The Spider chargen

Oh, the mustering

59 pawns left, -35 hermetic age = 24 pawns *4 = 96 pts

LAB TEXTS, which she spend the last season acquiring (some at magvillus, some at lycaneon) and/or salvaged from Insidiae's destruction (47 points)

• Voice from Hollow Spaces* ReMe 35 - 07 points
  • Rarefy the Crude Stone** CrTe 30 - 06 points
  • Personnal Ward against Metal ReTe (All Metal, Conc duration, doesnt affect personnal metal, +20 soak) ReTe 40 - 08 points
  • Lab text for a lesser item, a golden bracelet that casts Maintaining the Demanding spell, concentation, maintains concentration, unlimited uses per day, maintains lvl 40 spells ReVi55 - 11 points
  • Lab Text for Sight of the Active Magics InVi 40 -08
  • Lab Text for Obliterate the Shield (like Break the Shield, but lvl 35) - 07
    49 points left

BOOKS (29 points)

• Intellego Summa Q09 L20
    20 points left

ITEMS (18 points)

• Robes of the Spider, woven in dyed red silk, and with personnal constant Doublet of Impenetrable Silk (lvl 14) - 18 pts
    02 points left

WEALTH (02 points)
I use this to cover all her props from the Shape and Material bonuses that she uses to boost her spontaneous magic. I think I'll try to make a list on what she carries on her when normal and when needed.

• The goal for this is to imprison summoned ghosts that'll, in time, serve as magical sentries/watchmen and/or activate items. She learned this trick in Lycaneon, when someone inadvertently discussed Hermanus methods before her.
    ** The goal for this is to have bound earth elementals "stocked" in various points of the covenant, ready to be commanded by the grogs, or summoned and unleashed through a Watching Ward.

Nice 8)

Aging:
59 years => + 12 -2 bronze cord - 1 living conditions - 10 lvl 50 LR = 1d10=4 - 01 = 3.

And she takes 1 pawn of creo

Why did you add your age/5 rather than age/10?

Because I am ill and have trouble thinking :blush:

Fake Flying Carpet (Black Company-style):

A cadre of wood, on which a carpet is solidly affixed. The wood is a crafted item with the following effect:

• Base 3 (Control an amount of wood), +0 Personnal, +1 Concentration, +2 magnitudes for carrying extra weight, +2 magnitudes for extra speed = lvl 20.

Just holding on some designs if I do them one day. This also allows discussion.

Device maintains concentration? More than 1 use per day? As-is, if the person in control gets distracted, the carpet is going down and there is probably no stopping it. It also has a practical safe flight time limit of 15 minutes x Concentration.

Callen's comments are to the point.
Also, my compliments on having good taste in books, but... do you remember how much Croaker hated those flying carpets? And he was not a timid man. If your intent is to take grogs along, which the 2 magnitudes for extra weight seem to indicate, you might want to give some thought to their comfort. :smiley:

Indeed, this is another device that would be well designed with Auto Concentration and Unlimited Use.
Also, using the baseline of (mph= twice base magnitude), I am coming up with a speed of 10mph (base 3, +2m extra speed equals 5, times 2 = 10mph). Is that accurate?

a) Most shield grogs have Brave personality traits.
b) Croaker wasn't timid, but he really, really liked to complain. :slight_smile:

Yes, of course, I was just noting the base effect, as if it was a basic spell.
Only a madman would rely on his own concentration of prolonged flight. For flight at all, in fact :laughing:

Gee, thanks :smiley:

Well... She just doesn't think about it :smiley: And IMO, it's better if you have that carpet and the guys just loathe using it, or puke all the way (now, who's got Motion Sickness?) :laughing:

If/When she does it, it'll be as a Charged Item (gotta use that Craft Magic), so limited uses only. Although, yes, given the level, doing a few as lesser items might very well be worth it.

For the speed, your guideline doesn't work with published spells (Wings of the Soaring Winds would be at best 30mph, at worst 10), would also preclude any really fast spell (base level 40 to fly at 16mph???), nor with the +1 mag = x10 rules. But that rule also quickly gives insane speeds (even if it is used by teleport spells!), even if starting at only 2mph: +2 mag and you’re at 200mph!!!).

I usually tended to discard precise measurement in favor of the rough following:

• Slower than a man walking (Base, burdened). Say, 1mph if this is really important for you.
  • As fast as a man can walk (lowest applicable guideline.). This is, say, 4mph
  • As fast as a man can run (LAG +1). Say, 14 mph
  • As fast as a horse can run (LAG +2). That’s… about 30 mph
  • As fast as an eagle can fly (LAG +3, not very comfortable). About 80 mph.
  • Faster (never happened, would really need protection)
    If burdened by a weight at most equal to base Ind, I would take the speed back 1 step. Over that, no flight.

So, the carpet: The wood, by itself, would fly at 3mph. With too much weight on it, it wouldn’t even fly, but I’ve got 2 magnitudes to take care of that, cancelling the “burden” from people. The 2 extra mags pump the base speed, so it’d fly as fast as an horse.

Isn't it +1 magnitude = x(square route of 10)? I thought it went 5, 15, 50, or something like that. I'll have to look at the books when I get a chance. Perhaps I misremember.

There is a magical horse in RoP:M that has movement-affecting powers and has adjustments for Load.

I screwed something up in my base calculation.
I think what I was thinking is Base Level = Level sans parameters (R/D/T).
So, WoSW is base 20 (5, +2m Highly Unnatural, +1m Rego) = 4omph
Wizard's Leap (Base 15, 50 paces), if mastered and cast every round results in 1000 paces per diameter (one Roman Mile), which is 30,000 paces in an hour (30mph)

So for the Black Carpet, I now calculate 30mph as well (Base 15: 3, +2m Weight, +2m Speed)

And for whatever version of flight, being burdened does slow things down. Figure the carpet can carry (x) number of passangers with light burdens and travel at that speed, adjusted accordingly (as you calculate is reasonable I suppose).
And concentration is important. Carmen created her Talisman just around the concept of it concentrating on flight for her. If you check this page (scroll halfway down), you will see why.

Thinking on my above calculation (which can be tweaked when needed), I suppose we can back calculate speed per round.
Paces per hour = 1000 x mph. 20 rounds per diameter times 30 diameters in an hour equals 600 rounds in an hour.
So... (using the Roman Mile of 1000 paces)...
(mph x 10) divided by 6 equals Paces per Round.
Bae 20: 40mph = 66 paces per round (hawk in flight)
Base 15: 30mph = 50 paces per round (galloping horse)
Base 10: 20mph = 33 paces per round (something)
??: 15mph = 25 paces per round (a fit athletic human running)
Base 5: 10mph = 16 paces per round (horse walking)
Base 4: 8mph = 14 paces per round (average human running)
Base 3: 6mph = 10 paces per round (??)
Base 2: 4mph = 6 paces per round (brisk walk)
Base 1: 2mph = 3 paces per round (slow walk)

IIRC, 5, 50, 500, 1 league, 7 leagues, Arcane.

Thanks for the horse.

IMO, this is discutable on several levels.

• The +2 unnatural is due to the way the winds are created (that is, disconnected from any natural source), not to their strenght. That is covered by the base 5, create a very severe weather phenomenon (hurricane force winds), which is also the base for lightning. It thus shoudln't count
  • The +1 rego allows control of the winds, not extra force. So it shouldn't count either.
    => The speed is due to the hurricane force winds, that is, base 5 only. This seems logical: Someone swept in a hurricane will be carried quite fast, after all.

Really, you're putting to much into this, IMO.

For the record, I had a pleasant surprise yesterday, since someone in tC&tC thinks just like me: On p148, you've got a design for a flying carpet, that flies... "as fast as a horse can run" (yes, that's official now 8)).
For the record, it goes on like this (disregarding duration):
ReAn base 1 ("Manipulate items made from animal products")

• 2 very unnatural motion (since the base 1 does not really covers telekinesis)
  • 1 carry person on the carpet
  • 1 speed
    = lvl 4 for a carpet that, on its own, flies as fast as a horse, +1 magnitude to allow it to carry one person.

And that is something I try to avoid :smiley:
WoSW is 40mph (as described in RAW).
The Carpet gives you 30mph, as fast as a Horse runs.
'Nuff Said :slight_smile:

Spider of Magical Detection

Base level: InVi 20.
By putting this little spider in his hand and activating it, once can detect magic of magnitude 3 or higher: The watchful little bug will "smell" magic, and shake his legs once it does. The more potent the magic, the more you feel like you've got a spider moving in your hand.
Design notes: InVi Base 4, +1 touch, +1 Conc, + 2 Smell. In fact, the spider grants the person it touches the ability to smell magic, and it is that smell that is used for all purposes. But as a cosmetic effect, it insteads manifests as the legs moving.

cool idea :slight_smile:

Well, I'm trying to come up with a lot of "spider gadgets", traps and tricks she may do, since

1. She sucks at spont, so she needs to be prepared (which is something I love)
  2. She is a trapster, and what I want to do with her :smiley:

While she's talking to vulcanus, but I put this here so as not to derail the other thread:

Oh, by the way. I intend, among other things, to learn how to, and then to summon, earth elementals that will protect this covenant. Which poses the problem of their control.
I can get around it in various ways*, but these are all temporary, and I would prefer it to endure once I'm gone. The solution I've thought up relies on a constant item, able to maintain a Group of fourth magnitude spells. Obviously, this is a powerful enchantment, almost reaching the 8th magnitude**, but I believe that, if several andorra magi work together, we might be able to achieve it under a season as a Lesser item. Obviously, this is not something we'll do right now, but it might be doable in about a year. Would you like to cooperate on such a project?

• Namely by crafting spider gadgets of control. With a ReVi CT of 41, she can craft a Moon duration control spider with 3 charges.
    **ReVi gen for lvl +2 mag, +1 touch, +2 sun, +2 group => sustains (lvl - 3 magnitudes), so we need a lvl 35 enchantment. Add +4 for Constant effect.

Vulcanus is completely gobsmacked. "You want me... to serve as your lab assistant?!?!" His mouth opens and closes a few times.

He offers no further response, and this is likely the insult that sends him off back to the forge for the day :slight_smile: