1220.4 Where have ewe gone? (Fiona's season)

Well, that's new, Fiona thinks, and wonders who the horses belong to. Obviously not Paul-Henri...he doesn't strike her as a horseman. Is it possible that the horses belong to the kidnappers, or their allies/henchmen? If so, where are they? If not...

Fiona does a quick comparison of the number of pallets to the number of horses.

She will also be sure that they post watch...especially at any window or door facing the general direction of Chez Paul-Henri. She will cast Eyes of the Cat on any watchmen. Assuming that the Aegis is Level 25, if she casts the spell normally (full voice and gestures), she will still have a high enough casting total (before any die roll) to get the spell off. Should she still roll anyway?

As the storm approaches you hear voices approaching the barn. They appear to be loud and rowdy, and aren't speaking a language that's readily apparent.

Fiona will peek out the window or door to see about how far the people are, and guesstimate how many spells she can cast before they get here. She will start with Aura of Ennobled Presence upon herself, with Quiet voice (her Mastery ability is Still Casting, so no penalty for no gestures). Mu 16 + Im 5 + Sta 3 + Mastery 1 - Quiet Voice 5 + die roll of 6 = 26 (less whatever penalty for the Aegis), vs. a Spell Level of 10. I'm assuming that she successfully cast the spell but fatigued herself with the casting, dropping her to Winded.

Brione is apparently wearing Full Chain armour, according to his character sheet. Ivor doesn't have an equipment listing on his sheet, so I have no idea what he's wearing. I would like to have Fiona cast Preternatural Growth and Shrinking on Ivor if she has time - that falls within her Focus, doubling her Corpus component (she has a +48 Casting Total), so I doubt the Aegis will impede her that much on this particular spell. If there's still time after that, I would like to have her cast Doublet of Impenetrable Silk on him, if possible. Then, if she's not Weary and there's enough time, cast that on whomever else.

Fiona did not drop to winded fatigue level with casting her first spell. There is sufficient time to cast any other spells. All rolls are stressed, subtract 12 from all rolls for the Aegis.

Brione happily accepts Eyes of the Cat (he even says the name of the spell after it's cast on him). He takes a position by the barn door with weapons drawn and takes a quick peek to see if the men have arrived. "I will take a position behind them after they walk in." he whispers to Fiona.

Okay...she will cast the following spells, then:

• Preternatural Growth and Shrinking on Ivor to increase his size. Mu 16 + Co 14 + Co 14 (for Focus) + Sta 3 + Mastery 1 + die roll of 3 - Aegis 12 = 39 (Spell Level is 15).
  • Ivor is probably wearing his Armor that Fits, so she will cast Doublet of Impenetrable Silk on it. Mu 16 + An 7 + Sta 3 + Mastery 1 + die roll of 4 - Aegis 12 = 19 (Spell Level is 15). She can cast those with Still Casting as her Mastery Ability, so she will (for Ivor and the others).
    [i]Can't remember off-hand how many we bought with us this time...I want to say five total including Ivor and Brione. So, that leaves three others that might be wearing leather or quilted armour. If so, Doublet of Impenetrable Silk on them also. It's going to be 15 plus the die rolls, vs a spell level of 15. Three dice rolls on the Invisible Castle (no whammy no whammy no whammy STOP!) come up 4, 5, and 2. So, totals of 19, 20, and 17.
  • Eyes of the Cat all around. Ivor, Brione, the three others, and finally Fiona. Mu 16 + Co/An 7 + Co/An (for Focus) 7 + Sta 3 + Mastery 1 + die roll of 8 on Brione's - Aegis 12 = 30, vs. a Spell Level of 5. 22 + die roll of 6 for Ivor is 28. For the other four, the dice show 8, 5, 2, and 1; the lucky blackguard who got a 1 gets a measly 2, for a 4. So, the other four have Casting Totals of 30, 27, 24, and 26. Still Casting on all of those, as well.
  • Fiona's Eyes of the Cat is Mu 16 + Co/An 7 + Sta 3 + Mastery 1 + die roll of 5 - Aegis 12 = 20, vs. a spell level of 5.

So, with her casting sigils, her hair is now snow white, as is Ivor's armor (which is normally white anyway) and any armor that had Doublet of Impenetrable Silk cast on it, and the eyes of everyone who had Eyes of the Cat cast on them is white.

Fiona motions to Brione to put his weapon down. [color=blue]"We must be ready to fight if we must, but we must not appear eager to do so," she says through Ivor.

As the door opens Fiona can tell from their mannerisms that they are all drunk. She still does not understand the language. It is not French, German, English, or any Gaelic language. She catches some latin sounding words here and there, but can't quite make them out.

She will wait until they're all inside (and doing a quick count...I suspect number of drunkards = number of pallets, but I'm not sure), then motion Brione to close the door behind them.

[color=blue]"Ah, excellent, my friends!" she says in Latin, in the friendliest and most congenial voice she can muster*. [color=blue]"I was afraid you would get stuck in the storm as well!" She looks around the barn quickly, then back at whoever looks the most leader-ish. [color=blue]"Unfortunately, we hadn't expected to be stuck in this weather, so we didn't pack much in the way of food. But what we have, we'll be happy to share."

Oh, and a +3 for her Aura of Ennobled Presence, if applicable.

The men are drunk, to be sure. They look haggard and battle hardened, though. Their apparent leader does a quick analysis of the situation, seeing a giantess magus (Fiona's "cover" was blown when she cast that spell on the sheep), and several heavily armed men fully prepared for battle while they are not.
"Concedo." He unbuckles his scabbard and indicates that everyone else should do the same, which they do. He doesn't say anything else.

Brione steps forward and looks around suspiciously at them, saying nothing. When they drop their scabbards and weapons he looks up at Fiona and points down at the weapons. He then makes a gesture like he's picking them up and shrugs his shoulders.

Fiona looks at her men. [color=blue]"Does anybody speak their language?"

[color=blue]"Put them there," Fiona says in her broken French, indicating a place against the wall between "us" and "them," but closer to "us." [color=blue]"Neatly."

She then turns to the leader. [color=blue]"We are not interested in taking prisoners. We are merely interested in waiting the storm out," she says in Latin, hoping that he understands the meaning, if not the words.

"We speak French, too. I speak a bit of Latin." He says this in Latin, which is better than your French. "I'm unconcerned with your plans, when the rest of our men and the magi arrive, you will have more than enough trouble." He says that, and then realizes he's said too much.

Brione steps forward and gives the man who just spoke and gives him a mild shove. "I would watch what you say." he warns in French. He also smells the air to see if any have a spell on them.

He spits in Brione's face, and says some unintelligible things, and the other men laugh. (I don't see Latin on Brione's character sheet, and everything was spoken in Latin.)

Brione smiles as he wipes off the spittle and looks over to Fiona, waiting for her response. He just nods, smiling menacingly with his crooked face, sword still in hand.

((Brione isn't a hothead, but he'll pay this one back once the magus says it's OK))

[color=blue]"Brione," Fiona scolds in French, [color=blue]"Guests."

Fiona frowns at Brione and the stranger. [color=blue]"Ivor, tell them that if they wish to settle their differences later, after the storm, they may...but now is neither the time nor the place." (yes, I know Jonah's left...but Ivor is still here, and speaks Latin and French both, so he makes a good translator if nothing else).

[color=blue]"Ah yes...your magi. The people who are under the impression that it is acceptable behavior to cast a protective spell...a very expensive and time-consuming spell, I might add...over someone else's property. I certainly understand the raiding of our sheep (which will not be tolerated, by the way). All in good fun, eh? But warding a property that is well within our demesnes? I will deal with your magi later...and one way or the other this will be resolved." She waves her hand dismissively and looks around for whatever rations the group brought with them. [color=blue]"But enough of that talk. As I said...you are our guests here, and we would be remiss to not break bread with you." She then motions them to join them in eating dinner.

As Brione moves the men away from their weapons, Ivor collects them and stows them out of their reach, and under his guard.

"Paul-Henri invited us to stay, did you not get the note that was left for you? As it is, I doubt that this place is within range of your cursor, while he is within the range of ours. Be that as it may, it is not a matter of magic, so we are free to do as we please in this matter and with this property. You should leave before our Magi become put out." They do accept any food you povide them.

[color=blue]"Oh, that was from you?" Fiona says, an almost comical look of surprise on her face. [color=blue]"I did receive a note, but it was not signed, so I had no way of knowing who was making such a claim. Curious, though, how it was Paul-Henri who invited you. I wonder why his wife and children didn't extend their hospitality to you as they did to us?" She regards her counterpart coolly.

[color=blue]"And as to our property not being within range of our cursor? I was able to come here in half a day...and I am quite obviously not built for speed." she says with a smile.

"Apparently your understanding of subtelty is limited. Is that because of your thick head? We felt that you would be smart enough to figure out who was providing protection to Paul-Henri."

"You talk as if you're still armed...and not under our swords. You'd best mind your tone. And please..." he raises his sword "Please, spit on me again...I dare you.". Brione is ugly enough without trying to look intimidating. But when he tries the result is usually hideous.