1222-1227 OOC

I thought it was a one shot deal. I say we keep it that way and not set up a permanent portal, but leave the idea that we can (with proper reason) set one up. It implies power, wealth and discretion.

Seriously, guys, somebody has to do it. Somebody has to start casting the higher Aegis. Viscaria showed up and took over a major time sink (admittedly for her own purposes). Fiona is spending two seasons scribing for the covenant. Other magi have to do service seasons too. If we were running the campaign linearly, then we'd run a Council Meeting wherein we mention all the tasks outstanding that need to be done and offer payments of vis to entice people to do them.

As a player, I need to have an idea of how much vis we average as covenant members, but I don't want to force anyone to do another massive chunk of math. On the other hand, the spreadsheet should make it pretty easy, if you just list each magi's allotment as Unclaimed, and then we can go back and adjust our rows as we desire. How does that sound?

I had suggested opening a portal to the new Val Negra, where Ariel has moved the Flambeau Domus Magnus., whether we keep the portal to Harco open or not. However, maintaining two portals ends up costing more than even our massive income of ReTe vis, apparently.

I'm assuming that was 35 vis for the whole year, and not just for the Race For The Pennant?

Viscaria would happily do that bargaining as part of her Princeps duties, if no one else wants the job. I think having a portal to Val Negra would be a strong move for Mons Electi, since we have 3 Flambeau who were stongly involved in getting Ariel the gig. Harco is also damn useful, but two portals would generate a lot of traffic and income, as well as give our mundane factors some opportunities for international trading.

Val Negra, being a newly formed covenant, might not have the resources to get their own portal to Harco, and might even appreciate the security buffer going through Mons Electi would involve.

I had disclosed the amount (but not the type) for Race for the Pennant earlier... The distribution of forms is the same as what I announced above...

Correction. I also need to know how much Vim vis that Viscaria can have by 1223.3 for opening her talisman.

Currently working on generating a running total of how much vis she needs for the Tribunal Project.

What's her talisman going to be?

Given the wealth of the covenant, I wasn't sure if I needed to ask specifically about the red coral.

I agree that making a DEO wand would be mechanically different than making a DEO blasting ring. However, I'm talking about your talisman here. You should be familiar enough with your talisman that adding to it should be easy, not hard.

As per the RAW, I can't avail myself of any lab texts in order to add a power to my talisman. That means that my talisman will never have any powers in it more than half my lab total.

Here's an example from Viscaria's next five years:

In 1224.Spring, Viscaria will be enchanting The Candlewand, a greater device that has been opened with 6 pawns. She has a Lab Total of 69.

• Using a lab text written by someone else, she instills Unending Circles of Light, a CrIg 20 enchantment. She can only use this lab text if it is for adding that spell to a greater enchantment.
  • Using a lab text written by someone else, she instills Home is a Hearthfire, a CrIg 25 enchantment. This lab text can only be for a greater enchantment, but it doesn't matter if it is for the same greater device that the other one was for.
    *She has 24 points of Lab Total left over, and has just generated personal versions of the lab texts for the other two spells, but cannot use either of them to instill one of these spells in her talisman. She can only use lab texts for spells she has already installed in her talisman, or create a new one of no greater than CrIg 12.

How many components is that? How high is her MT going to be when she initially opens the Talisman for enchantment?

And I swear we've had this discussion before about Major Philosophic Alchemy. It does not say that you can open an item in 7 days. It says, in the automatic extraction of vis, that you can set an extraction process to happen over the course of a season, and you treat it as a 7 day distraction from your other lab work, later restrictions and descriptions follow. Going onto the Ready Opened Devices section, it states that it an item can be pre-opened with enchantment spaces, as if it were soaking up the vis that would normally be distilled[1] during the period of vis extraction, and then it can be opened for enchantment, normally during the season. If you disagree with this interpretation please find and cite the page for me.

[1]I would allow distillation into Vim and distillation into a device happen in the same year, the amount that gets distilled into the device is going to be based on the lowest lab total involved, in the event that there is more than a 10 day distraction from labwork during a season, note 7 count against you to start.

Check your datestamps. That was the previous discussion about Major Philosophic Alchemy. I was only giving the URL to point to the description of the talisman, not to rehash an old argument. We've agreed to disagree on this point, and its your saga. I freely acknowledge that my viewpoint would probably be different if I wasn't the player trying to min-mix the loophole.

Rather than clutter this thread, I'll post the component list over on Viscaria's thread. Is there a limitation on the number of components somewhere? I don't recall such a thing.

I admit, I wasn't looking at date stamps.
And as to it being my saga and what not, that's not really a fair assessment, it's the troupe's saga, I'm the SG. And I've made it clear that if there is a consensus against my understanding of the rules, I am more than willing to reverse my decision. Yeah, I'm taking this one a bit personally.

Magic Theory limits the amount of components in a talisman. Page 97 of the main text, Preparation for Enchantment section lays out the limitations of components in a compound device, and also how it can be opened.

Again, I freely admit that my attitude on this is being wholly shaped by wanting to find every loophole I can in the enchanting rules. Unlike my current gripe with lab text restrictions, which I feel are a thematic failure, the Alchemy/Talisman loophole discussion was totally about me gunning for maximum numbers.

I fail to see the difference if your talisman is a ring and the lab text is for a wand. If your talisman and the enchanted device the lab text refers to is also a wand then we might have some similarities.

By the rules, the "ring vs wand" argument only applies to lesser enchantments. If the lab text is for an effect which is part of a greater enchantment, than the lab text can be used on any greater enchantment [i]except for your talisman.[i]

Which is more Mythic?

• Seeking the lab texts of Flambeau's talisman so that you can instill them in your own, or one more reason for your magi to hide in his tower?

• Battling an enchanter who can attack you with every spell he was ever commissioned to enchant with a single device, or an enchanter carrying a dozen wands around with him?

We're pulling down 76 pawns of vis a year (not including the 24 pawns of Dedicated Rego Terram, which we haven't been including in the past), less the seven pawns we use for Aegis of the Hearth.

For 1222, we have two full members (Alexei and Fiona), since Apollodorus died and Fieltarn, Jormungandr, and Onesiphorus left. Korvin, Isen, Jacques, and Viscaria are probationary members. Full members get a full share, probationary members get a half.

In 1223, Korvin moves to Full Membership. In 1224, Isen, Jacques and Viscaria do.

So: (yay! A chart!)

[table][tr][td][u]Member[/u][/td]
[td][u]1222[/u][/td]
[td][u]1223[/u][/td]
[td][u]1224[/u][/td]
[td][u]1225[/u][/td]
[td][u]1226[/u][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Alexei[/td]
[td]19[/td]
[td]16[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Fiona[/td]
[td]19[/td]
[td]16[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Isen[/td]
[td]9[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Jacques[/td]
[td]9[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Korvin[/td]
[td]9[/td]
[td]16[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Viscaria[/td]
[td]9[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td][/tr][/table]
This is assuming no other vis expenditures than the Aegis of the Hearth, and that we're still casting a Level 35 Aegis for the whole time.

Vis allowance is calculated for the year at the Winter Meeting and distributed at the following Spring Meeting, so you get your vis for 1223 at the first meeting in 1224, and is based on membership status at the Winter meeting.

Fiona is going to "set a good example" by deferring all her vis allowance until after Tribunal (unless something comes up where she needs vis).

((edited to account for the silver coins from the Temple of Janus))

Add 10 pawns Creo from Temple of Janus, too.

So Alexei ends up doing that as part of Princeps duties?

I don't understand what you're asking? It's always the responsibility of the Princeps to ensure that vis is collected...
I didn't do the math on the chart, but it looked like it was including the Tropea, but not the Temple of Janus.

Right. I had forgotten about the Janus. 10 pawns of Creo per year, in winter. And the princeps doesn't have to collect it himself...he just has to see that it is. Delegation, mon cher!

Whoa. Skill summa follow the same copying rules as Arts summa.

So Fiona's Scribe 2 + 1 Ordinary Mirror Bonus could copy 18 Levels of Arts/Summa or quickly copy 54 Levels in two seasons. Conceivably, that could be up to 10x L5 books on mundane skills. o.O

I like the idea of a book on Parma. I still say Creo would be a good move, since everyone but the apprentices are beyond it. No one touched the Penetration book. Is that because the SQ was so low?

It is most probably a balance issue but could be explained that the Talisman is considered a part of you and thus has more astrological considerations than a enchanted item.