1221.5 You Put Your Big Foot In, You Put Your Big Foot Out

"You must go alone. You can say you have our support. It is unlikely to mean much, however. When you left, he became even more closed off. We are unable to take any action as a covenant, since he will not support our moves. We believe we need new blood. And given your demeanor, we need to reconsider our covenant management, but that is something unlikely to happen as long as Faileas is about.

Fiona, I mean you no ill will. You are in the journeyman stage of your magahood. It is expected that you would go out and seek new opportunities, find opportunities where you can lead and grow. I tried that once myself. He has forgotten what that was like. When I left my droppings on the floor the day you informed us of your departure, it was a commentary directed at Faileas, not you. Drystan and I had told him you would leave if you weren't treated better, given responsibility and some measure of authority. And now you return, and it appears you have found a good situation for yourself. If Drystan and I go, it will only be taken as an 'I told you so' on our parts."

Fiona looks down as she digests this revelation from the Bjornaer, then looks up again. [color=blue]"And what of Doineann? How would she feel about all of this? Would she be willing to lend her aid with Angus or with my situation, or is she steadfast in Faileas's court?"

"Where Faileas points, Doineann will follow. You left, Fiona, it really only upset Faileas, any commentary offered by a council member was given discreetly, as mine, or given to support Faileas's position."

[color=blue]"So, it would make no difference if I were to approach her before I speak with Faileas, she will do what he tells her to, then."

Fiona takes a deep breath to steel her nerves. [color=blue]"Well, no point in delaying any further. Thank you very much, sodales."

She will then make her way to Faileas's sanctum, more slowly than she would under ideal circumstances, as she tries to decide the best way to appeal to him, and which dilemma to present to him first. She pauses when she reaches his door, then raises her fist and pounds on the door, slowly and deliberately.

"Come in, Fiona. I have whiskey prepared for you." Faileas beckons you into his sanctum.

Fiona takes a quick, discrete look around. [color=blue]"I have your word that no harm will befall me?"

"Not by my hand or Arts. What can I do for you?"

Fiona will warily enter his sanctum, desperately trying not to show how nervous she is: Com 2 + Guile (hiding true feelings) 3 + die roll of 8 = 13.

She will take the proffered whisky and, as she raises the mug to her lips, cast Touch of the Pearls upon it, wordlessly and without gestures. He may have said that he would not harm her by his hand or Arts, but that leaves a little wiggle room, and as upset as he was when she left...well, she's not taking any chances if she can help it. Int 5 + Aq 5 + Sta 3 + Mastery 1 + Aura 3 (iirc) – No Words 10 – No Gestures 5 + die roll of 8 = 10, vs. a spell level of 5.

[color=blue]"We have a couple of problems that we would like...that we need your help with. The first is with my kinsman, laying gravely wounded at your doorstep. I understand that you have forbidden any covenant resources be used in his aid.

"The second..." She pauses for a moment. [color=blue]"I have recently been the victim of a magical mishap which appears to have tainted me with a tint of lycanthropy. We hope that this is only temporary. But, as you know, the next full moon is only two nights away. I have spoken with with both Drystan and Ion, and we are of the opinion that we may need your help in warding me during the change."

She's able to show a good front, he doesn't appear to notice, or perhaps he doesn't care. The whiskey is not poisoned.

"Yes, he is your kin, and since you have left us, we have no responsibility towards him. Whatever courtesy was extended to your kin in the past was as a result of your status here at Insula Canaria." Faileas regards you coldly.
"I can ward you pretty effectively, I'm sure. Why I would, though, is beyond me." His voice is cold, calculating, and devoid of any motion whatsoever. You can do an awareness roll to try and get a better sense...

quick Awareness before bed. Per 0 + Awareness 3 + die roll of 8 = 11.

More on the morrow.

Fiona senses that his drive to ensure that his apprentice is gauntleted has given way to madness.

Fiona takes a sip of whisky as she digests her observation, then another. So you'll only help those in need if they're related to members of the Council...or covenfolk, possibly? Unfortunate. I hope you're not passing that attitude along to your apprentice. She decides to approach the other matter first, then come back to her kinsmen afterward.

[color=blue]"You mean aside from the consequences of having a half-giant werewolf rampaging through the covenant unhindered? Injuring, perhaps killing several of your covenfolk, possibly including magi or apprentices? Destroying buildings? Laying waste to a laboratory or two, even?"

She pauses for another sip. [color=blue]"Or perhaps you would like the satisfaction of being able to say that I found myself in a situation beyond my control, that I came crawling back to Insula Canaria on my hands and knees, begging and pleading for your aid. I think you can safely say that without fear of contradiction. Only you and I will know the truth.

"Or, perhaps you're looking for more material compensation? Something in the way of vis, perhaps? Or books? Or even service, a quid pro quo?"

She stares at Faileas, trying to gauge which option appeals to him more, and awaiting his response. Per 0 + Folk Ken (magi) 2 + die roll of 2 = 4.

"The only vulnerable apprentice would be mine, and that situation is well in hand. As to the covenfolk, well, they've seen worse. They aren't my top concern."

"That you admit your situation is wise."

Folk ken is next to useless, as Fiona can't necessarily trust the normal signals apply.
Seemingly ignoring her questions, Faileas says instead, "Our canaries have died, Fiona."

Fiona thinks back, not only to her own time at Insula Canaria but tales she had heard from days of yore, and has a hard time remembering anything worse than a rampaging giant werewolf befalling the covenant, save for the infrequent accident gathering the monster's eggs.

Fiona nods slowly. [color=blue]"Yes. Yes, I do."

[color=blue]"I know, Faileas. But their deaths give us the time we need to escape. It's not too late."

"Then we are agreed, you will get us new canaries."

[color=blue]"Assuming that the mine still stands when I return, yes." Fiona takes another sip. [color=blue]"What of the egg in your hands. When it hatches, will it go down into the mine with the new canaries, or will it spread its wings and sings its song elsewhere?"

[color=blue]"And what of the matter of my kinsman? Will you allow the covenant to give him aid? It might be a good idea to have Clan MacOssian on your side, if not indebted to you."

"Yes, it might." He closes is eyes, appearing to sleep. You are unsure what he is saying that in response to.

Fiona watches him for a couple of minutes, then finishes her drink and lets herself out, heading off in search of Drystan and/or Ion.

The conversation was brief enough that you can find them still in Ion's sanctum.

Fiona knocks and is admitted.

[color=blue]"He has agreed to help ward me when the moon is full. And he seems to be aware that the covenant is about to die out unless something is done. Unless fresh blood is brought in. He seemed unwilling to budge on the matter of Angus's wound, though...he may allow us to help him, I'm not sure. He dodged the question.

"We can try to help him, and see what happens. Hopefully I still have enough of the ingredients in my old garden to get started on a potion for him."