Custom spells

These items do different things. The tireless servant is an animate skeleton. It only does what a person can do, and is essentially limited to one task at a time, but it is capable of performing more complex tasks. This could (for example) hold a set of a dozen gemstones in a circle in the air, while stirring something on the other side of the room.

Tireless Servant also gives a safety bonus. The general rule of thumb they give is +1 lab characteristic per 20 levels. How about +1 safety then? Or what bonuses would you give it in lab work?

P.S. I'm not sure why the tireless servant has more than two charges, other than for hitting level 40. It can only animate itself and it lasts until sunset/sunrise. You'd need to use it twice a day and no more.

This is also true, however it feels to me like it is more likely to grant Rego +2 than +1 General quality, if it is actually installed in the lab, however I have difficulty seeing a wand as installed in a lab as opposed to just happening to be in the lab. Most of the installed examples have constant effects that are essentially always on and/or some significant connection to the lab such that they aren't being taken in and out at need or whim. As a wand it isn't even a hands free device that allows you to manipulate extra objects...

You could easily argue it allows you to change commands easily. At dawn, you tell Skelly Servant to stir this pot. Does or take a new 'Use' to order it to carry that stack of books?

For approval:

Andros invents in 1135 Trapping the Conflagration MuIg(Te) 30 Base 5 R:Voice D:Conc T: Part + 1 Size
Variant of Core p.142 Trapping the Fire

He can turn 1 individual fire of a house-on-fire size (10 times size of a campfire or hearth fire) into a small hard object, such as a gem or piece of metal. Once the object is broken, the flame returns, although it still needs fuel. Target Part allows him to affect even larger fires by transforming just parts at a time.

During 1135 Aurthor invents this one

STATUE TELL OF THE MIND THAT TOUCH
InTe 35
R: Touch, D: Conc, T: Ind
A variant of STONE TELL OF THE MIND THAT SITS that allow the caster to talk with artificial stones, such as statues.
(Base 25, +1 Touch, +1 Conc)

This should be Arduino's masterpiece

STATUETTE OF THE INSTANT REFUGE
CrTe 44*
Pen 0, 12 uses/day*
A tiny bronze statuette of an octagonal hut enchanted as a lesser magic item. When activated with the appropriate word, the statuette creates a small octagonal structure with a pointed roof, all made entirely of iron. The only room has a radius and a height of about 10 feet, while the walls are 4 inches thick. Each side is pierced by a narrow slit except for one side, where there is a door that can be locked from the inside with an iron bar.
(Base 5, +1 Touch, +1 Conc, +3 Size, +1 Complexity; +5 Maintain concentration, +4 12 uses/day*)

As for my calculations the total volume of metal should be less than 1000 cf. I dropped the elaborate design factor to +1 (Conjuring the Mystic Tower has +3) because the only part of a certain complexity is the door, for the rest the structure has one room and holes as windows.

• EDITED

A new spell by Aurthor

CIRCLE THAT MAINTAINS THE DEMANDING SPELL
ReVi Gen
R: Touch D: Ring T: Circle
As the spell MAINTAINING THE DEMANDING SPELL (AM5 p 162) but with a different target and duration.
(Base effect, +2 Ring)

as written the maintained spell(s) would have to be inside the circle...

Yes.

For example, a spell like Lamp without flame is casted on a object. Then you cast this spell drawing a circle around it, in this way you get a permanent light. At least until you take the object outside the circle or physically disrupt the circle.

Hi silveroak,

Question on MuVi: by using the guidelines for :
b)Totally change a spell of less than or equal to half the (level + 1 magnitude) of the Vim spell. This may change the Technique, Form, or both of the target spell, and needs no requisites for those Arts. The Vim spell affects the structure of the spell, not the things that the spell targets. A change in power of up to two magnitudes is a total change. Any greater change requires either Creo or Perdo to create more magical energy or destroy some.

...does this work?: a MuVI 50 R:Touch, D:Mom, T: Ind spell "As goes man, so does beast" that can alter Co spells of 25 level or less to become Animal spells with the same effect (as long as its valid, obviously). And a similar one for say, Mentem?

yes

A spell by Arduino

FLAMING BLADES FOR THE TURB
Cr(Re)Ig 35
R: Voice D: Conc T: Group
As Blade of Virulent Flame (AM5 p. 140) with different parameters. The Rego req prevents the fire from damaging the blades.
(Base 5, +2 Voice, +1 Conc, +2 Group, +1 Re req)

A couple of items that Arduino plans to craft for his lab

THE MAGICAL FORGE*
Cr(Re)Ig 50
Pen +0, Unlimited uses
This item is a great brass bowl with a diameter of about 50cm. A large flame hot enough to [strike]melt[/strike] soft and shape iron (the intensity is variable and determined at each use) can be summoned inside the bowl. The Re requisite ensures that the bowl is not damaged by continuous exposure to heat. The Magical Forge grants a laboratory specialization of +3 to Items and +2 Ig, it also adds one to the warping score giving the personality trait "artistic" to the lab.
(Base 15, +1 Touch, +1 Conc, +1 Re, +1 variable heat, +5 item maintains concentration, +10 Unlimited uses)

GARBAGE COLLECTOR*
ReTe(Aq) 25
Pen 0, Unlimited use
R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Room
When activated this bronze vase fill itself with waste, dirt and spills from a given room. At each activation is the user who decides what is to be considered actually garbage, for really messy labs a finesse roll might be required. When used regularly in a lab gives the Spotless virtue.
(Base 2, +1 Touch, +2 Room, +1 Aq, +1 specifically waste and dirt; +10 unlimited use)

*Items edited in accordance with the received inputs.

The forge will add 1 warping with the personality trait "artistic"

Hi! What's the Re for, if you already have a +1 variable? Is it to protect the item from the heat? If it can get that hot, might need +1 extra Re magnitudes.
How hot is the base to melt iron? Base 10 melts lead, but not instantly, right? Maybe 20 for iron/steel? (but I have no idea, really). Everything else seems fine to me

Yeah, the extra Re magnitudo is for protecting the item from continuous exposure to heat.

Hmmm, I don't know for sure either. I simply added one magnitudo to the base needed for melting lead, thinking it is enough for reaching a heat comparable to other medieval mundane forges.

Other inputs about that? What do you think silveroak?

For my own thoughts: 'to protect the item' meaning 'to protect the bowl', rather than the melted item, right? For the record, Olvierius very much approves of this item.
I'm also curious about the garbage collector- How does the item actually determine what gets pulled through the lab towards it? And as a cynical jerk, you may also have to worry about things being pulled to it knocking over beakers of chemicals and creating even MORE spills. :slight_smile:

For the trash collection I think this falls under "when activated" in that thje person doing the activation decides what is trash, though in a really messy lab a finesse roll might be required...

lead melts at 621.43 degrees farenheit. and has a specific heat of 26.65* Joules/mole-kelvin
iron melts at 2800 degrees farenheit and has a specific heat of 25.1 joules/mole-kelvin

also durring the middle ages a furnace which would actually melt iron was unknown (though ironically the temperatures were reached by glassblowers, but different crafts guarded such information jeaously)
as such I would say with magnitude 15 you could certainly soften iron to where it could be worked easilly, but not melt it

Even if my take seems too high (20 Magnitude), I will argue against Base 15 not being able to melt iron: Blade of the Virulent Flame, a Base 5 CrIg spell that clearly states that continuous castings will melt the sword after ½ an hour. So Base 15 should be able to melt iron handily, eventually, depending on volume, although not instantly.

Yes, for item I intend the bowl.

The answer given by silveroak is how I thought the collector could work, the finesse roll for messy labs is a nice touch to which I had not thought though.