Officers Amendment vote/discussion

There is also Rose, Akril indicated he got food poisoning and expects to come back. Holidays can make that, tough, too... Play it by ear.

Or, to restate, since it's easier for me to track things on a table sometimes:

[table][tr][th]Office (Function)[/th]
[th]Officer[/th]
[th]Deputy[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Aedilis (logistical, magical)[/td]
[td](vacant, was Viscaria)[/td]
td[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Diocetes (logistical, mundane)[/td]
[td]Tranquillina[/td]
[td]Alexei[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Imperator (martial, mundane)[/td]
[td]Alexei[/td]
[td]Jacques?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Interpres (diplomatic, magical)[/td]
[td]Fiona[/td]
[td]Tranquillina[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Princeps[/td]
[td]Korvin[/td]
td[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Scutatius (martial, magical)[/td]
[td]Isen[/td]
[td](vacant, was Viscaria)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Vilicus (diplomatic, mundane)[/td]
[td]Tranquillina[/td]
[td]Fiona[/td][/tr][/table]
So it looks like we need an Aedilis, and deputies for Aedilis, Princeps, and Scutatius. Looks like we have Jacques penciled in as Deputy Imperator. Maybe Jacques or Roberto would like to be the Aedilis. And it looks like Korvin, Isen, and Roberto aren't deputy anythings yet.

Oh, yeah, and Rose. Forgot about her. (Ulrich is never going to let me live that down.)

To me this seems like a perfect time to remake the entire slate of officers! Viscaria's gone, but Mons Electi has three new magi, and maybe we can spread the workload around a little now. What are people interested in taking on, particularly Gerulf and Stultus?

Frumentarius. :slight_smile: (That was the title of the Roman Empire's secret agents at one point.)

Here's a stab at officer assignments. Of course this is just coming from my solitary warped mind, so improvements are very welcome.

[table][tr][th]Office[/th]
[th]Function[/th]
[th]Officer[/th]
[th]Deputy[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Aedilis[/td]
[td]logistical, magical[/td]
[td]Gerulf[/td]
[td]Stultus[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Diocetes[/td]
[td]logistical, mundane[/td]
[td]Tranquillina[/td]
[td]Gerulf[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Frumentarius[/td]
[td]intrigue[/td]
[td]Stultus[/td]
[td]Renaud[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Imperator[/td]
[td]martial, mundane[/td]
[td]Roberto[/td]
[td]Jacques[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Interpres[/td]
[td]diplomatic, magical[/td]
[td]Fiona[/td]
[td]Rose[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Princeps[/td]
[td]overlord[/td]
[td]Korvin[/td]
[td]Fiona[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Scutatius[/td]
[td]martial, magical[/td]
[td]Isen[/td]
[td]Roberto[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Vilicus[/td]
[td]diplomatic, mundane[/td]
[td]Alexei[/td]
[td]Tranquillina[/td][/tr][/table]
I tried to give every main PC character exactly one officer role; then I tried to give every NPC character a deputy role; then I filled in the other deputy roles while avoiding giving anyone two deputies. To meet these criteria, a couple of compromises had to be made; for example, I'm proposing moving Alexei from Imperator to Vilicus (where his Gentle Gift will be quite handy) and freeing up that role for Roberto, who seems a good fit for it. We can say that Alexei's duties as Normandy's Chief Hoplite required him to reduce his Mons Electi service load, perhaps.

Again, I might well have slotted people into roles they aren't interested in (or out of roles they are!), so please speak up. We can do this in character if we want, for that matter.

I have no problem with what you have for Fiona.

Couple of comments...

First of all, I'm not sure Frumentarius should be an officer-level position. At the moment, it's very much a paper tiger -- a chief with no indians. :slight_smile: Plus, even if it is an officer-level position, it certainly shouldn't be listed as such in any official documents.

Secondly, Stultus has no problem being slotted into the Aedilis position. For the moment, he'll do what he's told. (Enjoy it while it lasts. :slight_smile: ) His player, on the other hand, thinks that the Gentle Gift and tons of skill in social interaction make Stultus fairly well suited for the office of Vilicus instead. Just give him time to create a more appropriate public persona, and he's good.

Personally I view the officer roles as being more for the players than for the characters. In other words, we should make choices (that are somewhat consistent with what the characters would consider reasonable and fair) that enable us to better participate in stories that interest us.

So yes, Frumentarius might be somewhat narrower in scope than other offices (which are all deliberately vague), and certainly the characters would never want to include any such admission on a list they wrote down. But my putting it in the list above is an OOC indication that we are becoming interested in stories involving intrigue (and connected to skirmishes with other covenants).

I wouldn't have any problem with Stultus being Vilicus ('twould be an interesting character to send over to the local church or castle, to be sure). I was just trying to give everyone one main officer role, and found some nontrivial constraints arising from all these pesky Flambeau :wink:

As for Deputies, I think that's less about one person telling another what to do, and more about having a second default council-member to send relevant issues to, if they arise when the first one is absent or occupied. And again, mainly it's to indicate interest in appropriate stories. (I didn't have any good reason for putting Stultus as deputy Aedilis, other than needing to fill a few deputy spots and wanting to lean in favor of new characters to be as inclusive as possible.)

Very cool.
What do the duties of Imperitor entail?

Basically, maintaining the mundane of the defenses. Making sure the walls and fortifications are intact, improving them if needed. Making sure the turb is properly armed, armoured, and trained. Taking our contracts on our non-Hermetic foes. Stuff like that.

Excellent. That is exactly what I am best suited for. Where can I find the information on what I have to work with?

Perhaps Alexei will have to give it up as he will be traveling as Chief Hoplite. Or Roberto can be Festus to Alexei's Marshal Dillon as a Hoplite. :open_mouth:

Roberto is not Festus. :imp:

Baldrick to Alexei's Blackadder, then?
Or better yet, Verges to Alexei's Dogberry.
ducks

The Vicilus handles interactions with the mundane people that the covenant deals with, or is it specifically just the church? He's down with either one and I'm sure people will be ok with it, just as long as Alexei knows when to say when (don't want a whole troupe of Brionne's out there.

I believe it's all mundanes that the covenant deals with that aren't our covenfolk (that would be the Diocetes, Tranquillina).

No, the Vilicus handles all mundanes, within the covenant as well as outside. The Diocetes just handles the chattel, buildings, etc.
Vilicus is HR/Legal/Marketing, Diocetes is Accounting/Facilities/Physical plant management.

I'm happy with what you have there for Gerulf. It will help him become more familiar with the covenant.