Hooks? - Newest Ars Magica book announced!

Ooooh it looks like another new book has been announced! Sounds fun too. :smiley:

atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG0307.php

Oh, the fruit from the Open Call, i remember. I failed that... but i made this adventure:
mariojpcsimon.blogspot.com/2011/ ... do-la.html

Pass. Hope the next one after that has more meat to it.

Adventure books are a rare breed. Always useful, seldom profitable, and almost no one wants to write them. So glad to see another, and one I can use almost immediately.

I'm very much looking forward to this book. It was one of those that at the time I wished I'd had capacity to pitch for; it's a very cool concept. Now though, I'm glad I didn't as it means I get to read it without any prior knowledge or preconceptions. I'm not sure I even knew who was on that book, to be honest. Great to see some new names up there.

For obvious reasons I'm also looking forward to seeing this book. :blush:

I think it is one of those books which people either find very useful or doesn't catch at all. With all the recent discussion of introducing new players, and how hard the huge amount of ArM material is to digest this could perhaps lend a hand here. Even experienced players may find that a book they could never see a use for or a way into is suddenly an option.

Is it just me, or does it tie in (somewhat) nicely with certain recent threads?
Not exactly what those threads asked for, but related - or am I just being too optimistic?

The book is for the first term of 2014, so we will see. :slight_smile: Obviously looking forward to get my hands on it as well.

I think Ars Magica really needs adventures, so I'm very glad to see this published.

From the page, it appears we have about 17 pages per adventure, which is enough for some detail for a single-session adventure. I would have preferred longer adventures, played over several sessions, even a saga arc or (dare I say it ?) a complete saga. But eight 17-page adventures would be very welcomed, and I can see the business-sense in appealing to more SGs with more variety.

Now for the guessing game - each adventure is tied to a sourcebook; which ones ? My guess:

1. Realms of Power: Magic for "Ancient spirits live in the rivers"
  2. Realms of Power: Magic and City & Guild for "and sleep under towns and cities"
  3. City & Guild for "Merchants travel between those cities, bringing the mundane population together"
  4. Lords of Men for "while nobles fight and hunt from their castles of stone"
  5. "The dead do not all rest quietly" could be lots of things, but I guess Realms of Power: Faerie
  6. Ancient Magic for "and the traces of ancient magics take an active interest in the present day"
    This leaves two adventures unaccounted for; my guess is that a few of the descriptions above fit two adventures. Specifically, I'd guess:
  7. Realms of Power: The Infernal for another "The dead do not all rest quietly" adventure.
  8. The Church and Realms of Power: The Divine for another adventure, simply because this Realm is not represented yet.

Yair

The great thing is, I don't know a darned thing about the content in this book (checks memory... No, no, that all seems correct) so I get to speculate along with everyone else.

So, my speculation? They're going to be great! It sounds like a book consisting of what most of us try to do, which is to take bits of the books that catch our eye and write stories around those. Only, being a published work, you know it's going to have been through pretty thorough playtesting. And did I read that there is going to be support for telling further stories on that theme and/or expanding it to cover a saga?

One thing I do know is that I'm aiming to get a mini-saga going early next year, so these are going to be really useful (I hope - it all depends on getting that saga started).

Definitely looking forward to this one.

The cover has been added to the product page for Hooks. I'm in the middle of proofreading it before it moves on to layout. Exciting stuff!

Thanks for the heads up! :smiley: Now let's go in for a closer look!

Edit: Ooooh nice!

Yeah, I'm so getting this one!