1221.0 Council Meeting

[color=blue]"If he believed he was there to protect me, that I was his charge, then he misunderstood his orders. He was simply there as part of my contingent in case there was trouble. My shield grog Ivor was there to protect me.

"And I am no fairy tale princess, Alexei, who needs a knight in shining armour to protect her honour. My bodyguard does precisely that – he guards my body. I am perfectly capable of guarding my honour.

"I thought I had made it clear at the time that I was not angry with him. Apparently I did not. If you wish, I will go speak with him later and clear up that misunderstanding."

[color=blue]"His name is Jacques. He and the rest of our vassals of Atsingani are waiting in the next room. You may be pleased to note, Alexei, that they did not bring any of the troublemakers from the farm."

[color=blue]"Not just in this Tribunal, Alexei...raiding is a way of life in Loch Leglean, almost a pastime. And after speaking with Apollodorus...and after returning from Paul-Henri's farm, I spent what time I could in the library browsing through the libers on the Tribunal, various rulings, past proceedings, et cetera.

Fiona feigns surprise at Alexei's statement. [color=blue]"But sodalis, don't the mortals do something similar? I believe they call it a 'seige'?"

[color=blue]"I can't say that I had before I spoke with Apollodorus. I must say, though, that I found it a reminder of home and was quite looking forward to the game."

[color=blue]"Atsingani has sworn fealty to Mons Electi as our vassal."

[color=blue]"Now, Apollodorus...I believe you have also invited some guests that you would like to introduce?"

"Yes, thank you, Fiona."

"I've been giving some thought to increasing our number, with the disappearance of Silviatos and Iosephus we are of an insufficient size. I've invited some others to join us, and I ask that you consider extending them full membership, much as was done for you upon forming the covenant. We have Korvin of Mercere and Jormungund of the Ex Miscellania House. Korvin is a magical Mercere."

Alexei is ruefully shaking his head after listening to Fiona's statements.

"Siege is something I'm quite familiar with...especially during a time of war. I've been told time and time again as I try to raise our defenses to a sufficient degree that we are not at war, and that is why my requests are not being complied with as much as I'd like. Are you saying we are under siege then? That we are basically at war? That the Covenants in Normandy are perpetually in aggression like this? If so then I am certainly justified in raising our defenses even more than my initial requests!"

"However I feel that perhaps it is not the case, but rather one of the strange quirks of neighbors and the Code in this Tribunal. I must read up on this code, for my initial reaction would be to declare Wizard's War on them and make an example. But please don't tell me we are at war or use examples so flippantly, I am a soldier, my life has seen much war, and if we are at war I shall pursue it as such, and leave no doubt about our means and intentions."

At the mention of Jaques again and vassals Alexei perks up. It's difficult to read his expression as it seems to wax between anger and laughter.

"Wait...this Flambeau...the solution is that he has become our vassal? Atsingani was it called? And he is here now?" he pauses again and finally laughs. "I'm not sure whether to call you a fool or a genius...on the one hand I have access to the one that I believe wronged us, and on the other we are now going to be the ones held responsible for his future actions. Time will tell I suppose. Now I see what Appollodorus meant about mentoring him." he takes another drink. "I can't see him now though, my blood is too hot and I've had too much wine. He has made a very bad impression on me so far. Give me some time to mull it over and he can attend me then, perhaps my opinion can be changed. Let us see the newcomers that will join us properly. I'll read more on both the code as well as what having a vassal means in this Tribunal. In my native Rhine Covenants often fostered other covenants as well as took in journeyman wizards, this might be rather different."

"No, Alexei, Jacques is not our vassal, the covenant of Atsingani is our vassal. There is a distinction there. And they will not attend us, but we will have a formally established relationship between our covenants. We will have responsibilities to each other, and you may not take him as an 'attendant.' He has rights, as any magus within the Order does.

"Onto the new members, we can revisit the issues relating to the vassal relationship a bit later. I'd like to invite the two magi in for us to get to know each other. And Fiona brought a guest back with her, not of Atsingani, I understand. Alexei, I suggest you sober yourself up and cool your heels, it will be a long meeting. Fiona, would you be so kind as to invite them in to participate in our meeting?"

Alexei pauses and looks into his cup, why was it already empty again?

"Hmmm...perhaps. What did I say? Attend? I wish to speak with this Jacques, that's all I meant, well perhaps more than speak, we shall see. Is this vassalage part of the Normandy Code as well then? More reading...very well." He seems to be speaking more to himself than anyone else. He sits back into his chair and loosens the collar on his tabbard, then reaches onto the table for bread and fruit.

Fiona heaves to her feet, ignoring the brief flash of déjà vu, and heads to the foyer where (I believe) Korvin and Filtiarn are waiting. [color=blue]"Sodales, would you care to join us in the Council chamber?"

[Entirely OOC, I had misremembered that any member can invite a protected guest into the council meeting, and that only the Princeps can grant them a vote at that meeting. I had forgotten about the vote part, and thought that only the Princeps could invite a guest into the meeting. There's also Jormungand. Chico's pm'ed me indicating he's ready to RP, and can get a character finished up shortly.]

Korvin enters and bows to all. His dress robes are a deep burgundy red with black and gold trim. He wears a red cap of his house but taller than you see with a normal Redcap and trimmed with gold.

Sodales. Thank you for inviting me. I hope to prove a worth member of the Covenant.

He finds an empty chair and sits.

In the foyer, Fieltarn was waiting slackly in a comfortable chair, almost slumbering when he heard the expected invitation.
"My, quite the early hour for a Council... ", he groans inwardly, standing up ponderously.
It's not even noon by Epona's tits. Still, he takes two quick breaths to clear up his mind and briefly run his hands over the rumpled silk of his rarely used magus robes, or green and bluish greys... in the vain hope that the once fine material would hung properly... [i]Hmf, too many years folded at the bottom of my bags.

Anyway, time to move, Fieltarn![/i]
And with a reflexive check that his long braid hanging down his back isn't out of place, he strides smoothly into the Council Room, giving first a brief, thankful nod to Fiona before smiling at the assembled magi

" - Good morning, sodalès...", he grumbles cheerfully, obviously attempting to shake up his sleepiness as much as give a proper greeting.
Then he hesitates for a second, his light-brown eyes searching for a second ranks of chairs, perhaps, before realising that he's supposed to sit at the same table as the resident magi. Which he finally does, fluffing up the long sleeves twice to keep them from revealing too much of unsightly bandages, covering his wrists.

" - I am Fieltarn Aes Criedne, ex Miscellanea," he nods again, more respectfully at his gathered peers. "but... just 'Fieltarn' would do fine. My thanks for your generous hospitality".

Jormungard swings his legs off the ottoman and heaves himself out of the chair he had been lounging in. Korvin had seemed unresponsive to the subtle clues Jormungard had tried throwing his way, which was different from the stories his mother had told him about, But I'm also out of practice, he thinks to himself. Time to get out of the library more.

He winks at Fiona before schooling his face and enters the Council Room. Jormungand appears to be a slender sixteen year old who walks in with a languid, dancer's grace. His robe sleeves flare out to imitate some kind of wing, while the wide neckline sits comfortably just below the collarbone and barely hugs the shoulders. He nods (out of respect) to Apollodorus, but the natural grin on his face might make it seem mocking - he looks the model of a mischevious egotistical teenager. Looking around, he quickly notices one of the few remaining empty chairs and glides over. He sits down with his back straight and smiles at the gathered magi.

"Salvete, sodales. I have been Jormungand Vor Si'r, Ex Miscellanea, for some time, but I still respond to Asadon, or as my daughter used to mumble, 'Jermy'. I hope to soon refer to you as mes amies, and more. May I bring all I can to the table as you have already done." Introduction done, his back is still straight but his shoulders seem to visibly relax and Jormungand brings his hands up and pillows his head with them against the chair back.

"I bid you all welcome. Jormungard and I have had a very brief correspondence. Korvin and I have shared a correspondence and met a time or two. Neither of these gentleman were able to join a year ago when we first gathered.

"I don't know you, Fieltarn, but I do know a few werewolf Magi. Your record is squeaky clean, as far as the Quaesitores are concerned. I know they watch those they know about quite closely."

Fiona smiles back, too surprised to do much else. She tries to remember the last time such a handsome man (magus or mortal) showed any interest in her that didn't result in mockery, and her mind comes up blank. She finds herself watching him move into the council chamber before she shakes herself out of her reverie and follows the guests in, taking her seat at the head of the table once more.

Fiona glances at Filtiarn quickly. So this is the one that Jacques kept asking about, she thinks. She starts to wonder how he knew that Filtiarn would wind up here, and then remembers Viviane.

Fieltarn listen with interest as Apollodorus present the other magi, particularly the pair who, like him, do not seem to be members of Mons Electi, yet.

[b]" I've met my share of lycanthropes myself - even spent a few years looking for... other magi with similar gifts. Still, if you're amenable to it, I'd appreciate exchanging our respective knowledge of "werewolf magi" - later of course; maybe we have some common acquaintances?"

" As for my clean slate... hmm, despite my lycanthropy, well... " Fieltarn smile understandably, like someone who already had to answer, more than once, for such circumspection toward his dual nature.
Even when it wasn't worded so elegantly, smoothed by the politeness of a diplomat Jerbiton.

Fieltarn opens his hands as his gaze sweeps the other mages, and not just Apollodorus anymore...
"Since it may legitimately interest the present gathering, allow me to briefly resume what is setting me apart from the usual werewolf - I there is such a thing. Simply put, being magically bonded with a spirit beast is part of my Tradition, hence, unlike most werewolves I-- we are not afflicted by an involuntarily contracted curse, neither are we - the Aes Criedne - unprepared for handling our predatory passengers."
He pauses, just as he seemed about to enthousiastically launch into a more detailed monologue about his Tradition, but reluctanctly refrains from doing so.

"But, I'm sure that you have more important matters to discuss, presently. So let me just confirms your reports on me. Since I explained my situation in further details to at least couple of Guernicus once, I'd dare think that I was acknowledged by their House as being neither un-careful nor suspiciously secretive about it. It was not in this region, though. So, naturally I hope to develop the same mutual understanding here. And if necessary I'll give - once again - the necessary reassurances to the local Quaesitores, if only to try and mollify their... legitimate wariness."

[color=blue]"May I ask, Fieltarn, how long you have been in the Normandy tribunal?"

and [color=blue]"You say you have spent several years searching for other magi with a similar...gift? Have you met with much success? And is your Tradition so gifted?"

"My filius, Iapetus. And another Tremere, Luna. And Iaeptus has taken a couple a filus who are lycanthropes. His is, involuntary."

[b]" Probably half my life, on and off again. I was born and spent my earlier years in the vosges region, nominally part of the Holy Roman Empire of Germany, but my master took me to Britanny, in our current Tribunal, to ensure that my training followed our ancient ways. But once we left the forests... we were almost always on the roads, never staying long to get to know any region more than superficially.

I've been a peregrinator for... 31 years now. :unamused:
[/b]

I have. And not always for the best. He answers mildly, thoughtful. Then his furrowed brow regains the unfazedness of his obviously magically extended youth. (OOC : Fieltarn seems to be around 35 years old)

Although most of the time I found shapechangers who weren't members of the Order, nor even followers of any tradition but just once common folk whose lifepath had suddenly taken a magical turn. Truth is, my impression is that over the years, the diverse forms of shapechanging seem to manifest ever more rarely than before.Oddly perhaps, he shrugs, as if it weren't that important to him.

As for my Tradition, yes, every Aes Criedne can not be fully recognized as such without a Velgairn - pardon me - a bond with a... shadow-beast - that would be the nearest translation anyway.
Again, his face brightens and his voice betrays his enthousiasm at the occasion to speak about his Tradition.

We could practice magic without it, but the ritual of bonding, which occurs at our err... Gauntlet, does open our Gift to the full extent of its potential. Besides, it also attunes it to... hmm, new magical senses, which would be quite difficult to achieve otherwise, considering our already developed magical talent; And, of course, a different vision of the world.

Fieltarn smiles at Fiona. "Gift is the term indeed. I'm glad to meet someone who doesn't readily labels our lycanthropy as a curse, although I could understand why."

Fieltarn nods politely, an eyebrow raised in sincere interest when hearing the terms "filius" and "Lycantrope" so combined...
Nice, and rare, to find such unprejudiced sodales. Or was there another reason?

Fiona smiles back. [color=blue]"I know, better than most, I would say, what it's like to have to overcome such labels." Standing at about 2.2 meters tall, her giant heritage is plainly obvious to all.

Fiona glances at Apollodorus. Interesting, she thinks. I wonder if it is just the Tremere who are so accepting, or is that a trait of the Tribunal as a whole? It seems I have made the right choice in coming here.