1222-1227 OOC

Again, I freely admit that my attitude on this is being wholly shaped by wanting to find every loophole I can in the enchanting rules. Unlike my current gripe with lab text restrictions, which I feel are a thematic failure, the Alchemy/Talisman loophole discussion was totally about me gunning for maximum numbers.

I fail to see the difference if your talisman is a ring and the lab text is for a wand. If your talisman and the enchanted device the lab text refers to is also a wand then we might have some similarities.

By the rules, the "ring vs wand" argument only applies to lesser enchantments. If the lab text is for an effect which is part of a greater enchantment, than the lab text can be used on any greater enchantment [i]except for your talisman.[i]

Which is more Mythic?

• Seeking the lab texts of Flambeau's talisman so that you can instill them in your own, or one more reason for your magi to hide in his tower?

• Battling an enchanter who can attack you with every spell he was ever commissioned to enchant with a single device, or an enchanter carrying a dozen wands around with him?

We're pulling down 76 pawns of vis a year (not including the 24 pawns of Dedicated Rego Terram, which we haven't been including in the past), less the seven pawns we use for Aegis of the Hearth.

For 1222, we have two full members (Alexei and Fiona), since Apollodorus died and Fieltarn, Jormungandr, and Onesiphorus left. Korvin, Isen, Jacques, and Viscaria are probationary members. Full members get a full share, probationary members get a half.

In 1223, Korvin moves to Full Membership. In 1224, Isen, Jacques and Viscaria do.

So: (yay! A chart!)

[table][tr][td][u]Member[/u][/td]
[td][u]1222[/u][/td]
[td][u]1223[/u][/td]
[td][u]1224[/u][/td]
[td][u]1225[/u][/td]
[td][u]1226[/u][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Alexei[/td]
[td]19[/td]
[td]16[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Fiona[/td]
[td]19[/td]
[td]16[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Isen[/td]
[td]9[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Jacques[/td]
[td]9[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Korvin[/td]
[td]9[/td]
[td]16[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Viscaria[/td]
[td]9[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]12[/td][/tr][/table]
This is assuming no other vis expenditures than the Aegis of the Hearth, and that we're still casting a Level 35 Aegis for the whole time.

Vis allowance is calculated for the year at the Winter Meeting and distributed at the following Spring Meeting, so you get your vis for 1223 at the first meeting in 1224, and is based on membership status at the Winter meeting.

Fiona is going to "set a good example" by deferring all her vis allowance until after Tribunal (unless something comes up where she needs vis).

((edited to account for the silver coins from the Temple of Janus))

Add 10 pawns Creo from Temple of Janus, too.

So Alexei ends up doing that as part of Princeps duties?

I don't understand what you're asking? It's always the responsibility of the Princeps to ensure that vis is collected...
I didn't do the math on the chart, but it looked like it was including the Tropea, but not the Temple of Janus.

Right. I had forgotten about the Janus. 10 pawns of Creo per year, in winter. And the princeps doesn't have to collect it himself...he just has to see that it is. Delegation, mon cher!

Whoa. Skill summa follow the same copying rules as Arts summa.

So Fiona's Scribe 2 + 1 Ordinary Mirror Bonus could copy 18 Levels of Arts/Summa or quickly copy 54 Levels in two seasons. Conceivably, that could be up to 10x L5 books on mundane skills. o.O

I like the idea of a book on Parma. I still say Creo would be a good move, since everyone but the apprentices are beyond it. No one touched the Penetration book. Is that because the SQ was so low?

It is most probably a balance issue but could be explained that the Talisman is considered a part of you and thus has more astrological considerations than a enchanted item.

Noticed some things on the magi planning:

• On Winter 1227, both Fiona and Alexei study from The Stag, The Hound, and The Prince of the Seven Crowns. It's easy for one of them to switch.
  • On Spring 1226, Korvin learns Leap of Homecoming from a lab text. We have a text?

Tria.

This concerns the covenant, an ally and our ennemies. As isen sees it, fiona's travel can wait if he's needed by her. If she chooses to go without him, it's because she thinks she can manage. As a adult maga, he expects her to know that, and be able to decide.

I know, and Isen is quite conscious of it, too. As Rego is his specialty, he sees it as his duty to do it and to ensure the covenant is safe.

I've currently sent Isen on the road to learn the 10th magnitude Aegis. I'm currently (winter 1224 in what I did) at lab total 44 and CT 32.
Once he's learned greek, he'll try to learn from Appolodorus book once per year, learning each covenant Aegis in succession. That way, he should be able to learn the 10th mag aegis it in 6-7 seasons. He could sooner, with help, but he's not the kind to ask for it: He's used to manage things on his own.

He also wants to learn one of our wizard's communion (he can already), for obvious reasons. He'll do it in Spring 1225, if he can.
Likewise, he'll learn the Watching Ward he brought with him. That way, he'll be able to cast any such spell that the council asks for. He'll try to propose putting traps for invaders, at least one such ward per year. He will try to work with Viscaria and Alexei to develop covenant defenses.

Err... No. You can spend multiple seasons investing an effect, you don't have to do it all at once :wink:

Isen will only stockpile the 4 pawns of rego vis that comes from his source (probably not counted here). That way, he won't weaken the covenant.
The rest, he'll give back to the covenant, just like fiona.

Isen would write one, but he sucks at it :frowning: It would take him 9 seasons to write a lvl 05 parma, and it would only be Quality 4 :frowning:
LIkewise, he can write a tractatus about it, but it's only Q4 :frowning:
He is, of course, interested about buying tractati on parma, but, well...

I thought somebody promised to write one out...or, we can use the excuse of the upcoming Tribunal to trade like madmen for lab texts...

I was sort of hoping that somebody would be spending seasons cataloguing A's sanctum.

Should V be trying to learn Wizard's Communion somewhere in this mess?

Err... No. You can spend multiple seasons investing an effect, you don't have to do it all at once :wink:
[/quote]
Oh, I suppose that's true. I often forget about the multiple seasons thing. Still, I think it's incoherent and decreases adventuring opportunities to go seeking valuable texts for your talisman.

I meant for Fiona to copy a book on Parma while she's at Durenmar, among other things.

Like JL pointed out, Fiona did call it first. But if Gunnar's busy and can't do something over the winter, I'm sure we can work out a deal.

Like I said, Fiona's old covenant has both Corpus and Animal versions of Leap of the Homecoming if we want to trade for one (or both, for whatever reason).

I'm waiting on a response to my question as to whether it looks like a seasonal project or something that could be done in a few days, or weeks, and (at worst) count as a Distraction from a seasonal activity.

I believe so...as well as anyone else who doesn't already know it, considering that Wards and Aegises have to penetrate. The higher level we can get with the lowest Casting Total, and thus the most Penetration, the better, methinks.

I'm down with a Parma summa. Do we want Fiona to copy quickly (getting thrice the levels but losing 1 from the Source Quality of each book), or copy carefully (getting one or two books at the original SQ)?

Well, getting to Greek 4 is necessary to do it.
And there's the issue of Apollodorus's lab at the pied-à-terre...

Jacques can do it in 1226 or Korvin in 1225.1 as precepts.

Korvin has that as a placeholder for Alexei making the lab text or Fiona bring one back from copying. Looks like neither will happen in the 5 years so it will be a push.

((I'm not sure if the Hermes Portal is up, it hadn't been decided, as far as I know. I'm not clear how you're intending to use the portal, either.))

For the Mr. Walid thread, is there something I need to do? I held off the roll for Brionne, I figured there was some kind of description at the scene first.

Is anyone playing Brionne or Michelle?

((I was under the impression that it would be just for the one year, and that to make it easier for people to get to Harco for the transition after the wave of magicides back in '22. Do we want to be seen as "important" enough to warrant keeping a HP to the Mercere Domus Magnus all the time?))

With a return of 70 pawns of Vis it is reasonable to presume you can at least make the fee House Mercere charges back. Still out the Vis for the ritual, but who has plans for the ReTe Vis otherwise?