1205 Spring - Late Arrivals (Story)

Celeste was surprised by this turn of events, and her mother's voice was booming in her head "Find out how, and I can be with you!" A part of her wanted to be with her mother, but having spent all these years with her mother's ghost, it didn't feel too different... but she was curius.

"I hope it's not a problem, but are you a ghost inhabiting this body?"

"I do not believe so. Hermetic Theory postulates that a ghost manifests after a traumatic death. I believe that my lares simply that wandered after death and came to inhabit this body. Master Leonardus thought it had something to do with a Twilight expêrience he had shortly before, but was never sure. He just accepted me as I am. Master Leonardus was a very accepting person."

"I will certainly not pry, unless you ask me to investigate. But I must say that I am curious."

Celeste looks over the valley from the terrace. "I am glad that Leonardus has sent you here to set this place up. If Quintus Clusius would accept us, I think that it would be a wonderful place for myself and Alba to set up our own labs here, and become members of this covenant."

Alba followed Julius gaze direction when he told her about the companions and she found Stella close to him. Alba didn't said anything, but she felt more confortable knowing where was the feline.
For her part, Stella, seeing itself discovered, just walked around him and returned with Alba, feigning indifference as if she had never intended to do anything else.

Listening to the surprising explanation from Julius, and being able to see his true self, Alba went mute for a moment with her typical relaxed expression, before she talk again: "I don't know what is a lares, but in any case, being inside that body must be... I mean... Can you taste thing? Smell things? Can you feel my touch?" - she said while she took his silvery hand with her. Al least he was able to listen and see, but even then he surely felt like in a prison... After all, he was a human once... Maybe they could do something to help him?

Then she noticed that she was invading his personal space and doing a lot of questions and got red. She knew from past experiences that both things could be annoying for people.

"I-I'm sorry." - she said while she moved away her hand - "S-surely that was very rude from my part..." - even with her sudden shyness, her tone or expression didn't really changed.

After Celeste's last sentence, Alba agreed with her head, still red and in silence, without wanting to add anything else.

"Where is the food?" - a bold, more pragmatic and completelly visible Stella asked from the floor, next to Alba.

"I have no need nor ability to eat, and no sense of smell. I can feel touch, though I do not know if it the same as yours. My memories of my life as a human are incomplete. I know who I am and the subjects that were of interest to me then. The lares is the spirit -- a word we romans used when invoking the spirits of our ancestors who lived in our houses along with us."

Turning to Stella, "The food is inside. If you will follow me, I will lead you to it."

(Assuming the maga and their companions enter the door, eventually.)

The door leads to a fairly large hallway, with a high vaulted ceiling of wooden arches and paintings hung on both sides. The paintings appear to be of nobles, churchmen and craftspeople in various scenes of daily life. Windows above the outside door bring in light into the hallway, but its very brightness leaves some areas in deep shadows.

Once you have entered, Julius closes the door and leads the way inside.

Alba was surprised that Julius answered all the questions without seeming upset. Not noticing that Julius seemed to be as expressive as herself, she chalked up his responses to him being kind.

"Thanks for you patience Julius... please, you are free to tell me if I overstep some limit... I'm not very good noticing them." - she told him before she walked through the door, accompanied by Stella.

Her gaze swept the room and after looking twice at the paintings, she couldn't help but trot towards to get a closer look at them.

"I would love to be able to paint like that... but I'm a bit clumsy I'm afraid." - she said to no one in particular, without taking his eyes off the paintings. - "Julius... How old are those paints? There is some history behind them?"

"I do not know. These paintings were brought back by Master Leonardus from his travels." With an inclination of his head to the right, he adds, "Last time I saw these, they were near his sanctum. Of course, that was about three years ago. Good to know they are still around."

He leads the small group along the hallway, then through a door into a large hall with long tables along with many chairs and benches. A tablecloth has been laid at the end of one of the tables, with some food on platers and drinks in pitchers. The food apprears simple -- cheese, bread, jams and such -- while the drinks appear to be some local ale and some milk.

Alba found curious that Julius hadn't know about those paintings for so long when they were just at the entrance... yet maybe somebody moved them recently.

"This place is filled with history. I like that, it feels like in some way we are connected to the ones that preceded us." - she said with a bored expression while she started to slowly walk, following the group to a large hall.

Nearly immediately, Stella jumped into the table and started to sniff the food, so Alba moved towards her and gave her a piece of sausage. Then Alba looked around and noticed that the place felt too big for so few people... and that in fact, they had not seen anyone else.

"Where is the other people?" - she asked looking at Julius - "I've noticed that there is a lot of buildings around here, and even this room is big, but we haven't come across a soul since we left Chastillon."

"It isn't always the case, maga," Julius shrugs, the first clear expression of feelings you have seen it from him so far. "The magical aura of this place is strong, and it is peculiar. Things inside the buildings -- and even their outside appearance -- tends to change over time. This hall, for example, will appear slightly different tomorrow. Its size and proportions could change. The furniture might have migrated and be replaced by something that was elsewhere. Perhaps the eating all is now larger because we've seem an influx of new people, with the arrival of magi and their entourage. One tends not to really notice it after a while."

"But it means that it can be a bit confusing for newcomers, since the corridor you took last week to move from the library to the eating hall may not be there. Or it could be there and lead to a storage room instead. Many of these changes happen slowly, particularly in areas that are regularly used."

"But it is true that there is much more space here than is needed for the number of inhabitants. Master Leonardus had a vision of what he wanted to do with the place, but he never shared it with me. He would visit once in a while, giving instructions to us about building a new tower, or a new wing of a building. He would often change his mind from one visit to the next, particularly in more recent years, so that some buildings were never completed. Master Clusius is more consistent. Since he arrived, he has had us work on preparing our home to host additional magi such as yourself. But even he had to change his plans several time, as magi who had previously shown an interest decided not to join him after all."

A strong magical aura was good news, but imagining the place changing randomly... specially the lab, wasn't so good. Not just she imagined that it could be dangerous with some laboratory projects, but she also liked to have some order in her life... knowing that a day she could get up from the bed and find herself inside a dragon lair was... not a great idea.
She would want to know more from first hand from other magi that were living there, to know if it was so bad as it sounded. She also looked to Celeste, to see her reaction, before looking again to Julius.

He also explained about the towers around and the seemingly chaotic idea from Leonardus. She understood that a good amount of the grogs also leaved when Leonardus passed away and maybe even with those previous magis that didn't joined at the end to the covenant.

"Thanks Julius. So there aren't a lot of magis and grogs here right now... Thats sad."

Alba took another sausage like the one that Stella was nibbling on, and she took a bite. Immadiately, her eyes opened slightly more. That was a subtle reaction well known to Celeste... in all these years, she had not yet heard Alba say that any prepared dish was less than delicious.

"Mmmm! This is delicious." - said Alba, predictably - "Those are different from sausages of our land... those seasonings give the food a very interesting flavor."

Alba took the plate with the sausages and brought it closer to Celeste - "Give it a try C, it's really good." - she said to her, looking very serious as always. That was typical, too, something she started doing after leaving Celeste without tasting some dishes several times because she ate it first. And Celeste know that what she really meant with that was something more along the lines of: Pick now what you want so I can eat everything else.

Normally Alba didn't go crazy with food, she could even go without eating one o several days without even noticing if no one reminded her, but when prepared dishes were placed in front of her like that and she tasted them, she couldn't help but eat all of it. Celeste had seen her eat enough for her to seriously wonder how someone so small was able to introduce so much food inside.
From what Celeste knew, and what she had read between the lines from Alba's past, it seemed that Alba had starved on several occasions during her childhood, and that she had basically fed on raw or very simple food. So for Alba, being able to eat cooked dishes was cause for celebration. Every time.

Meanwhile Alba's eyes darted from the food to Celeste several times, her body still as a statue as she waited patiently for Celeste.

A few minutes after you are seated a man arrives. He has curly hair, long enough just to cover his ears; his left sleve dangles empty.

"I though I was going to be the last, Simon took some time to navigate to my tower. It seems the door on the east wing changed places again" he says to Julius before turning to the others.

"Welcome, sodales. I'm Regulus of Guernicus. I was told you already had the opportunity to meet my servants, and I hope they have not left you a bad impression."

"I hope you can trust me with your problems if you have any need for legal counseling while you are here... But I'd rather you need no legal counseling at all, if possible."

Regulus sits across the magas and picks a serving of bread and cheese.

As Alba and Celeste were talking with Julius, a few servants and workers start arriving in the hall, either alone or in small groups. Looks like the time for lunch is close, and they sit down -- at some distance from the magi -- speaking to each other.

When Regulus arrives, Julius takes his leave, saying he will go look on Master Clusius to see why he hasn't arrived yet.

Celeste was admiring the hall while Alba and Juilius were chatting, though she was listening as well.

She was munching on the sausages, enjoying the taste, and even gave one to Lencor to try, She knew he didn't need to, but it was nice to see him make the attempt.

And when the Magus arrives, she gives him a smile, and a nod. "Welsome Sodales, My name is Celeste, and this is Alba, of Merinita. We're delighted to meet you, and your servants have been kind and courteous." And she leans in a bit "I do believe Angus might be a handful, but he's quite nice."

"I do not plan to enter a position where I might have legal issues, but it's good to know that should it come to pass, I can turn to you."

When Celeste mentions Argos, Regulus just nods.

"He has gone through much recently... I'm still learning how to deal with him, to be honest."

A mug of ale flies towards Regulus at one glance and a few softly uttered words. He holds it with his right hand and takes a sip before going on.

"On that note, he could benefit from company at the same age. I suppose neither of you has an apprentice? Or kids?"

(OOC: Would Regulus be able to see Celeste's mother? Per + Second Sight + Aura is 9 before rolling.)

Celeste nods at Regulus's words "If you need any help with the boy, let me know. While I do not consider myself an expert on kids, I seem to have a good influence on most males. Thanks partly to my Gentle Gift."

Celeste raises a slight eyebrow at Regulus' use of magic, but remains silent, knowing that the spells she has might cause more mayhem from those unfamiliar with them, than would be useful. There will be time enough later to show off.

"I have not taken any apprentice, as I am not yet ready for that, as you've said, I do not wish to bring myself in violation of the law. As for kids, I plan to have one or two, before I take the Longevity Ritual."

Regulus's sight can spot an older woman, or the image of one, right behind Celeste. She seems similar enough to her to be considered a close kin, but it's clear she's not flesh and blood. She seems to be dressed in a nice gown of red and white colors, but on a second glance, it's clear that the red comes from blood, as there's a gash in her chest.

"It's only a violation if your apprentice's Gift ends up failed due to your hastiness. That would be a terrible loss both for the Order and the apprentice. I have a personal project to make all such minor damages to an apprentice a minor violation, which I would appreciate if we can discuss later on."

A knife flies through the air with another casting. It moves back and forward as Regulus holds a sausage with a fork slicing it. The magas easily spot the trappings of a formulaic ReTe spell. Celeste notices Regulus gazing above her shoulder from time to time, and it's clear he can see her mother, but he says nothing about it.

"But well,for Argos, yes, I might accept some help in the future. As for company, I think he will need to learn how to play with the children from Chastillon... Well, first he needs to learn the language, I suppose."

"If you can pardon me being a busybody, what brings you to join Tugurium?"

Alba went to the table with Celeste and started tasting other dishes as well. Without exception she expressed her approval with each one of them. Meanwhile, Stella had finished her sausage and was resting curled up.

A little later, the grogs began to arrive to eat. Alba looked at them curiously, when she noticed that a man was going directly towards them. Julius said goodbye and the man replaced him. He introduced himself as Regulus, a name Alba remembered the boy Simon had mentioned.
She quietly ate while Regulus and Celeste chatted. Alba watched undaunted as she took bite after bite, her gaze shifting between the man's face and his missing arm.

The question he asked them about whether they had apprentices or children surprised her... but her mouth was too busy to say anything. After Celeste's obvious response and the magus's retort, Alba was struck again that Regulus didn't seem to know the law of apprentices... even she did...
She swallowed as the knife flew towards the man.

"We are only tyros... by law we cannot have apprentices." - he answered, speaking for the first time since the arrival of the magus - "And if we had kids, they would be here with us." - she added, without breaking visual contact with Regulus. It wasn't a menacing gaze at all, but a very serious one indeed - "Where is Argos and Simon? Why they don't come to eat? What are they to you?" - suddenly she started to shot questions. Her direct way to asking and her serious look made it sound like she was judging him.

"I don't want to be a peregrinator forever, Tugurium is close enough to the place where my mother resides, and being a spring covenant means that even a young maga like myself should have full access to it." - she answered in a very direct and practical way before changing the topic - "We have just learnt that the aura of this place can move and change things and buildings." - she pointed then to the Regulus missing arm with her daga - "It's that due to it? Because if it's, I would find it very worrying."

Alba had been silent for a while, but apparently once she had broken through the first block, she wouldn't stop so easy.

"Tyro... That's related to the particularities of Rhine, if I remember? I'm not privy to the entirety of it's peripheral code yet, but I don't think law can forbid one from having an apprentice." Regulus face gets a bit ugly.
"That would be deprivation, in a way." He drinks from his mug, pensive.

"But I see neither of you are keen on having an apprentice before being ready, and I appreciate that. Improperly opening the Arts of an apprentice due to your lack of expertise is a low crime, and something I'd personaly pursue on Tribunal." Regulus says in a very serious tone, leaving no doubt that he would do just that.

When Alba asks about the boys he answers:

"They are both my servants. Argos stole honey from a woman in Chatillon, and is reflecting on his actions. Simon is watching him to make sure he actually reflects. Simon will eat later."

He looks back into Alba's eyes, the 'Argos will not eat today as a punishment' implied, but not said. That's as far as he will go to answer her "judgemental" tone. Finally he adds:

"By the way, I have no kids either."

Regulus listens attentively while Alba explains her reasons for moving in, nodding from time to time to sinalize he is hearing... And is taken by surprise by the sudden change in the direction.

"This... No, you don't need to worry. This is not due to the covenant's aura. As far as I am aware it changes only the buildings, not the people." He hesitates for a moment, the knife still in the air. It's clear he is not sure on how to move on from that.

"It's... a particularity?" - Alba tilted her head slightly as she thought - "I always thought it was something general..." - she focused her eyes into Regulus again - "Sorry, I don't have more insights about it." - she said while brushing a lock of green hair from her face.

After the explanation about where both boys where, Alba didn't change her expression. She opened her mouth to take air to talk, but shut again, thinking. Then she answered.

"So... I'm not sure If I understood correctly..." - she bit a little of bread, leaving a crumb in the corner of her mouth - "From what I understood, Argos already ate a good amount of honey and he is resting so that he does not feel bad in his stomach, and Simon is being punished to ate late... Maybe because didn't he watched upon Argos before to avoid him stealing the honey?"

When Regulus explained that the aura didn't changed the people, Alba just nodded without changing her expression.

"I am glad to hear that..." - she said - "But... It's so problematic as it sounds? I'm afraid to install something into my laboratory and getting it dangerously missaligned or lost because of that aura. It's because of that effect that some previous magis left this place?"

Celeste struggles to keep a straight face as Alba digs in with her questions. For once, since it's not directed at her, she can appreciate the fun of watching it from the side, but she was ready to step in, if things seemed to get out of hand. No need to insult their fellow Sodale, especially a Guernicus.

"I too, am looking for a place to settle in, and not be adrift. But I also need a solid base to come back to from my travels. As a Quesitor, you might appreciate that I am trying to discover who killed my mother. I have found some clues, but nothing conclusive." She noted his looks, and figured he might have some means to possibly see the ghost of her mother. Luckily for him, she thinks, he doesn't have to hear her occasional nagging.