1.3: Things Left Too long Buried

Sir Georgios get the horse and mounts it. He is steady on his feet, and does not look drunk, but possible ever so little absent-minded. Following the rest of the party, he is evidently more interested in the scenery, than the people.

Pavo asks "Which of the hills is it? Can you point the way?"

Pavo is enjoying the walk through the countryside and wants to see what the fuss is about.

<<Not in particular? Wait, not many people speak Latin here. I need to learn Greek. At my old covenant everyone spoke Latin. Well not proper Latin, but close enough that magi and covenfolk could sort of communicate."

Raven is worried about the knight. Maybe just bad luck, but how often is that really the case?

«Indeed. Nobody understands more than half of what's going on around here. Most people because they lack a language, I because I lack an ear. It is much the same. That's life.»

[tab][/tab] ''Its that one!'' the child points at the smaller of the two. From a distance you can see a bare hill, covered in drying grass and bushels of wild oats and circled at its base by small trees and bushes, mainly spiky oaks and laurel trees. It seems to be almost perfectly circular, like the domed head of tonsured monk. Your guided go towards the eastern part, where a dry gulch goes towards the mountain slopes (north to south), choke filled with green vegetation, brambles and wild fig trees.
[tab][/tab] Two creek birds that were shyly singing their hearts out stop at your intrusion. The creek has still some water after the rains, and the surrounding trees and bushes allow only a tiny glimpse into its murkiness. Tolis points towards the section of the hill that almost touches the creek where a young fig tree grows, unwilling to go further, then semi-hides behind his uncle. You can see something white almost gleaming in the shade of the tree. A closer look reveals a half-buried piece of marble, a statue of some kind of animal, maybe a lion or a dog. Scarred and pitted by weather, its snarling muzzle has long lost its teeth, one leg held high its paw broken off aeons ago. It barely reaches your knee, but its clear from its bulk that most of its body is still buried inside the hill.
[tab][/tab] One of you brave souls hazards going under the tree to have a look-see on the other side. There is a depression in the hill and covered by the surrounding vegetation, filled with a rock-slide of dirt and stones. The regular rains are slowly eroding the hill in this spot, washing off material into the creek below. The ground is sandy though instead of muddy. Almost on the other side, you can see another white rock covered in dirt. This one looks like another statue that has been hacked off or broken almost in half, its base buried in an angle. Part of its pedestal can be seen, faint writing on it in Ancient Greek ''ἀνδρεῖος'' (courageous).

The knight rides a round, or rather a figure of eight, around both mounds, to have a proper look of the area, and to taste the wild figs. They are ripe this time of year, aren't they? When the round is complete, he looks at what the others are doing.

Andreios is obviously the same root as Andreas/Andrew. Does it have to be the adjective (courageous), or could it be a proper noun? Greek grammar is beyond me.

(ST EDIT) Yes, the second batch of figs is ripe this time of year, smaller and sweater than the June batch. Andreas derives from 'ἀνήρ' (anir, meaning male or man), so they have the same root.

"Perhaps it's like the story of Androcles and the lion, only with Andreios and a lion? Maybe the original statue had a thorn in a paw or in a brave man's hand? Anyway, let me take a look" says Pavo.

He walks around the base, looking for holes in the ground or any suspicious tracks.

<<Well, this is why I'm trying to learn languages!>>

When they reach the figs Raven looks at them carefully. She wonders if something around here might be vis. She should invent a spell to do that.

Aristocles states "I can turn the blocking rock to clay so it can be easily dug out. Any objections sodales". Directing his question to the magi present.

"Do what seems apt, friend. Just make sure the actual tomb avoids damage." says Pavo.

Maia is content to watch the proceedings, although she chortles bit when she fully digests what Aristocles proposes, and mutters "Now they'll be a-wanting someone to dig this magic clay out and despoil their nice fair clothes! Typical."

<OOC She will keep an eye out for the strange dove that some times flutters around the knight. Perhaps some one else also notices it? OOC>

[tab][/tab] The figs are nice and ripe, succulent but not that big. There are quite a few fruit flies buzzing around, disturbed by your passing (and some of them actually are tiny, tiny non-threatening fig-wasps). A quite survey reveals no danger under the midday sun around here. Pavo surveys the broken statues, there have no holes or thorns and such. If what his companions have said about this being an ancient tomb, then it would have nothing to do with Hebrew stories. The pedestal writing is probably an homage to the bravery of whomever is buried here, the tomb of a warrior. Raven keeps herself back, pondering about vis emanations. She probably should ask Scylax about such a spell, she heard rumors about him from the others. The knight and mountain woman await the magi to make a decision, and Aristocles throws the idea of turning rock into clay. Maia is right; making the jumble of debris, the avalanche that seems to be blocking what you assume to be the entrance, into clay would mean someone would have to clear the clay away.

(OOC No comment on what Ignes said /feignsignorance)

As no one seems to object Aristocles casts Rock of Viscid Clay, ensuring no one is about to witness the spell casting except the covenant people.

Cast roll 6 + Casting total 14 = 20 vs 15 spell level (plus or minus aura is any)

If it casts he orders the grogs to did out the now soft blocking stone.

Raven will wait while the grogs dig out the stone.

[tab][/tab] The shale is turned into lumps of clay; some hardened particles, others wetter river clay. All of it is definitely softer. However, the only grog with you is Dinos, who stands well behind you arm around his nephew in a protective fashion (and maybe any personal grog you have brought? Doubt that). Someone has to put his/her back to it, with no tools at that too, or find another way...

"Well if we have no staff to do it I will dig it myself. I don't intend to waste my spell effect.". States Aristocles who starts digging chunks of clay out out the opening, piling the material carefully to the side with a view to replacing it if required.

The knight watches the proceedings from horseback with a mixture of awe, academic curiosity, and amusement. Mostly academic curiosity at the beginning, but tending more towards amusement as the magus starts digging. Fortunately, Aristocles does not have any eyes in the back of his head.

"Let me see if there's anything suitable to help dig with" says Pavo, who is too proud to shove his hands in the dirt. "If we can make a small opening I should be able to get in.

By the way, is anyone skilled at Rego Terram? I understand that shifting a sizable volume of earth isn't too difficult, but I have no knowledge of Terram magics."

Pavo then starts looking around for large sticks, flat pieces of rock, anything to make an improvised digging tool.

"Rego Terram I have some skill in, the ability to cast spontaneous magic I do not, hence why I am currently covered in cold slimy mud" comes Aristocles reply in a light, laughing voice. "Anyway manual labour never hurt anyone, you should try forge work for weeks on end"

Maia smirks as the magus dirties his hands and gets to work, but she nods approvingly. She watches the magi's interactions with great interest, and commits their words to memory. Perhaps she could be a more permanent part of Meru Mudi? Time will tell.