1221: The Future is Now

In the autumn of 1221, Andor receives a reply to his letters of earlier in the year. He's informed that he can buy off the obligations of farmer families in Transylvania for one pound of silver per family, with an upper limit on how many families he can get in this way, that limit yet to be determined.

Meliai suggests "someone should fix that letter as an arcane connection, in case they do attack."

"It might be useful at that," Magnus replies. "Though it might have been written by a scribe and not anyone important. Still, it's a link. Perhaps this is something that an apprentice could do."

OOC: AC clarification - don't you need to have some idea to whom it might be an AC for it to be effective? Or is "the writer" enough?

If so, test it now so we know.

To the best of my knowledge, an AC is good for what it's good for, whether you know it or not. And if you're wrong about what you think the AC is for, then you might be in for a surprise when you use it.

"whose apprentice shall be volunteered?" (what season is this, spring or autumn?) "Afterwards we should probably use an InVi to find out what we have, but even a scribe in Atlantis can be a useful AC for a group target."

"If we decide that it's worth fixing the arcane connection," Magnus replies, "and I'm not certain it is yet. We should probably decide by lots. But I like Constantine's idea of trying the arcane connection out first to see if it's worthwhile spending a season to fix it."

"If it gives us the ability to cast spells directly inside the Regio of the Atlanteans, I do not see how it could fail to be usefull, but by all means, let us test it out."

"Its hard for such a thing not to be useful assuming the thing works at all. Even if its just to a nobody scribe it can be used as a start for scrying."

OOC: The way I understand it, an arcane connection allows for you to target people who haven't been sensed yet. Its the thing that lets you get around the the Limit of arcane connections.

"If I may, I will try to see if it presently an arcane connection to the author.", asking for the letter.

Constantine will try to scry with it, firstly with a tunnel, then an InIm spell.

Opening the Intangible Tunnel (ReVi5), CT 45 (Re 20, Vi 13, Sta 2, Aura 10) + roll (6) = CT: 51 vs Level 5 = Success, with 46 pen. I guess we'll find out something if that works.

Then if that works: Spont a scrying spell, InIm4 (InIm Base 2 for two senses at a distance, +1 Touch, +1 Conc, +0 Ind), CT 35 (In 14, Im 7, Sta 2, Aura 10, Talisman 2) + roll (9) = 44/2 = CT:22 vs 5 = Success, pen of 17.

When Constantine casts the spell, his vision narrows for a moment, and when it returns, he can see an Atlantean, much like Aquarian, swimming through a beautiful underwater city. Tall stone buildings, faintly reminiscent of ancient Atlantean architecture fill the streets and a tall faerie tale palace looms over the city to one side. Other Atlanteans as well as numerous fish swim around him. The target of the spell is swimming lazily down one large street, easily dodging around other Atlanteans and schools of fish.

Although it is tempting to watch the vista he will end the vision spell. Constantine smiles and still has a far away look in his eyes.
"It works" as his presence of mind snaps back to the room. "I was able to see the Atlantean and the surrounding city. A majestic palace in the background. I will have the letter made into a permanent connection."

fyi - story note: I've added fixing the arcane connection into Regan's plans (Constantine's apprentice) for Autumn 1221.

"Turning to another issue," Magnus adds. "Who will go to Harco in response to Prima Insatella's invitation? Atolycus is the obvious choice, though Constantine would do a good job as well. Does anyone else have any thoughts or want to volunteer?"

Atolycus smiles. "I would be honored to represent us at Harco. Though I would not say no to company..." He quickly adds, gesturing at Constantine.

"I'm of two minds on going, as the invitation is important but we have much to do. On balance I think it will be better to represent more than one magus to your House, at the very least as a demonstration of our respect. Let us go together. "

Magnus nods. "Then we should tell Benedict that we accept Prima Insatella's offer and will send our envoy to her in the Autumn."

Benedict is sent for and returns to meet with the magi.

"You've made your decision?" he asks. "What message shall I bring back to Prima Insatella?"

Atolycus smiles and addresses his fellow Redcap. "Please tell our most esteemed Prima that myself and Magus Constantine here, will be honored to represent our covenant at Harco this fall."

"Excellent!" Benedict replies. "I'll bring word back immediately." He then reaches into a belt pouch and withdraws a token with the symbol of House Mercere on it. He flips it over in the air and then hands it to Atolycus. The Redcap knows full well what the token is. It allows free passage through the Mercere portal network. "The Prima wanted your trip to Harco to be an easy one. Getting to the mainland is your own problem," he quips. "But once you get there, you'll be able to take the portal network to Harco."

"We'll expect you in early Autumn," he adds. "Is there any other message you want to send back with me?"