1205 Spring - The First Wave (Story)

Wolfgang clears his throat. "It's only one magus or maga from each covenant, who must agree to sponsor. The advantage of the Rhine is that they are quite happy to push outward on their borders at any opportunity. I think I can be confident in getting us someone from Durenmar, but as I said, Fengheld will be tricky. Dankmar will do nothing for anybody, but there are very few of them, and one of them might be bribable. There's no rule against quid pro quo. Then there are a bunch more covenants, that I have little relationship with, though I have good chance with any who have an member of the Eschengilde in residence. I will need to do some correspondence, and get back to you, if we go the Rhine route."

Eikona interrupts: "I used to live at Fengheld. I know a few nice magi there."

She falls silent again, absorbed in memories.

Marcus looks at all of his new sodales thinking he can sense some sort of resolution in the room

"So are we heading to the idea of asking for membership in the Rhine? No one seems to want anything to do with Normandy, and... I don't think I honestly believe that the greater alps would accept us."

"I'd very much like to head to a hot bath before that decision is made." Regulus seems to move his missing left arm, as if there is something bothering him.

"But for a more practical comment, I think Clusius original idea was good. We should gather information about the Tribunals, not only on the formal procedures, but on who would support and who would oppose us."

"As for Normandy... I know it seems like a bad choice, but we have many ways of protecting our interests, so it wouldn't be that bad of a deal. And given the choice between laws that might seem harsh but that we can maneuver and a land of barbarians with no law, subject to the whims of the covenants and not the Code, I much prefer the former. I hope you take no offense" - Regulus amends quickly at the end, looking at Marcus and Wolfgang apologetically.

Wolfgang shrugs. "I'm not offended, but I don't agree with your characterization of the Rhine. I'm all for struggle and conflicts, Tytalus aren't the only magi who understand that struggle breeds strength. But I will request a thorough review of the rules around raiding and so on, not necessarily right now, but before any decision is made."

April 3rd, 1205

Clusius raises his right hand, "We won't solve this subject today or even this month, so let us agree that we will need to obtain more information -- both official and officious -- before we make a final decision. For now, I suggest that we recess for the day," he inclines his head towards Regulus and Augustus, "so that our latest arrival and guest can rest and recuperate from their journey. Augustus, I am correct in assuming that you will at least stay a day?" The elder Quaesitor nods.

Turning back to the other magi, "Do not hesitate to seek me out if you want some subject to be discussed tomorrow morning when we resume our council."

(OOC Let me know if there are subjects your magus wants to discuss in council next. Or if your magus wants to have a private conversation with Clusius.)

April 4th, 1205

The next day, the magi are gathered again. After opening the meeting, Clusius speaks, "Yesterday we discussed different possibilities regarding the future of our covenant. As I mentioned, I would like one of more of you to summarize the benefits and disadvantages of joining each of our neighbouring Tribunals, and seek out some of the more important covenants -- or individual magi -- in these Tribunals to see how an attempt by us to join would be viewed. Any volounteers?"

Marcus looks troubled.

"I'm not a great diplomat. I have lived and worked in the Rhine for most of my life now... "

He pauses whistfully for a moment

"It has its problems. Durenmar has a strong influence on the tribunal, and its strong influence has also meant that their are covenant politics over everything. Personally, I also hate that they give votes to dead magi. When I joined the order I was proud that my voice would count and be heard by my peers, but it turns out that several magi have the voices of the long absent to amplify their own."

He looks around

"The gilds bring more politics, but it seems to me more .. useful? I mean the gilds have a stated goal and work for more than just personal advancement and temporary power. While I never joined one, I can appreciate them as an idea, I suppose. More positively the covenants are often established and rich with many books. This makes them wealthy customers, which I value. The peregranator system is also a good may of making some income for a covenant, since they pay in service or via for being at the covenant."

He turns to talk to the princeptS

"However I don't think I could be your diplomat for this l, because there are already covenants angry at me for some political naeivity of mine when I was newly gauntleted, and because of an experimental mishap more recently. "

He has the decency to look a little shamefaced at the end.

"I think I have stated my opinion about Normandy yesterday - our situation there wouldn't be so bleak as it seems. But... speaking of political naivety, it's possible that we will face some troubles on Normandy due to my pater" - Regulus gives a quick glance at Augustus Nero, aware that the magus was present when he gained Valerian's enmity.

"But there are many magi at Normandy, and if one of my sodales is willing to accompany me I think we could get a good understanding of our footing there."

"I must also manifest my interest in traveling to the Rhine, and maybe undo some of my misconceptions about their ways." - he finishes with a quick nod at Wolfgang.

Wolfgang smiles. "I'm happy to take the lead in dealing with the Rhine, I'll probably start with a letter-writing blitz. I can skirt the issue of overtly asking for support, if we haven't decided, but everyone will become aware of us, once I start. I will say, if we try, we can likely get the sponsorships we need, but it would be a very bad idea to get support lined up, then join another tribunal. So I think we should rule out Normandy and the Alps as options first."

After listening the discussions for a few diameters (OOC: I'm assuming the characters more or less presented reasons to endorse the particular opinions of each player about the Tribunals), Regulus raises his hand.

"It seems that we are mostly divided between Rhine and Normandy, but still lack information to make our decision. We could start by sending letters to our fellows and testing the waters, as suggested by Wolfgang. Outside of that, I have the following proposition." - Regulus turns to Augustus - "If Confluensis could be so kind as to have me for another season, I'd like to consult the case rulings of the last few Tribunals, to try and have a grasp of the political allegiances in Normandy. If we join them, we will need to chose allies." (OOC: I'd like to research on who voted with whom, and who voted against whom, mostly focused in relations between covenants due to the oaths of fealty that exist between some covenants in Normandy. The intent is to learn who are we going to have as enemy if (when) we pick sides on Normandy.)

"I heard that the Tribunal rulings of the Rhine are stored at Durenmar. If anyone would like to do the same I think it could be useful. Otherwise this would be my next step, as soon as I'm finished with Normandy. Or I could seek some figures either in Normandy or Rhine, together with one of my sodales, to establish formal contact."

"In the mean time we could try to improve our relations with the covenants geographically closest to us, since they are going to be our closest enemies or allies, independent of which Tribunal we join. The same could be said for the mundanes around us."

"Of course, - Regulus turns to Clusius - I'm sure that there is much to be done for the covenant. If there is something urgent I would postpone this research."

Clusius nods, "You are correct that there will be many things that will need to be done here, but I believe that establishing our intention regarding the Tribunal should be our first priority."

"How long do you think you will be away? Do you feel we combine your fact-seeking mission with a secondary goal, like obtaining more books and lab texts for the library or recruiting some craftspeople?"

"That reminds me, I have a few gifts for the covenant. A couple of lab texts a few summae that I'm sure are going to be useful" - Regulus unconsciously omits the fact that the summae are in Greek, since until a season ago this wouldn't be a problem for his sodales.

"Anyway, that would certainly be good, albeit I have little experience in negotiating books and texts. I could go by Mercere Portal through Cunfin and return slowly by foot, visiting a few covenants on my way back. The whole trip would take no longer than a season and half, two and a half if the Tribunal records prove to be too hard to parse or if I enjoy the hospitality of Confluensis for an extra season. Are the Redcaps capable of reaching you, in the case that my stay there is extended?"

Clusius smiles, "Any addition to the library will certainly be welcome. I was able to gather a fair number of books to cover the basics, with some more advanced works, but I wasn't sure of the specialties of those wou would be joining the covenant. So for the time being the library has many more weaknesses than strength, That is particularly true where spells are concerned."

"We haven't been added to a redcap's route yet, as far as I know, but I am sure this will be corrected shortly. There are now enough of us gathered in a single place that House Mercere will have regular messages to deliver, and we are close enough to Basel that it will not be harduous for them to do so."

(OOC If one of you has an interest in creating a non-resident redcap companion, let me know. Otherwise, I will pick it up as a recurring character. Always a good way to convey information to the troupe.)

"would having something to trade ease these sort of negotiations? Bribes and gifts and suchlike?"

"Are you thinking of small gifts of vis or do you intend to craft some charged items? I think it would be possible to wait a season or two. But I was thinking of exchanging books - well, promising to exchange books - and offering the possibility of mutual support in the future."

"both, honestly. I have worked for my lodgings before making charged bandages which heal someone of all their wounds for a moon duration, so I have a lab text for it. I could make on the order of a dozen of them in a season."

He shrugs

"It's the sort of thing my house learns to make as a small gift, universally welcome, cheap and benevolent. But we could promise to write tractatus if any of us think we might be sound authors. "

He looks struck by a thought, then says excitedly

"I could make an item which makes the user a sound author" then he frowns "But, it would be vastly warping to anyone I didn't design it for. Also, it would be expensive and would be reliant on a promise as I wouldn't be able to make it quickly. But it's a thought."

Eikona breaks her silence: "I think you are dismissing the Alps too fast. All they have to do is make a few accidents happen and this covenant and all its vis will fall to the Alps anyway - thanks to its peculiar charter. Moreover, you - or we - would be on an equal footing, neither junior magi like in the Rhine, nor victims of theft like in Normandy.
We can still go stealing in Normandy because their complaints are dealt with there, but both the Rhine and the Alps offer protection against those odd raiding rulings.
I can offer to go to either Fengheld to lobby for your cause or to the Alps to see what they are thinking. I think little of vis-poor, barbaric Normandy, but I see the wisdom in sending someone there to see what they are up to - not me though."

Wolfgang shrugs. "I thought joining the alps was so difficult it was basically impossible, if you think you could get us in, by all means, please do."

Regulus frowns. "I'm sure that if four magi suffered accidents, the senior quaesitors of Magvillus would conduct a severe investigation on the events. And whatever Tribunal we join I would ask that we refrain from raiding covenants from Normandy, if possible."

"But I agree in getting the most information possible on the Alps. Maybe it would be better for you to check on what they would demand from us, Eikona? I expect you to receive a different response than what I, a stranger, would get."

Regulus turns to Marcus. "As for making us good authors I'm not sure, but I had an idea a couple of months ago for a nice scriptorium for communal use. I'd be glad to discuss it later if you can spare the time."

Marcus looks thrilled

"I would love to. I have ideas I would like to try out, but sometimes it is best to run them by someone first, in my experience, to avoid enthusiasm outstripping practicality. "

then he turns to Eikona

"I think you asking about what the requirements for joining the Alps would be an excellent idea. I would be happy to join the alps, in general, I simply thought that they would be less happy for us to join them"