Bindings), Folk Ken 2 (Library Patrons), Penetration 1 (Im)

Powers:
Donning the Corporeal Veil
Corpus, Init-3, 0 Points
R: Touch D: Sun T: Ind
As Donning the Corporeal Veil, pg. 102 Realms of Power: Magic. Page takes the form of a young man, with pale skin and long white hair. He is clothed in a loose leather coat, pants and boots. Those knowledgeable in such matters can also note that the leather seems to be made from human flesh.

Presence
0 points, constant, Im
R: Arc D: Sun T: Ind
As Presence pg. 103 Realms of Power: Magic

Personal Eidolon
Im, 0 Points, Constant
R: Touch D: Sun T:Ind
Page generates a constant, translucent image, of him as a young man. He has long white hair, pale skin. It also lets him speak and talk. He can choose how he appears to be dressed if he concentrates at sunrise or sunset.
CrIm 2+1 Touch,+2 Sun,+2 Move at Command, +1 Sound, +1 Intricacy, +1 Constant -3 Might Cost, 5 Surplus levels (Converted to 5 Penetration Experience)

Grant Book Learner
5 points, Init-12+Round of Prep, Vim
R: Touch D: Mom, T: Ind, Ritual
The target gains the virtue //Book Learner//. This is instant effect, but the virtue remains permanently. This also costs 5 points of confidence to activate.
No Hermetic Equivalent, Ritual Power

++++ Life (and Death) Story:
Leaf was sold as a young boy to a mystery cult, who used him as a slave in their library. He has lost most memory of his life, and what remains focuses on the library. The cult was presumably a cult of Mercury, although Leaf somehow manages to be unclear on that. He is now focused on maintaining “his” library.

He was trapped in an ancient library with a handful of other undead and a fading magical aura, up until a meddling magus and his henchpeople broke in and wrecked the wards trapping him there. The magus recruited him with offers of books to copy, write and bind.

Comments?

Ritual powers for magical entities are typically powered by might- if the effect is temporary the might is only lost for the time when he is lending someone the virtue. This would allow him to grant the virtue to differing people on a rotating basis as well as give him a lower might penalty for his own studies while lending the virtue out.

First, some explanation of my thoughts on the grant power. The idea behind it was a sort of "reward" Leaf could have for people who contributed to the library. In the Ritual Rower section for magical creatures, pg 40, it says

Its not clear if this is a choice you make when designing the spell, or when you cast it. Also the grant (virtue) powers seem to indicate that with temporary grants of virtues you don't actually lose might score, but merely you can't recover the might points spent. I meant to base it on that power, but not exactly replicate it. So all that out of the way:

Do you want what I have now changed? And if so, how? Make it more closely match the example version? Or something else?

I see the choice as being more one of when you use the ritual (it is a power, not a spell, but that's splitting hairs in this case), and yes you can recover might points used, in one of 2 ways- 1) if the grant is temporary then the might points will return when the grant is revoked, and 2) each uninterrupted season you spend resting (no work or study) in an aura equal to might/5 regains 1 point of might up to the original. Please post what you have now on the wiki- I have yet to go over it with a fine toothed comb, but everything I see at this point looks good.

going through leaf I note the characteristics add up to 1 point, when they should add up to 7...
please add leaf to the wiki so we can reference the sheet there...

Oh link!. I'm just referencing RoP: Magic for Grant Book Learner. And fixed the stat totals.

Insight is gained from the fertility relic- for the spell Prolongued pregnancy- which suspends the development of an unborn child for the duration of Moon- MuCo spell with base 10, range touch, duration moon and level 30.

Leaf has a net 4 points in qualities and inferiorities, where he should have a net 10
You have vis mastery listed under flaw, it is a virtue or quality, you currently have 4 points in flaws and 4 in virtues if we count Vis mastery as a quality (bringing you up to 7 net)
you are currently 15 points over your starting abilities xp for summer- you might add a quality of improved abilities, which would raise your net qualities to 8 (with vis mastery) and leave you 35 points to add to abilities instead of having to take some off.

By my calculation Danae only has points in abilities to age 19.

Hi, silveroak.

Rechecked and found I had spent 387 out of 395 points (not counting Native Language): early childhood 45, Well-Traveled 50, Redcap 300. I certainly would love an extra 20xp but I did not see where.
•For Sihr and Warding, spent 52 each to get to 78 with Affinity to get to 12. That's 104xp
•For Area Lores, spent 5 on two and 10 +3 on another (affinity with), that's 23 xp.
•Other skills at 1, 15, that's 75 xp
•Other skills at 2, 9, that's 135 xp
•1 skill at 4, that's 50 xp
That's 387 xp.

Will spend those 8 xp on: 5xp on Area lore: Iberia to get to 2 (10 xp spent to get 15 xp), 3 xp on Area Lore: Mediterranean Coasts, which becomes 2(9) (16 spent to get 24).

I had modified her birth year so that she would be 20 when entering play, about to turn 21, in 1109.

If there are more points to spend, I am certainly able and willing to do so! :smiley:

For Aegis's adventures in 1108 I put 10xp (5xp twice in two different seasons), into transforming and getting the "Unaffected by the Gift Virtue." Also she finally got COOKING SIX! Now she can start the crawl towards cooking seven.

There are no Spring adventures for 1109, will advance Andros for Spring, to learn both spells he was inventing from Lab Texts, so he might use them in the Summer Siderno romp, if needed.

first of all it would be 15, not 20 extra.
I show that you have spent 380 points
area lores cost 4,4, and 10 points.
second sight has its first level for free- that is 5 points less than your calculation

Hi, silveroak,

You are absolutely right about Second Sight. For convenience, I will put those 5 points into Second Sight.

I mentioned 20 xp, as her first 5 years would have been childhood experience, and then her next 15 years (after which she immediately starts as a regular character) are 20 average from Redcap Virtue (300 xp / 15 seasons = 20) + Well-Traveled extra.

Area Lores + affinity: put 5xp into 1 (for a score of 1(2), 10 in another (for a score of 2), and 16 in another (for a score of 2(9))

Just recounted, and had 395 points + Native language + Second Sight 1 . If I'm still missing something, just say how much, and I'll allocate the points.

The 15 was in reference to pints, not years- you stated that you would welcome an additional 20 points. You had had 15 unspent. Of course that also means it is 6 instead of 5 to raise the area lores, or you could have taken a new ability at level 2...

1109 is done, Story is hard, Advancement is easy, will move Camilla, Danaë, Andros forward (Camilla for Fall, Winter, the other 2 Summer- Winter); rewards will also come later when some things are clearer.

Andros's Aging roll = _: 1D10 = [9] = 9 + 5 Age - 2 Healthy Feature - 1 Magi Living standards - LR 6= 5, no change

Quite Possibly a Cat: does Evandrus need Camilla's help for the Fertility spell in 1110? I don't think so, strictly, but wanted to get his orders, anyway.

Nope, she can go do whatever.