1227.3 What Happens Next

This is a general thread for roleplaying scenes after the Tribunal is all done. It could include discussions about covenant priorities, catching up on information gained, little mini-scenes, and so on.

One day, a little after the autumn equinox of 1227, Tranquillina calls Seumas to her receiving room. The servant Choiniere is there, beginning to clean the room, and also trying to catch Loys's attention whenever the young man comes through. Tranquillina has cast Disguise of the New Visage upon herself to appear in her late 20s and less frail, generally more maternal; she put a slight curl in her hair and lengthened it about five inches, leaving it to hang casually past her shoulders. She has also donned a simple long-sleeved white blouse and a long tartan skirt with matching sash.

"Make yourself at home, Seumas," Tranquillina hails him in Gaelic with a smile. "I hope you are well. You must be proud of the work you and the others did towards constructing the various parts of the Tribual city, and assisting Lady Viscaria with the materials for the magnificent bridge. Did you hear that the attendees were so impressed with the construction that they voted to hold the meeting here every seven years?"

"Yes, I am, m-m-maga," Seumas says. "We d-did a g-g-good job.'

"N-n-n-no, I hadn't heard that. I kn-kn-know F-F-F-Fiona was unhappy m-m-m-most of T-T-T-Tribunal, b-b-but I d-d-didn't kn-know why."

"She was?" Tranquillina frowns. She had been running around so much during the Tribunal that she hadn't noticed her friend's unhappiness. And since the meeting, Tranquillina had been pushing herself through fatigue to finish "In Flux Veritas", so that she could move on to the second tome written by Cannophori Methuselah before it is reclaimed by the Tribunal. Although, would the Tribunal's store of tropaea be kept at Mons Electi now, as Korvin had suggested?

She realizes that the pause had become uncomfortably long; rubbing her eyes wearily, she continues, "In any case, I hadn't hastened to speak with you after the Tribunal finished; I was happy to let you spend some time with Meadhbh, and Viviene as well before she was called back to the silk workshop to help Blanche. But we should now think about the next years." She looks kindly at Seumas, her lips pursed thoughtfully. "Fiona isn't the only one who wants you to continue to be happy here. What do you want to do, now that the intensive construction is over? Remain with the masons, helping them maintain our buildings? Go back to the fields? Or something else...?"

"Aye. I th-thought it was b-b-because one of her l-l-lovers was k-k-killed, b-but M-m-m-oire says it was b-b-before that."

Seumas thinks before answering. "I l-l-l-l-like b-being with my f-f-family, and n-n-not b-being away for d-d-days at a t-t-time. If I c-c-can, I want to s-s-stay with the m-m-masons."

Tranquillina does a poor job of hiding her disapproval that Fiona shares the details of her sexual activities with the covenfolk. ((Prs 2 + Guile 3 + stress die 0 (no botch) = 5)) She does resolve to speak with Fiona to see what has been on her mind.

At Seumas's clearly stated desire, Tranquillina adopts a perfunctory smile. "We can certainly arrange that. The flocks have been well tended this past year, so they should be able to continue without you. While there will be opportunities to use your experience with the stonecutting rings in the future, your skills with repair and fitting will become more important now. Speak to Erle, the head stonemason, to make sure your development in these mundane abilities is suitably handled."

Roberto sets up a small dinner party in honor of the Prima, to take place after the tribunal has ended. It is only fitting that, since so many members of this covenant are of House Flambeau, we should host a private event such as this )non-Flambeau members of the covenant invited as well of course). As for outsiders, anyone the prima does not trust is excluded, and any she insists on inviting are included.
Roberto needs help. But he is Overconfident and Reckless. But I need to overcome these limitations, and am willing to spend a point of Confidence do do so. Roberto has to swallow it. He seeks assistance from the other magi of the covenant.
Fiona. She seems to be the most social, and has a personal stake in this. And is the only eyewitness.

"Social." That's a good word for it :laughing:

But, yes, she would be honored to be there, and will wear her good "business" robes for the occasion.

"Social" is the best word for it. Her salacious activities are merely an extention of her being a social dynamo.
And Roberto wants everyone there, as far as members of the covenant are concerned. What he needs help with is setting the event up and making sure it is steered in the proper direction.
Which means that Roberto needs to confide in Fiona as to what his intentions for this dinner are.
1). I want to give Ariel all the information we have concerning the death of Apollodorus. As far as his notes, I think Korvin is studying those.
2). Valarian needs to die. Or be interrogated. Or both. If equipped with the right tools, Roberto can take him in Wizard's War. Or a member of an eliete Flambeau hit squad can. Lots of information could be gained by plundering his sanctum.
But wait, he is being transferred? Maybe he needs to sample some Hermetic Banditry while he is on the move. Then get killed.
3). Roberto himself is quite bothered by the prima's aditude and the sour company she keeps. The phrase "the task We assigned" is quite upsetting. You don't "assign taks" to Roberto, you ask him for favors or give suggestions as to how he may best fufill his duty. This shadowy cabal stuff is not befitting House Flambeau, and Roberto is not a pawn in a game of chess. Great generals do not play chess, they play poker. But anyway, Roberto needs a way to diplomatically put the prima in her place and set her straight. And if there is a secret Flambeau hit squad, as I joked about above, then this prima has corrupted the house of Enlightenment and needs to be replaced.
So Roberto needs to discuss this with Fiona. Not only is she the most social, she is the witness to the "death" of Apollo-boy and had an intimate connection to the one Valarian accidentally (accident my ass) killed in Dimicatio.

"Social" is the best word for it. Her salacious activities are merely an extention of her being a social dynamo.
And Roberto wants everyone there, as far as members of the covenant are concerned. What he needs help with is setting the event up and making sure it is steered in the proper direction.
Which means that Roberto needs to confide in Fiona as to what his intentions for this dinner are.
1). I want to give Ariel all the information we have concerning the death of Apollodorus. As far as his notes, I think Korvin is studying those.
2). Valarian needs to die. Or be interrogated. Or both. If equipped with the right tools, Roberto can take him in Wizard's War. Or a member of an eliete Flambeau hit squad can. Lots of information could be gained by plundering his sanctum.
But wait, he is being transferred? Maybe he needs to sample some Hermetic Banditry while he is on the move. Then get killed.
3). Roberto himself is quite bothered by the prima's aditude and the sour company she keeps. The phrase "the task We assigned" is quite upsetting. You don't "assign taks" to Roberto, you ask him for favors or give suggestions as to how he may best fufill his duty. This shadowy cabal stuff is not befitting House Flambeau, and Roberto is not a pawn in a game of chess. Great generals do not play chess, they play poker. But anyway, Roberto needs a way to diplomatically put the prima in her place and set her straight. And if there is a secret Flambeau hit squad, as I joked about above, then this prima has corrupted the house of Enlightenment and needs to be replaced.
So Roberto needs to discuss this with Fiona. Not only is she the most social, she is the witness to the "death" of Apollo-boy and had an intimate connection to the one Valarian accidentally (accident my ass) killed in Dimicatio.

That's good, she probably knows a good deal, but no doubt she doesn't have any of the extra that's been discovered.

As much as I want him to be taken out, it's unlikely to happen through us. For starters he can likely take any and all of us. A good plan can make a difference of course. But second he's not likely to travel mundanely, just port himself there. We might be able to raid some of his stuff and at high risk and little gain IMO. Once he's in Magvillus, he's out of reach, unless he comes out, which then means he's on the outs with Guernicus.

Roberto still thinks he could take him. With proper planning and if properlly equipped, he could take him.
However...
Alexi may wish to remind Roberto that vigilante justice is not condusive to establishing Law and Order in the Normandy Tribunal. To go off on an errand of vengence with only a hunch and hersay evidence, this is not the most honorable course of action :smiley:

Uh yeah, especially since that whole squire thing business...

[color=brown]I am your ally and sodale, but I cannot be called your "squire". My offer at tribunal was to be your deputy, a leuitennant to the Cheif Hoplite. I can be said to have been the squire of Joel Muniz and once squire for Santiago. But for seven years I have been Caballero, a Knight of Seneca and a Magus of House Flambeau.
But yours is the wiser, cooler head. Illumination of the elders dispells the darkness of nieve youth.
Still, I hunger to avenge the honor of our covenant...

((This was more out of character than anything, but here is Alexei's IC response.))

Alexei claps a hand on Roberto's shoulder. "Take no offense Sodale, the Squire term is an antique of this Tribunal, not a title I shall refer to you. As far as I'm concerned as Chief Hoplite, any magus who is assisting me is a Hoplite and I shall refer to you as such, feel free to correct others." he sighs heavily. "Regarding avenging the Covenant...it is something I most sincerely wish to do. I've made detailed plans on who to attack, when and with what forces. The problem is...every one of those plans either breaks the Code or involves Wizard's War on a scale that is not in balance with the crimes committed against us. I am not afraid to go to war, but I swore an oath when I joined the Milites to serve the Order more than my own desires." he sighs again.

"I suppose what I'm saying is, success will have to do for our revenge at this time Roberto. Doing well in the contests, and I understand you did very well. Heaping prestige on this Covenant and its wizards, these will serve as our revenge. And believe me, it will gall our enemies. I know how they laugh at my ways, my airs, both behind my back and in front of my face. But who is Chief Hoplite now? Who has been disgraced and recalled to Magivillus? Which Covenant shall likely host future Tribunals? Which Covenant has won the contests in the past? Who not only survived their previous attempts but has emerged more powerful? Let that fester in their cowardly bellies, and when they cannot help but step across the threshold of law and order, we shall be there. But, we must continue our investigation. E'ev though Guernicus is against us, enough lapses in their application of law and even they cannot hide from it."

((Actually, the term Squire used by Celeres is an affectation of the Praeco, and not part of the Tribunal. The term is used to identify an apprentice. He thinks that someone in such a position should have trained an apprentice.))

((Actually, the term Squire used by Celeres is an affectation of the Praeco, and not part of the Tribunal. The term is used to identify an apprentice. He thinks that someone in such a position should have trained an apprentice.))

bump

I'm not clear on what you're bumping. Tribunal is not finished, yet. Some things that Roberto wants to do, such as the dinner with Ariel are contingent upon the end of the Tribunal.

And there are other things that Roberto stirred up that can be restarted.

((I'll put this mini-thread here, even though it's taking place in 1227.2 - just after the Tribunal ends.))

Tranquillina summons Loys to her receiving room. "Young man, you have been doing an excellent job during this Tribunal, and I thank you on behalf of myself and the Mons Electi council," she lauds him. "Today, your primary task is a simple one - passing a message along; but its priority is above any other responsibilities you might have. And the message must be heard only by the magi of Mons Electi, or covenfolk whom you are absolutely sure I trust." She lists a very few names in the latter category: Moire, Helmut, Henri, Adeline, Mélanie. "The message is thus: Two magi have requested membership in Mons Electi. They are Rose ex Tremere and ... Stultus Maximus ex Tytalus." She has a bit of trouble getting the end of that sentence out. "I have invited them to dinner two nights hence, and I hope we can all be present. I also recommend a council discussion beforehand." She has Loys repeat the message to her, which he does flawlessly the first time.

"Ma'am," Loys stammers as he is being dismissed. "Thank you for your compliment - I have striven only to serve you to the best of my abilities." His Latin has been getting even better this last year. "At the end of this day's obligations - if it please you, ma'am - I have a request to, ah, request from you." He runs off, tripping slightly over the threshold, before Tranquillina can respond.