1205 Spring - The First Wave (Story)

Marcus looks sad at his name being amongst those staying behind, a look that anyone who has seen the kid being picked last for a football team will be familiar with.

"That makes sense" he says with a voice robbed of his previous enthusiasm

"It would probably be for the best if I stay to harvest Vis and work at the site"

Wolfgang smiles, "I'll stay for at least two seasons, I have my familiar to bind, and the Aegis to learn, and as I said, I'll start off with correspondence."

"Speaking of vis sources, something we glossed over, don't forget that we lose half if we join Normandy, they won't just be disputed, but gone. We won't even be able to make a legal claim on them, if they're more than a day's walk away."

Clusius nods, "Let us gather the information we can, then we will come back to the decision we need to make regarding the Tribunal."

"We've touched a bit on the library. Are there any subjects we should pursue there? I know that none of you have had much time to look at the contents of the library, but I would suggest you do so in the next few days and establish a shopping list for subjects you'd like the library to cover more in depth. Then, whenever one of us go visit another covenant, we could see if we could trade -- or more probably outright buy with vis -- for books or lab texts that will help us improve our library."

"Is there any other subject you feel we need to discuss before Augustus leave?"

I have one, that actually pertains to the advancement of our library. I'm aware that any books leased from the Library of the Tribunal in Normandy are subject to the Cow and Calf Oath, but I'd like to make sure if this also extends to the leased laboratory texts. There is one in my possession since the last tribunal and if possible I'd like to retain a copy of it here at Tugurium."

"I would be leery of exposing ourselves to further accusations from Normandy," answers Clusius, "but does the Cow and Calf Oath apply to lab texts? Since one can learn the spell and then scribe his own notes, that would be strange."

(OOC Unless the troupe decides that it does, I'd say it doesn't apply to lab texts.)

(OOC: I'd usually say no, but I'm unsure about this specific case because there are "books" bound with several spell texts (or for example, a spell text + a tratactus on spell mastery) that one can lease from the Tribunal, that's why I decided to check.)

"As a secondary point: as I have alluded before - Regulus gestures to Marcus - I'd like to propose to the covenant that we build a dedicated laboratory/scriptorium. It's hardly a priority, but could be useful in the long run. I'm not asking that we commit to anything as of now, only to consider the possibility."

Marcus looks up from his private thoughts at his name

"Also, in order to have a better library for my own studies, I have an offer for the council. Verditious crafts are extremely expensive, often running to multiple rooks of vis. Many find it difficult to have the Vis to pay the prices demanded by my house, and I am not able to reduce the prices set by my primus, despite still being a relatively new verditious."

He smiles

"But, we need books and my magical power will grow with a decent library. So, I am willing to take payment in sound books on magical topics. Since I want my sodales to succeed I would then be willing to make an ongoing loan of those books to the covenant. We all get access to a better library, I get to perform my art, you can find buyers and have a good to trade when abroad and the buyers can buy something with only the time of copyists and apprentices. I offer some time for this to you all as a gift of meeting."

Wolfgang thinks for a moment, working his way through the convoluted logic. "That sounds excellent, Marcus.

I have but one book, but it is an excellent Creo summa. I will also put it on loan to the library, though I will ask priority when I have time to read - I think that is something we should consider within the rights of all who make such a loan." He looks at Eikona, and smiles. "You see, sodale, it is quite easy to protect our resources from the clause you despise. You shouldn't worry so much."

"I'd be more comfortable if any books were either sold to the covenant for a fair price, or donated with no strings attached. But if we agree with loans, I think it's fair to give priority to the owner."

Perion is generally quiet at the meeting, preferring to listen and absorb what the other, older magi sitting around the table have to say. He turns to Wolfgang during a quiet moment, "Given the concerns over safety here, it might be a good idea for us to tour the Rhine separately, especially if you need more time to prepare this year. We might find it wise to keep an ample presence here at Tugurium."

Perion also says to Marcus, "I will certainly pass word of your offered service to those I come across. That seems like an excellent way to expand our resources."

Wolfgang nods. "I want to see what I can accomplish corresponding within my gild, but I was thinking it might be good to visit covenants where we have trouble finding a sponsor as peregrinatores; it would give us more time to form a natural friendship there, better than just showing up to ask for a favor."

"Augustus, if I might ask, do you intend to go from here back to Confluensis? If so, how will you return?"

"I will indeed return to Confluensis," answers the old Quaesitor, "using Leap of Homecoming. If you are willing to incur the warping, I could bring you along."

Regulus considers the idea for a moment.

"I'm afraid I must reject your kindness. I intended to visit a few covenants on my way back, and I think I will need a small retinue for that, for safety reasons. But thank you for the offer."

He turns back to the council.

"Would the council agree to reimburse vis expenditures incurred by the usage of Mercere Portals, so that I can take a few grogs with me and safely return by foot? We can put the matter to vote, if required."

"Maybe this is too dry of a discussion for Archmage Augustus ears. We could postpone this until a later hour."

"Actually," says Augustus, "unless you have additional questions for me I will take my leave and return to Confluensis now."

1 Like

"thank you for your time and wisdom, you have been more than kind and generous with both"

"I don't see a need to delay you any further. Thank you for your guidance, I hope I'll have the chance to meet you again in a few days."

Clusius also thanks Augustus Nero, and the Quaesitor then casts a spell and disappears.

Turning back to the Council, Clusius asks, "Are we clear on what each of us are doing in the next few seasons? What about Regulus' request that the covenant provide him with vis to speed up his travels? I would note that we appear to have only limited reserves at this time, since I used most of the vis we had in store to purchase the initial library. As far as I can remember, we have about twenty pawns, which includes the vis set aside to cast the Aegis."

"Rest assured sodales, I do not ask to empty our coffers, but only two pawns so that I can reach Confluensis in a week instead of a month. With this I'd avoid the waste of time and the dangers of the road, as well as delaying possible interactions with the covenants in the way until I have a better grasp on who to trust."

"that seems reasonable, as you are on the work of the covenant. You have my vote."