1221.OoC

So are the Joust, Certamen and Scavenger Hunt the only events of interest?

The Dimcatio can be done with any spell. Last year's champion won the event with a unique casting of healing spell, specially designed for the tournament to not be a ritual. Although that was a novel strategy and it is unlikely to be successful again.

The Hastilidium doesn't require all Magi to be in the party, it just involves magic to knock the opponent off, so at least one magus must be in the party. Although, having all three be magi increases the odds.

Almost any mage does well in The Hastiludium but you need Re to control your mount. It also helps to have a decent score in concentration. Your mount is generally Te or He so you need that to control. Not much. Had we more time to prepare, we could get some good strategies.

Korvin will do Dimcatio just so we have a participant.

Out of curiosity? How would a magus fast-cast defend himself against a un-voiced, no gestures, mastered Mentem spell?

Plenty of ways.
Also, this is a first strike game, so you may cast a spell, but if someone else is quicker...

So, it boils down to two factors : ruse and quickness. the former is seductive to Fieltarn, and he would like to contribute a bit more to the team efforts, but the later... let's say that he isn't particularly advantaged there.... Grumble, grumble

Are contestants allowed to cast some preparatory spells, or not?

If not, I guess he could always test his luck in Certamen... and probably ridiculize himself by doing so. :unamused:

There is no restriction on casting spells prior to the beginning of the competition, however waiting spells are forbidden, and the judges do watch for that kind of thing with Sight of the Active Magics.

Okay. Then Fieltarn will enter the Dimcatio.

So, we have the Dimcatio covered.

How about the Hastilidium. Two or three magi interested in that contest?

Jormungand will volunteer to be on the Scavenger and Hastiludium Teams, though he doesn't really know how useful he'll be.

I thought Alexei was also doing the Melee with his two grogs? Heck, you could probably add the Fighting Teacher into that mix pretty effectively.

Jormungand will volunteer to be on the Scavenger and Hastiludium Teams, though he doesn't really know how useful he'll be.

I thought Alexei was also doing the Melee with his two grogs? Heck, you could probably add the Fighting Teacher into that mix pretty effectively.

Alexei will go where he's needed. I was thinking of confining him to 2 events though, the joust and certamen.

The melee is a mundane only event.

That makes two or three for certamen. Someone needs to draw straws...

I went through the thread and made a chart, and as near as I can tell, this is who signed up for what:

Alexei: Joust and Certamen
Filtiarn: Scavenger Hunt and Dimcatio
Fiona: Certamen and Scaventer Hunt
Jormungand: Scavenger Hunt and Hastilidium
Korvin: Dimcatio
Onesiphorus: (alternate or not participating)

Joust: Alexei
Certamen: Alexei and Fiona
Scavenger Hunt: Filtiarn, Fiona, and Jormungand
Dimcatio: Filtiarn and Korvin
Hastilidium: Jormungand

Does this sound right to everybody?

Err, I don't remember agreeing to the Hastilidium, did I ? :open_mouth: If that's necessary, Fieltar will, though. :unamused:

Chart looks correct to me.

Looking back through the thread, I can't find it now. So...I'll edit that. S'okay, Filtiarn still seems to be on the Scavenger Hunt and the Dimcatio teams, I think.

Just out of curiosity, what effect, if any, does Venus's Blessing (and possibly Side Effect: Pheromones) have on a character with the Continence flaw?

Ulrich?

Wilhelm, as regards Jormungandr. Seeing as how he's secretly a woman, he would normally fall under "sexually compatible," but then he's got the Continence flaw, which I would be tempted to interpret as asexual, but not sure. If he does help with the flood situation (since he's probably flooded out too, maybe), it might become relevant.