1.3b Perama Caves

Alexios follows Miklos down, eager to see what is on the other side.

As everybody seems to be going down, Arni prepares to follow. He watches carefully the acrobatics of the companions. Confident that he can copy the maneuver without risk, he starts the climb. We can always do the ledge above on the return.

<OOC Scylax reacts a bit late to everything, he was looking forward to Arni soaring to the ledge above! Always prudent to see if anything above can fall on our heads down below :smiley: . If the consensus is to go down, then he will follow, although he will await to see if the bowls are safe to step upon, he is profoundly unathletic! Since he senses nothing in particular, while waiting for the others to start the descent, he will Spont cast within the stalactite aura an InVi 10 Base 3 R:P, D:Diam +1, T:2 Smell Detecting magic regios spell:
(InVi 15 + 2 Sta + 1 Aura + 1 vigorous gestures + roll)/2, extra magnitudes for Duration and then Senses. Roll: _: 1D10 = [5] = 5, so 12, success, no extra magnitudes, will last only a couple of minutes, he will not immediately rest to recover Fatigue. OOC>

[tab][/tab] Slowly but surely you climb down the large plate shaped formations towards the new cave complex bellow. There is more moisture and less heat as you go down, several drops of water falling on you from above. The last part requires a jump down as there is a gap in the ''ladder''. Finally you are at the bottom and you can look around at your leisure.
[tab][/tab] The walls of the well are encrusted by limestone looking like melted wax, years of water depositions piling up. The floor is dominated by large plates of the same type as those you used to climb down, colored in vivid yellow, smooth and lipped, but no longer containing any water. Whatever droplets fall in the middle of the shaft, run off to the west, where a cavernous opening under the wall you just climbed down leads to another section of the cave. Large, ridge shaped stalactites dominate the opening, weird constructions of semi translucent stone resembling fans in descending coloration from brown to yellow to white at the fringes. And while there are smaller stalagmites mirroring them on the floor, the ground itself has an blue hue, like azure clay. A small channel has been formed on this blue ground, a wet looking groove of streaked dirty-yellow lines, going towards the western part. A few paces later you find a step going down into a cavern of blue.
[tab][/tab] In awe, you see a huge domed room filled with water. The path you follow splits the cave into two lakes, left and right, neatly dividing the space while continuing to turn slightly left. One could almost compare the whole complex as the whorls of a snail, looking from the inside. There is a lot of moisture here and the drops of water falling are louder and echoing in the darkness. High above you the ceiling is barely seen, a domed affair of dark blue to almost black rock. While you have been seeing large stalactites so far, this cave has small, needle thin formations of dark color, resembling dark icicles with white tips, like millions of stars in a dark sky. Bellow the formations are different too. Whether large, chunky blue stalagmites or slender bone-white fingers, all water-rising rocks have thin stone fringes around them, like lily pads. The right side pool is shallow, you can see the light blue bottom all the way to the far curving wall, where it takes a dive to some depths, like a groove going around the cave at edge length. The fringes here are few, with the largest on top at precisely water level, deposits from above spilling on the water surface and hardening. The left lake is much more deep, your light revealing an rapid incline from your path to untold depths. Darkness is absolute, you cannot even see where the cave wall on the other side starts. Still there are stone formations rising up, indicating some kind of bottom down there. These formations have multiple fringes you can see at various levels, the largest being two levels bellow the current water level. It makes them look like underwater laced axles of blue-stone.
[tab][/tab] Several times your path reaches points where the two lakes meet in the center. Sometimes it is a small, smooth canal cutting the way in half, placid water revealing no movement. Others the path arches over a ditch , like a bridge over a river. However soon you reach a point where a long cut in the path reveals very deep waters, a true strait between the lakes. The edges look sharp, as if an earthquake has broken off a bridge and tumbled it into the water below. On the other side the path continues still...

(The aura in this cave is still 1. Still no smell of vis. The right side pool you can easily walk on bottom, its very shallow until it reaches the cave wall. The left side one you need to be able to swim, you cannot see the end of it even with your current magic. The jump is an easy dex+athletics 6+)

«What do you think of that lake, Scylax?» Arni asks pointing to the deep left side. «Do you have one of those lighting pebbles? Maybe we see something if we throw it in.» As Arni has been shapechanging, he has not been able to hang onto the pebbles; he tried to give one to each of the three others.

Assuming that they agree to throw one into the water, Arni sponts clear sight of the Naiad (roll 8 + InAq 5 + Sta 2 + Aura 1 = 16, for level 8). Hopefully, the best thrower throws.

Arni, I will move the stone, please allow me to concentrate. <OOC Cast soft voice, no gestures Unseen Arm ReTe 5 Mastery 1 Quiet Casting/+9 , _: 1D10 = [3] = 3 = 12+ 1 (?) Aura - 5 Subtle = 8 OOC> My enhanced, abominable, and unnatural senses he shrugs with both humor and sorrow, remembering the earlier exchange with Arni may see what is hidden!

<OOC Scylax will move the stone around the cave, within Voice Range, and into the water, if he can keep a direct line of effect OOC>

[tab][/tab] Scylax moves the stone around inside the cavernous space, making the light play shadow figures on the walls and water. A quick scan of the limits reveal the ditch around the long curving cave wall on your right, a deep trench running around the perimeter for two to three paces depth and filled with clear water. The right side is seemingly vaster, Scylax bringing the light-stone to the edge of his control and still the light revealed no end in sight, no walls to hedge the water. Many more stalagmite formations are revealed, like skeletal azure fingers poking out of the water reservoir. Then he drops the light into the water itself, following the rapidly deepening incline itself. The water is very clear, made easier to see through with magics Arni casts. After some minutes seeking the bottomless depths, the light vanishes....

Interestingly, perhaps alarmingly, something has noticed our little fishing lure and has wrested it from my grip, or gulped it. Scylax does not seem alarmed but rather interested, he speaks in a clear, even tone. Not sure which, but this particular formula cannot sustain resistance, and so I cannot gauge the degree of alarm we should be experiencing. Might I recommend returning to shore speedily but in an orderly fashion? The shallower pool may be traversable, but if there is a threat of an... aquatic nature.. we might best be served by dealing with it on dry feet. he turns back without hurrying that much, but does tug on Arni's sleeve and gives him a meaningful look, so that the Slav magus can understand the intent if not necessarily the words. As he walks back, he says, Let's please deal with events peaceably, unless there's no other recourse. And mind the lights, we will not get far without them!

Alexios makes sure he keeps clear of the water, now that Scylax makes it sound dangerous.

Arni looks at Scylax and nods. Following after him, he quickly stoops and scoops up a handful of water from the deep lake. Once out of the lake cavern, he attempts a spont version of Image of the Beast, assuming that the water is an arcane connection to whatever dwells therein.

[Roll 9 + InAn 5 + Sta 2 + Aura 1]/2 = 8½. - level 5 is 3½ for penetration. Penetration ability is 1. Do I get x2 for the arcane connection? Well, it probably does not matter. If there is resistance, it is not going to be less than 10 anyway. Do I sense it if the spell is resisted?

[Hmmmm, I like the use of that spell, I'll allow it. Kudos!]
[tab][/tab] Arni cups the water and concentrates on what lives in there. The connection is tenuous, but since he was the creator of the light stone that was gulped, he manages to boost the magic a bit.

Arni mumbles in Slav as he is studying the water in his palm, «oh .. a giant carp,» he says, «blind it seems ... and there is shoal ...» Then he raises an eyebrow, « ... uh oh ... the little giant carp is junior of the shoal». [*]

He looks up at Scylax and stutters in Greek, «not sure ... is the fish magical or mundane? Do you sense them?»

[*] Is there in a use in magic lore, to discern a little more?

Carp? How big did you say, Arni? We should experiment again, with another lure. Since it is blind, no need to waste another light. I would need to get a good look, more than a few moments for certain, to discern whether they be mundane or not. lower voice Did your casting produce a lot of excess power, Arni? If not, this could be a sign that your junior carp is not very magical at all, if of an extra delicious size. winks Let us rest a few moments.

How many lighted stones remain? waits for answer. Here's what I propose: the fish are in the deeper waters, but the other pool is fairly shallow. Let us lure one of these, or however many come, through the open channels to the other pool. A lighted stone in the bottom, clearly illuminating for us to see, and we may learn a thing or two. We have some victuals, yes? waits for answer Please break them out, we may as well gather our strength and thoughts. Holds up whatever dried meat or bread is produced, breaks it part in many lure-sized bits. This should prove more irresistible and better for their digestion than Arni's stones! laughs. to the grogs/Companions: If this fish be so massive, we may be unable to transport it, so let's hold off on thoughts of trophies and stick to the tall tales.

He turns to Miklos:
Hmm, is carp a favored dish in these parts, Miklos, do you know? Carp eggs, maybe?

Confers in low voice with Arni: Is there any relevant lore on Magic Fishes that you might recall? (Scylax has 1 ML + 3 Int)

<OOC So the plan I propose is to rest a few minutes, then Scylax will spont a Vim Ward Against Magical creatures on himself, R:P , D:Sun, T:Ind, 3 Magnitudes to ward against Might 15, all extra power to Penetration, unless 15 achieved, after that to Duration, spont would be (ReVi 17 + 2 Sta + 1 Aura + 1 Vigorous gestures + _: 1D10 = [4] = 4 + 3 Confidence)/2 14 total, Penetration is 11, not so great, but the spell should protect Scylax from up to Might 10 fishies. Rest a few minutes , move towards the vicinity of the deeper trough between pools, if the fish is so massive it wouldn't fit through the shallower ditch. There, in the path, cast a Circle of Beast Warding ReAn 5 Mastery 1 Quick Casting/+9, see if Scylax can ward the entire party (useless against non-mundane animals). And then Cast no voice, Unseen Arm ReTe 5 Mastery 1 Quiet Casting/+9 on the bits of food, and start moving them on the surface of the deeper lake, right about where it was swallowed, moving them towards the trough, and the other pool, fishing. Will lose some on the way, sure, but should stir at least one of the fishes up. Then can examine the carp with Comprehend magic, or even spont an InVi spell. Sounds good? Suggestions? OOC>

«Junior was this big,» Arni says and stretches his arms wide to each side. «Didn't get a good view of senior ... just ... larger. It was a weak link for the spell. Maybe weak magic resistance barely overcome. Maybe just a poor arcane link. Not sure. I am sorry I don't have the arts to summon it. Let's try your idea.»

[tab][/tab] The magi do preparations wanting to 'study' whatever is inside the deep pool. Both Arni and Scylax seem to busy themselves with doing arcane stuff, while the three mundanes watch them or explore the cave a bit, outside the watery depths.
[tab][/tab] When ready Scylax tests his theory with floating tasty morsels of food on the surface of the placid lake. Fifteen minutes later, it is apparent that something is wrong. No fishes bite. In fact, you can see no movement in the lake and no ripples apart from those created by the moving lures and the falling droplets. No carp appear or follow the lures to the other side....

I knew that fishing required patience, but I am beginning to think I have no talent for this! I assure you all I grew up in a port town and absorbed as much about fishing as anyone could ...without becoming an actual fisherman! Scylax is apologetic Why do they not bite! He moves near the edge of the strait, with one of the lighted stones. Is there movement in the water nearby? How deep does it look at this crossing? He is thinking furiously. To Arni: My speculations have led nowhere, but I will keep on making them, bear with me! Pause. You are sure they are blind? Hmmm. Pause. That would suggest other senses enhanced, but they do not bite. Pause. So maybe I am luring them with the wrong bait? Pause. Was it because the stone swallowed was ensorcelled? Can they detect the flow of magic? Hmmm. Longer pause.
<OOC Scylax will spont a Creo Vim spell on a stone, tainting it with Magic: CrVi 10 Base 3 + 1 Touch + 2 Sun Duration, extras in roll go to Duration: (CrVi 14 + 2 Sta + 1 Aura + 1 Vigorous gestures + _: 1D10 = [8] = 8 )/2 = 13, just enough. Rest a bit, then use it as a lure with Unseen Arm ReTe 5 Mastery 1 Quiet Casting/+9 again, no voice: +_: 1D10 = [6] = 6 + 1 Aura - 5 Quiet = 11, success OOC>

Scylax begins trawling the deeper waters more carefully with lure v.2.

[tab][/tab] With a plop, lure no 2 disappears. Despite your focus on it, you saw nothing approaching it, nor what took it. The only ripples on the pool were from the movement of the lure itself, up until it went away, then calm. Even Scylax seems not to be able to detect anything...

Again! But more fascinated than frustrated. Lost it. But to what? To the others Did any of you see anything? Perhaps we need an actual fishing rod...of extra heft.
To Arni, conversing in a low voice (perhaps won't be understood, but well...)
But Arni, I think it took the lure! It senses the flow! It may see it as food! Your magic carp may feed on magic, ergo, vis! So perhaps somewhere in the vicinity, at some point in time there may be a harvest, perhaps regularly, so that these magic eaters may thrive! Pause. For all we know they may be sleeping like bears,most of the time. Pause. more uncertain What do you think, Arni? This may be a momentous discovery, but I am afraid my skills are not up to the task.
Later.
We could cross over, follow the path, you and I, through our talents. Should we chance it? The others could follow wading the other pool, but this place now hides a mystery and I would not have them risk their well-being on a whim. Ahh, Hades, I must sound like such an old maid. Concerned over carps, they'll snicker back at Meru Mudi

«Eat magic, you say?» Arni asks with hesitation, «Creo Vim, then? Maybe.»
He picks up one of small pieces of meat, stares at it, and gives to Scylax.
«Try this then.»

The spell is a CrVi «general level» shell type spell. He considers what he knows about magical creatures ([url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=209614]Magic Lore 1 + Int 3: 4+1D10 = 4+[2] = 6[/url]). If he knows enough to guess what the fish eats, he uses this guideline: [quote="ArM5 p157"] Create a magical shell which gives false information about the target to Intellego spells with level less than half its (level plus one magnitude). [/quote] Otherwise, he uses this: [quote="ArM5 p157"] Create a magical shell which looks real to Intellego spells with a level less than twice its level plus one magnitude (this aura is generic “magic” only — no misleading information can be supplied). [/quote] I suppose the creature's might takes the place of the Intellego spell to see through the shell. Or what do you think?

He uses touch range and conc duration. Leaving most of the work to Scylax, I suppose I can maintain concentration.
Casting roll: CrVi 12 + Sta 2 + Aura 1: 15 + 1D10 = 15+[4] = 19
So the spell level should 9½ (spont, exerting). I.e. the level the In spell needs to beat is 2x (resp. ½x) 4½. Not great.

[tab][/tab] Lure no 3 is devoured too, with no sign or sight of any fishes.