A compilation of first magnitude spontaneous spells

I actually took the first one I found on Wikipedia.
I couldn't find the definition of a pace used in the book., what page is it on?

I guess you get more stuff, but you need to materialize it a bit lower to achieve maximal damage and reach the floor within 6s, it doesn't change much.

You get 10 times the volume of clay, but it causes 1/4 the damage, it seems like a good deal, especially since rock takes an extra 2 magnitudes...
I would calculate damage from the Impact table at +1 per 2 feet.
Let's say we drop it from 300 feet = 100 paces, that's still at least +75 damage if you count clay as "soft"

I was thinking dry clay, since the guideline doesn't specify.
Not cooked clay, mind you, although I sure hope that my brick road spell will be allowed :confused:

Yeah, if you materialize it high enough to need 6s to fall, it can be avoided easily.
You want to materialize it much lower if you're going for a moving target :slight_smile:

Note for future flattenings, easy shapes for 100 cubic paces are:

• Sphere of diameter 5.8
  • Circle of Diameter 8, depth 2
  • Circle of Diameter 11.5, depth 1

Attending the Stew-Pot

Rego Herbam 5 (Base 3, R: Touch, D: Concentration, T: Single)

A wooden object held in the caster's hands levitates on the user's command for as long as they concentrate. Young apprentices tasked with stirring pots in the kitchen or other inane tasks eventually learn how to perform the chore with nary a twitch of their muscles.

1 Like

Well, they didn't really make it glaringly obvious. When you see, you'll know why everyone seems to miss it at first.

The first mention of it I believe to be on page 112 of the core book:

though this requires you to know a round is 6 seconds. I believe the first mention of that is on page 172 of the core book:

and shows up more specifically than "about" on page 181:

Then do a little math:
10 paces/round * 3 feet/pace * 1 round/6 seconds = 5 feet/second.

I believe the first direct statement shows up on page 121 of the core book:

5 paces = 15 feet, so 1 pace = 3 feet.

Ya, I made that mistake, too. You'll notice the formula for that +1 damage/2 feet doesn't include anything about the object itself that is falling, such as a grain of sand v. an enormous boulder. That's for a person falling onto ground, a floor, or similar. Take a look at Ominous Levitation of the Weighty Stone.

Notice how those damages don't vary by height. You just need enough height for it to be considered legitimately falling instead of placed on something. I know it's weird from our perspective. But that's how it works in canon.

Frankly, I would not bother with "damage" calculations. One should use common sense here. If a 10-ton roughly spherical blob of viscid clay is placed even a hair's breadth over your head and let fall, you are crushed to death barring a successful dodge or magical aid, full stop. For a modern-day comparison, imagine a 2-ton large car or light SUV falling on your head, even from a hair's breadth, even if impacting with a rubber wheel.

Let a 10-ton blob of viscid clay fall for 100 paces onto a man-made structure ... Should one worry whether it's "soft" and "deformable"? Nah. There are many factors to be considered, but soft vs. hard is not really such an important one at those sizes (even on a smaller scale, have you ever thought why people use lead instead of much-harder-steel for bullets). Air resistance in this case is minimal, less than 2% than gravity just before impact; and loss of kinetic energy due to air deformation just negligible. Loss of energy due to deformation on impact is also relatively small: a man-made structure caves in far more quickly and absorbs much more energy than such a large blob of clay does.

I would just assume that one such a projectile devastates any individual stone structure less than 15-feet to the side (like a small tower) or any ship, and seriously damages anything between 15 and 30 feet (like a largish tower or a tiny keep). A few hits will destroy anything between 15 and 30 feet and seriously damage anything larger. Systematic pummelling for a score rounds (Diam i.e. 2 minutes) or three will reduce virtually any individual structure to rubble, and will cause serious damage to even a large castle. An hour's bombardment will destroy the largest castle.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

“Perdo cannot sharpen a sword” - Arm pg 78. Perdo makes things a worse example of what they are. Also Perdo destroys the whole property of what is destroyed. Perdo can remove hair, sure, but it will be in a way hair is naturally lost and not in a controlled manor.

I think the effect needs to be Rego. Though I can see making an item that destroys hair it touches or a spell that destroys hair one touches with their finger.

1 Like
1 Like

If I may ask, why not upgrade "The Caress of Magic" up to level 5 with R:Voice ?
If you can give climax to any character at voice range, it looks like a gentle way to disturb a prison's guard, a fierce opponent in a fight, or even a subtle way to vanquish another Maga during a Certamen...

Pie-Thieving Glow

Creo Ignem 5 (Base 2, R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Individual)

The caster causes any object or person they touch to glow with a clear, unwavering, smokeless light until next sunrise. The light is as strong as an oil lamp, perfect for navigating the deep darkness of Mythic Europe. Spell texts for this formula have several names, this being one of the ruder names a parens may give when an apprentice is stealing apples from the pantry with it. Moonlight is the parens -approved alternative for apprentices reading at night.

Debate Ending Curse

Muto Imaginem 5 (Base 1, R: Voice, D: Sun, T: Individual)

Anyone targeted by the Debate Ending Curse has the sound of their voice replaced by the croaking of a frog until the spell ends. Casting spells verbally without being able to hear your own voice adds one extra botch die to the roll. The caster's sigil often influences what breed of frog the Curse imitates. Several Tytalus magi have granted this spell to a green apprentice, knowing the child will inevitably bully someone with it so their master can swoop in to apply "discipline".

Shame Concealing Shroud

Creo Imaginem (Ignem) (Base 2, R: Personal, D: Concentration, T: Individual, +1 Complex Animation, +1 Ignem effect)

For as long as the caster concentrates, their body is concealed by a blurry black shroud and an uncanny droning hum, white pinpoint eyes glowing in the dark. Mundane folk spotting the caster might assume they have seen a ghost or demon. This specific version of the Shame Concealing Shroud works better in smaller communities with pagan superstitions; more contemporary cities might demand a white shroud to fit the local stories.

1 Like

... when you are in animal form, but just need to pick something up quickly, or write legibly.

1 Like

Changing into a human is base 10, not 3.

Have to go with a monkey paw then?

Should we fill up all the gaps in the list?

For Walking Among Lepers

Creo Corpus 5 (Base 2, Personal, Moon, Individual)

The caster grants their own body +3 to Recovery rolls for one cycle of the moon. Paranoid young magi often cast this on themselves while studying the dead and dying.

For Picking at Scabs

Intellego Corpus 5 (Base 5, Personal, Momentary, Individual)

The caster understands the immediate reason for any one injury on their person. In an age of Arcane Tunnels, sometimes minor wounds happen for no clear reason at all...

1 Like

Encase in Earth CreTe4
Base 1, Voice+2, Conc/Diam+1

Create 10m3 of Clay or Earth, encasing the target.

Option: +1 for Sun
+1 for 1m3 of Stone/Glass (encasing the head, or the arm if you're feeling lenient)

[i]I'm not clear on how Magic Resistance helps with breathing or even movement while subjected to this.

The explanations for indirect spells used by the School of Vilani HoH:S p30) insist on the fact that the created stuff doesn't touch the Magus, but how does the interaction work out if it does?[/i]

Aspect of the Quicksilver MuTe 5
Base 2, +2 metal, +1 touch

Transform a metal item into mercury for a moment.
It becomes liquid instantly (melting point -40°C) and resolidifies in its new shape 6s later.

A worn helmet will solidify in a very uncomfortable shape...

Extend to Voice range if possible

1 Like

For completeness's Sake, Core essentials :

Touch of Unraveling the Fabric of (Form) PeVi 5
Range Touch
Cancel the effect of a spell of lvl (20+ a stress die) (no botch)

Prying Eyes ArM5 p 144, see inside a room

1 Like

Make symbolic representations quickly with Rego Magic for Penetration or Charm Magic

slightly adapted from this thread

Stomp of the Detailed Mandala ReTe 5
R:Touch D: Mom T: Part
Req.: None
Stomp on a section of earth, causing the soil to raise up, compress, and settle into a likeness of someone who's appearance you know. A Finesse roll of 12 is required to make a doll of sufficient correct detail and quality for a single use roll of 18 for a reusable doll.
(Base 2, +1 Touch, +1 Part, +1 elaborate design)

By His Works CrMe 5 (HoH:TL p.73)
Duration Diameter rather than Concentration as per callen
Refresh your memory, hopefully in enough details to qualify for a +3 bonus on the Finesse roll for familiarity, as per HoH:S p62

1 Like