1221.etc - The Ties That Bind

"Wonderful!" Laetitia exclaims. As Elena returns, the maid blushes at their guest, but places the salad course on the table, opens the white and pours.

"You may be wondering why I invited you here. Truth be told, the main reason was the way my ears burn and my toes tingle whenever you glance at me. My pretense, however, is some amount of business I wish to discuss... but here in Italia, it is rude to speak of business before dishes are cleared away. We take our eating very seriously, and Chef has outdone himself tonight!"

Dinner is only six courses, but Aristarchus is French, not Italian, so a properly sized meal might kill him. Instead, we serve:

• Romaine, escarole, and radicchio, with artichokes, hot peppers, and fried coppa, drizzled in olive oil and red wine vinegar
  • Spinach ravioli stuffed with butternut squash, walnuts, and pears, with a light cream sauce
  • A hearty, spicy tomato-based stew of mussels, clams, crab, squid, scallops and cod
  • Lamb shank braised in Sangiovese, served over mashed parsnips, served alongside garlic-laden roasted romanesco and purple cauliflower
  • Pannacotta drizzled with fresh caramel
  • Braised pears with brandy and honey

"I made the desserts myself," Laetitia confesses shyly. "Were it in my ability, I would have made all of dinner for you tonight, but desserts are all I know how to prepare."

As the two of you dine, you engage on gossip of the Order, which Bonisagus is studying what, did you know that the Tytalus at a court of some minor noble created a scene when he destroyed the clothes of all the women, just the women mind you. Stuff like that.
"Dinner was delightful, dessert especially so. My hostess is most gracious. You mentioned business. I had hoped I was here under purely social reasons, but you've been delightful, so let's entertain your proposal." He looks a bit defalted that this wasn't going where he thought it might go.

Laetitia laughs at all his jokes, politely at the ones which aren't funny, and more warmly for the ones which are :slight_smile:

"I regret that my familial obligations require me to try and maintain the Founder's bloodline," she muses sadly at one point. "For such demands and expectations almost certainly preclude following one's own heart." She gives him a smoldering glance which says far more than her words do.

"Ahh, well, my youthful looks betray me." He seems to blush at this, as if it is a huge inconvenience, "Truthfully, I'm into my late 50's. I doubt I could satisfy that specific desire of yours. And, well, it would put me in an awkward position within the House, as well, even if there were a remote chance."

She nods. "I understand; I only wish things were different, and wanted you to know that." With most men, Laetitia is confident and strategically coy; with Aristarchus she is actually somewhat shy.

"As for business... When I first arrived, I was shocked at how very different you are from your pater. Even more surprising is that, while the two of you could not appear any more different than you already do, you seem to work together, overall. And when it finally struck me, I felt rather foolish for having not seen it instantly." She trails off, distracted by Aristarchus' lips, but shakes herself back into her train of thought. "It is a shrewd tactic, well suited for such a turbulent political climate; the appearance of stability imparted by a staunch and uncompromising authoritarian figure, tempered by the libertarian ideals of a youthful and... Energetic..." she trails off again, distracted by the thought of Aristarchus' vigor.

"My actions at Confluensis are highly constrained. I follow my pater out of respect. There is, however, a power behind the throne, so to speak. No not me. The true leader of Confluensis is Valerian. I follow my pater to minimize difficulty with Valerian, as he is the one who maintains the strong ties to Magvillus. If I had to speculate, he's on the inner circle, despite his public membership in Confluensis."

Laetitia seems genuinely surprised. "This is... Not good," she laments. "In testing the waters during the Tribunal, it seems to me that the situation is far more volatile than your pater and y-- Valerian, realize. It is my honest, professional opinion that maintaining the status quo, of restrictive strictness and swift, stern judgements, WILL tip the balance towards chaos. Truthfully, despite my feelings for you, I invited you here to try convincing you to take a stronger stand for more leniency in the issues French magi hold dearest; the Founder's intent in framing the law was to limit the Order's ability to infringe upon a magus' individual freedom. The Guernici here are strongly Transitionalist, but I truly believe that Traditional values are necessary for the stability of this Tribunal. If we do not re-write the Peripheral Code here, the Order will lose control of the entire region." She speaks passionately about her beliefs, but when she stops to take a deep breath, she becomes flustered when she notices Aristarchus gazing at her intently.

"You may be correct, however that course has been set, and my and even Proctor's comments advocating a more lenient approach have been ignored. And, to be truthful, the Tribunal is so large and diverse as to have many competing issues that the magi residing within it hold dear. I know Flanders to Cunfin seek a greater leniency on interacting with mundanes, and it is likely some in the Ile de France, if not Paris itself, do, as well."

"Interaction with mundanes is the biggest issue; vis leases as well. I would like to undertake the task of drafting extensive revisions to the Peripheral Code, to be voted upon in seven years' time. I think it would be beneficial for Confluensis publicly endorse my endeavour; Guernicus needs to show at least the appearance of being willing to compromise.

"I disagree with your pater's philosophy and tactics, but I believe all of us hold the Order's stability and safety as our highest goals. To those ends, I would vastly prefer working with Confluensis, than against it. Different methods and methodology, but a common goal. Will you aid me?"

"Perhaps. I cannot formally commit to a course of action that would embarrass Proctor first, and Valerian secondly. You can draft all you like, but know that the course of action in Normandy is set. Present your options at next Tribunal. Of course, you need to have the ear of the next Praeco. Perhaps that should be your goal, finding a Praeco whom Proctor and Valerian cannot overwhelm. Renita will likely be gone within a year or two."

"I suspected concern over the next Praeco might be behind Proctor's interest in Mons Electi. His decision to have them all followed made it terribly awkward when I wanted to trade tractatus** with them." She laughs awkwardly.

She changes the subject, turning instead towards Aristarchus' interest, ideas, goals, and desires.

If she thinks she can get away with it without him thinking her too forward (can you roll a Folk Ken or Intrigue for me? I'm at work posting from my phone) she will while away the evening with him and eventually invite him into her sanctum. If she thinks he'd find that behaviour wanton and brazen, then she'll simply ask if they can see each other again, "for purely personal purposes."

** (Tractatus is fourth declension; plural for tractatus is tractatus. Just making that clear up front, because one of my biggest pet peeves is being "corrected" my grammar incorrectly. :p)

A night, and I do mean a night of pleasure is had by Laetitia and Aristarchus, eventually they drift off to sleep. When Laetitia awakes he's gone.

This phrase, I don't think it means what you think it means. :laughing:

...Ouch.

Ack! "Being corrected ON my grammar"!!! My iPhone ate it :frowning:

Would it make you feel better if I rephrased it as the pleasure lasts all night long,until the two of you are so exhausted you can't help but fall asleep?

He didn't stay for breakfast. That's a big deal!

He had a big meeting with Valerian and Proctor.

Oh, he kisses and tells? Bastard.

Does he call or write within three days' time?

Yes, he will. And as to whether he kisses and tells, there's no evidence of that. He really did have that big meeting in the morning. :stuck_out_tongue:

When Viscaria shows up with this book, Laetitia grumps about, and then puts out feelers to see if anyone will trade her a decent summa on Mentem or Imaginem in exchange for her copy of Valerian's Sit Tibi Terra Levis (Terram summa L16 Q15).

!! I didn't see that before.

The problem here is that Viscaria's already at L15. Elsewise, I would happily ret'con her book into one on Creo. I have not actually found a compilation of the library (I'm observant like a thing with its eyes closed).

Actually, given her Alchemy Lab Totals....if you want to claim squatter's rights, I will happily ret'con to Creo. An L20Q10 book will someday get her an Alchemy LT from 60 to 73 someday.

Tangent: Still debating on whether it's wiser to have a second Silversmith at 6, or to max out the book to L25Q10 and take a Silversmith 1.