Muto Animal and Target: Part

Working on some spells, I note the Base 3 guideline "Change an animal's limb".

I an thus assuming you can construct a spell using that Base without needing to also add "Target: Part" to the spell.

Target: Part is a bit of a weird Target, truth be told. Is there a thread anyone knows of that discusses it?

Thanks!

Vrylakos

Yes, that guidelines must include Part in the spell, but you can with others ranges affect one limb of more animals.

Hm, looking over the Base 4 for Muto Animal, and the Base spell guidelines for 5 and 10, I am wondering how much a Base 4 spell can changer an animal's limb. Could it give a wolf a duck's foot? Allow you to give an animal a different animal's head?

For example, that can make the fangs or claws unharming for example, very useful and not really difficult.

Target: Group would that change change all the animal's limbs, one limb from all animals in a group, or all limbs of all animals in the group (providing the the group is large enough)

Yes maybe, i suppose that you can decide it when you are designing the spell. Or add and +1 to add an extra efffect.
To be exact an example:
Hoove of the predator:
Level 15
R: Voice, D: Diameter, T: part
You can transform a claw of a predatory animal in hooves. That make very differents thirs "claw" attacks. It's best with Fast casting.
Base 3, +2 Voice, +1 Diameter, +1 part.

Flawed claws:
level 20
R: Voice, D: Diameter, T: part
You can transform the both claws of a beast in less dangerous hooves.
Base 3, +2 Voice, +1 Diameter, +1 part, +1 to affect another Limb two.

Etc...

So, what about:

Paw to Fin
MuAn 10
R: Voice, D: Momentary, T: Part
The foreleg of a single beast of up to Size +1 is changed into a fin for a moment. This is generally sufficient for it to stumble, throw a rider, or otherwise ruin its attack for the turn. A stress roll of Dexteriy + Athletics vs. a difficulty of 12 must be made to stay upright. A botch can result in a twisted or broken fin, which becomes a broken leg when the spell ends.
[Base 3, +2 Voice, +1 Part]

Looks good to me.

Although, I think that I would have made the Dex roll to remain standing against an Ease Factor of 9. And perhaps hardwire in a similar Dex + Ride roll for an rider to remain mounted.

Hm, that seems eminently reasonable. I was just playing with spells last night, so the text needs another pass for sure.

Thanks!

Look at Pe An spell Blunt the Viper's Fangs lvl 15 Voice/Mom/Ind - it blunts the teeth, claws, whatever - all of them on the entire animal. With T:Ind! By this I'd feel cheated if having to use Muto with T:Part and added magnitudes for all 4 sets of claws on the lion.
Familiar example powers on p105 lists Razor Sharp Steel Claws with little detail. It's not clear if this is a Cr Te or Mu An or even Mu An (Te), nor what the Target is.

Since the spell is T:part, only the foreleg needs to be less than size +1... Which is rather important for affecting large creatures...