1206 Spring - A Giant Problem

Wolfgang will display the heads in the villages that had giant troubles, but he is keeping them. Back in Tugurium, he magically cleans them to pure bone skulls, restores the teeth, and adds the vis extracted from the teeth to the covenant stores.

The skulls make a nice lab decoration.

The people in the villages get surprised and incredulous when you show them the heads which are twice as large and thrice as ugly as a regular human. Some run to hide, some approach to look. You see in their eyes that some think this is some kind of scam.

The man who spoke to Dagny screams in awe when he sees your group with the heads. "I was right! You see, I really saw the giant!"

When you arrive at Tugurium, Orell is pleased with the result. He doesn't really look at the heads ("ghastly things, will make me lose appetite"), but offers to buy them both by a reasonable sum. Two days later he leaves, with a stack of letters (and the heads, if Wolfgang parts with them).

The vis is measured and stored: two pawns of Corpus from the young one, one from the female.

Adventure Summary

Orell, the redcap, arrived at Tugurium early march with a stack of letters and asking the magi to investigate the rumors of a giant being seen in the way to Basel. Wolfgang left to investigate and deal with this threat, accompanied by his shield grogs, Dagny and Gwyneth, and his familiar, Kiefskala. Dagny talked to a few mundanes and found one who had seen the giant, obtaining clues about the direction where it could be.

While the bad weather made the hunt harder than necessary, Wolfgang was eventually able to track not one, but two giants to a mountain south of Laufen. They were hiding in the ruins of some old, old castle or fortress, mostly lost to time. He found the giants resting and cooking what was clearly human flesh upon a fire and quickly dispatched them both after a fierce fight. Dagny got a bruised arm (a light wound) but besides her no one got hurt.

The magus also rescued Brian, a man trapped in a cave by the giants. While Brian said he was a knight, Wolfgang was able to ascertain that the man lied about that. After freeing the man, Wolfgang offered him the chance to tell the truth and follow him to the covenant, but the man kept to his story.

Finally, the magus returned to the covenant bringing the heads of the giants as proof of his deeds, but not before parading through the villages where people and cattle went missing to show the people that they are now safe.

Adventure Results
  • Wolfgang harvested 3 pawns of Corpus vis.
  • The road is safe. Tugurium will continue to receive the visits of the redcaps.
Adventure Notes and Potential Seeds
  • Wolfgang paraded through the villages. Will this have repercussions?
  • What happened to Brian?
  • Are there more giants from where these came?
  • What about the ruins where the giants were found?

Adventure Source Quality: 7
Vis harvest: 3 pawns of Corpus vis

The ruins are the Ruine Bännlifels, located south of Laufen. I found little information about them online, but they are thought to have been a castle built around 3rd century.