1222-1227 OOC

Maris is the Exarch of Tremere for Normandy and other Tribunals. Fiona and Alexei know her. It isn't exactly a secret that while Le Maison hosted Prospero had nothing to do with the process as he was preparing for his Archmagus challenge. She forwarded the book on hosting to Fiona.

Maybe I'm too close to Ra'am and Prospero, but I think Thera needs to go through Ra'am. What kind of relationship did they have? Was it cordial? Was it cool? Does Ra'am owe a favor and need to carry water for the introduction? What Thera is doing is like cold call sales where you are calling people you know through others. That success rate is not high. I will say that Ra'am only really spoke of Prospero's knowledge of Magic Theory and weather magic. So she really doesn't have a connection to Prospero.

Good one.

I would have made the same choice :smiley:

Ok, excuse my poor OOC OoH lore, but are these covenant pro or anti-lotharingian tribunal? Where do they stand reguarding this issue?
Isen, OoH lore 2, Int 2, 1d10=5 = 9

And Celeres, Proctor?
1d10=1, 1d10=8 = 20

Florum is in Flanders, the others are all vassals of Florum.

Celeres would be the oldest living magus in the Tribunal. He fancies himself a seeker of the Holy Grail and has attracted several young magi (knights) who go questing for the thing. Proctor is the head of Confluensis, and Presiding Quaesitor of the Tribunal. Ostensibly Valerian's superior.

Celeres was in Fuldin(sp?) which is controlled by Confluensis and is the current Mercere House for the tribunal.

Cunfin

From the latest letter:

I could use some clarification. Who are the officers casting this? 'Officers of the Tribunal' would be NPCs outside of the covenant?

I have a real problem with that, and if Valerian is one of the officers...expect that not to happen even if Alexei has to do something rash.

Woops, wrong thread. Don't reply to this, im heading to the Tribunal thrread.

That is what a massive head cold will do to the thought processes. Not like I had a lot to spare :slight_smile:

Still trying to figure out just how stacked Aegises work. And, since I'm a visual-learning kinda guy, please refer to this map.

Say that we're in Montrose, which is protected by a 7th-magnitude Aegis. The Tribunal comes in and casts, say, a 10th magnitude Aegis over Bridgewater Township, which contains Montrose.

My theory is that, if we are in Montrose, we are affected by the Tribunal's M10 Aegis, but not by our M7. On the other hand, any guests of the Tribunal in Montrose would be affected by our M7, but not by the Tribunal's M10.

And any uninvited/expelled magi/magic critters in Montrose would be affected by both Aegises, but only suffer the highest applicable penalties; that is, the penalties do not stack.

Is this all pretty much right?

And, if so, would I be correct in assuming that there are rules against double-casting Aegises in the Tribunal book?

I tend to think that only the highest applicable Aegis will apply if multiple Aegides exist. Now, what is the highest applicable Aegis? That 10th magnitudes Aegis might be 10th magnitude because of size but only 4th magnitude of effect.
However, I think this issue is moot, you won't have conurrent Aegides over a single spot.

That is what kept thinking. worst off is that some/all of us have our AoH privileges removed from the tribunal Aegis. I'm sure it would be an oversight that might happen while the joust is happening but those are the breaks.

This is how I see it too. Most of AoH's effects are all-or-nothing: if the externally cast spell doesn't have enough Penetration, or the critter doesn't have enough Might, then it can't get in. For these effects, a literal application of the rules is equivalent to taking the stronger of the two.

The fuzzy area is when a non-token-bearing magus is inside the Aegis and casts a spell, and half the level of the Aegis is subtracted from the Casting Total. To me the literal interpretation would be that these subtractions stack, but that seems imbalancing to the game, so I'd go with the stronger of the two instead.

No more time. Did nothing but post this morning despite late work, more coming in.

Agree with peregrine, makes sense. Strongest applicable aegis. For critters, strongest that penetrates.

I'm at work and thus without my book that are not on PDF. Is there a mystery that uses symbolic connections? I keep thinking I read it in the last several months but I'm not sure. I ask because I was trying to think of a device that would sound a central bell that the watch could have. Linking smaller bells to a large on so that when the smaller bell is rung the larger rings. I think we could do this with AC but it might as expensive as watching wards.

It's not a symbolic connection so much as it is an arcane connection. Such as all the bells were forged together and then the connections were fixed (this would be part of the enchantment process) and then enchanted so that they ring the larger bell when they themselves are rung.

[color=blue]"What if I were to enchant a couple of swords with Curse of Circe? Pre-sliced bacon!"

(Yes, this is totally ooc....or is it? :smiley: )

I feel like that is a very anachronistic view. In the middle ages, we were not overwhelmed with spam, junk mail and cold calls. There are many examples in fiction set in the period where complete strangers would write letters of introduction to each other on the slimmest of pretenses. When I wrote those letters, I assumed that the idea of "I just moved to this area and am looking to make friends" was an unsurprising sentiment, and one that would generally be welcome. After all, it's not like she's asking for a season of work. Just an evening's entertainment.

Dang, I replied to this hours ago, it was eaten or something. Friggin' iPad.

To some degree, yes, I agree with this, but I think there should be some nexus. It's one thing to say, I'll be in the area on such and such date, and would you take a moment of time to meet with me than to do what you're doing. But, my commentary was more along the lines of you don't really want to contact Prospero, and it's fairly reasonable for Theraposa to know that Prospero delegated everything to Maris.

But, I found the whole letter confusing? Which nephew? What did Viscaria just figure out?

Nephew, meaning brother of your son, or rather coven-mate of your fillius. I was saying that I hadn't drawn the connection between Prospero in Le Maison and Ra'am's pater.

At this point, I don't really care how it is handled. I had complained that there was a lack of inter-covenant interactions preceding the Tribunal. You, JL, said that in order for that to be resolved, I would have to take some in-character steps to handle it. So I wrote a bunch of letters of introduction to various magi and covenants that I would like my characters to know better. If you want, then you can turn those in-character requests into some kind of actionable game material. Otherwise, my Verditus enchanter can quite happily get back to her lab and stop trying to politic.

I thought you might go back to magi from Viscaria's back story, Spider's Palace, possibly Florum or, alternatively, covenants closer to Mons Electi. I've short cut the letter process between Viscaria and Prospero. Viscaria finds out that Prospero delegated the entire process to Maris. This should say a lot to the players about the relationship between Prospero and Maris, and by extension House Tremere.