1222.2a The Lost Boys

Isen is growing bored by all this unneeded banter. He'll say nothing, awaiting for this waste of time to go away.

"Once we have Marcus and any other objective, we can also merely transport our way out instantly. Assuming that we have not crossed a regio. Tunneling out seems to be the better way if we can't transport ourselves. I have said my piece, I shall accept the plan for entrance that we agree on and slaughter any that get in our way. That is the elegance of my plan. Combat is inevitable, whether we go through the front or down some tunnel. Flexibility is at the heart of the School of Ramius, the principals of combat coupled with magical enhancements on the participants lends itself to any combat scenario. Decide how we will enter, you shall have my support and my...considerable combat skill on your side. But I feel I have no real ability to make tunnels, so someone else will have to do that." he turns to the men and examines their gear and readiness.

"I agree, let's follow the plan that Marcus is expecting, and then take things from there. Viscaria chimes in.

Isen smiles, and rejoices. For they'll have the opportunity to try and destroy some of these foul abominations.

Let's go, then. Each moment lost puts Marcus at risk.

The party begins moving towards the entrance to the cave system. Overhead can be a subtle stroke of what sounds like large wings. Anyone looking up will see something in the moonlight that looks vaguely like a mastiff with wings. Every once in a while it veers off the trail the party is following and off in the distance a flash of light and a scream can be heard. As the party nears the entrance Apollodorus halts the group. Sardon takes several side swipes of breathing fire into the cave, befor hovereing directly in front of the entrance and making a sustained breath lasting nearly a minute. The first few swipes had a couple of screams associated with them, but the sustained breath eventually gets a chorus of screams, at least 5 different voices can be heard (awareness+perception of 12+ will provide more detailed information).
"I've done all I can, Apollodorus, find him, or I'll roast you and enjoy you as a snack," he says in a deep guttural snarl before flying off.

Everyone is standing at the cave entrance, the heat from the rocks is quite intense for those not protected by a MR of greater than 20 for Ignem. Touching the walls is ill-advised. The party can go in 2 abreast.

Combat isn't happening immediately, but I'd like to get the initiative rolls out of the way, so please post those at your convenience.

Deykin has Per 1 + Awareness 2 + die roll of 3 = 6.

Since the last thing I saw in the Turbulent Matter thread regarding arms and armour for the turb said "partial armor, melee weapon, bow" and nobody expounded or contradicted or embellished on that, I'm going with Partial Metal Scale Armor (4 Protection, 4 Load), along with the heater shield, short sword, and short bow and arrows.

So: Qik 1 + Weapon 1 - Enc 2 + die roll of 1 (followed by die roll of 4, for a total of 8 ) = 8.

The Brabanters have crossbows. In+5, Attack +5, Defense +0 Damage +8 Takes 3 rounds to reload

Isen readies himself. There may be things that survived due to their MR, or that were protected by the rocks.

1d10=6 + 3 (Ice Sword) = 9

If he sees something enough in advance, he'll cast (or fast-cast, depending) 6 daggers of ice. If something springs up on him, though, his first reaction will probably be to strike at it.

Korvin is day dreaming

1d10=10
1d10=10 BOTCH
1d10=1

total of -2 ( with encumbrance)

Claude
1d10=5+ Qk1+weapon+1 - 1 Encumber = 6

Elain suddenly gasps outloud, and the begins a furious whispering session with Laetitia. Apollodorus, and indeed everyone else look on as if this is a less than optimal time to have a quarrel. After some insistence on Elain's part the incredulous look on her face vanishes. Finally, after appearing to think about something for a moment she studies Apollodorus face intently, breaks off a piece of rock from the cliff face and then disappears, leaving Elain stunned. Elain appears to be ready to say something. Apollodorus swears in about a half a dozen languages.

"I need a magus to return to Mons Electi to speak to Andru on my behalf. I also need someone to allow me to send them to Coeris or someone who is capable travelling to Coeris with an arcane connection that I can provide, they should be a magus, as well. The mission has changed, and it's no longer a matter of simply saving Marcus, but saving him and ourselves." Apollodorus looks as if his world has crumbled before him. "In a few moments several highly trained...hoplites, for lack of a better word, will be here and will attempt to assassinate me, and probably everyone with me, now that my identity has been revealed. They'll take stock of the situation and determine that this is the best time to get to me. I need to alert Poena at Coeris and Andru who's still at Mons Electi, and it best be a magus who goes." Apollodorus and Carmine exchange a glance and she nods, "Carmine and I'll remain here and stay with everyone else to rescue Marcus and then we'll depart." He looks at each of the magi expectantly. "I know I owe all of you a big explanation, but now isn't the time."

"Apollodorus, someone needs to go to Coeris, of course, but you need to go back to Mons Electi. Marcus will either be in a position to understand, or he won't. You're letting your friendship with Marucs interfere with what you must do. I know this hasn't happened at an opportune time, but you have a greater duty to those who are likely unprepared for battle. We here are prepared to some extent. Those who remained at Mons Electi are not." Effectively taking charge Carmine looks around, "who's going to Coeris. My suggestion is someone who is not combat magic capable, as you'll be well protected at Coeris."

Isen

WTF??? (italic is for thoughts. I guess it's Laetitia who dissappeared)

What was that about?
After hearing Apollodorus and Carmine explanations...

I concurr. My place is either here, or at Mons Electi. And if Mons Electi is attacked by your ennemies, maybe you'll be able to lead them away.
We'll rescue Marcus, and, once this is done, will come back to help you... Assuming we can.
Is there a way for us to travel back on our own or to ask you to come fetch us?

I guess that is me. Tell me what I must do.

Carmine leans in close to Korvin and whispers to him, "Make your way to Poena, then find your own Primus via the Portal between Coeris and Harco, and ask her to make her way to Durenmar. From there, Harco, you need to travel to Castra Solis and speak to Garus and ask him to join you and your Primus in Durenmar. To Poena, you need to tell her exactly what has happened here. If you have trouble getting to her, tell whomever you can that Xenophon has sent you to seek her out. Elain could go with you, too, and he can help grease the wheels a bit. She will likely travel to Durenmar as soon as you tell her what has happened. At Harco, you need to tell Insatella to open the red envelope from her predecessor, if she hasn't done so already, and then take action described therein. Finally, make your way to Castra Solis and tell Garus that the Primuses of Tremere, Mercere, Bonisagus and Jerbiton and perhaps a few others request and require the honor of his presence at Durenmar forthwith." Carmine hands Korvin what he assumes is an Arcane Connection to Castra Solis. When he looks at her questioningly, she nods.

I'm double posting this here and in its own thread.

Alexei had been about to teleport to the cave now that the drake had done its duty. The sudden quarrel among their ranks demanded his attention and so he dropped the spell he was about to cast and turned to the rest.

"What is going on!" he demanded in a terse whisper. With Apollodorus's explanation his eyes narrowed dangerously and he raised his spear up as he looked about them all with suspicion. "Appollodorus...what have you gotten us into? And think very hard before you ask me to take up arms against Hoplites...a group that I have wanted to join since my apprenticeship. Why would they come to you now at all, let alone to assasinate you?"

"Alexei, don't take that tone with me. I saved your life just over two years ago. Mufarjj had a killing blow lined up, and you might recall his sword stopped in mid air, who do you think did that? Mixed, up, indeed. Every magus is mixed up in this, it's about the future of the Order, and the past. House Guernicus marked me for assassination over 50 years ago, because I've done careful scholarship of the remaining Druesca scrolls. They are not, nor were they ever forgeries as have been claimed."

Apollodorus looks as if the weight of the world is on his shoulders, "Alright, this has spiraled out of control, I admit it. Korvin, I can transport you and Elain to Coeris, when you're ready. Alexei, I think you and I had best return to Mons Electi. I believe Isen, Carmine and Marcus can resolve the situation here." As he says that an explosion rocks the cave, "I would expect that's Marcus. So, we must be swift. Isen, you and Carmine take charge of whomever is here, see that everyone is safely evacuated to the ship. We'll make arrangements for your return to Mons Electi," he pauses for a long while as if trying to find the words, "after it has been secured."

"Alexei, come with me." Again, Apollodorus voice is one of command, "You, Deykin, do you wish to stay here or go home with me? It is likely that in either place you'll find more fight than you can imagine." Apollodorus tone is bleak.

Alexei gasps at the rebuke. "You dare..!" he chews his lip in frustration, biting back the harsh words and challenge that was just behind his teeth. One thing that he would not do, not as a Flambeau, a Miles, or a member of his Covenant, was allow his personal issues to overcome battlefield cohesion and decorum. Swallowing back his outrage he finally addresses Isen and those that are staying first and then Apollodorus.

"The Covenant is more important than rescuing the magi in the cave, and they will be rescued." he says to Isen, drawing a hand across his chest, a kind of farewell sign that the Milites used. "Apollodorus, I have accepted your leadership and sponsorship, as such, if you feel my talents are best suited at the Covenant, then I shall go with you there. I will forget the impropriety shown me and will address it later. There will be a later. Hoplite or no, my home will not be threatened, any that try shall know my name and have cause to fear it and regret their mistake. I suggest you make your attack quickly, the spells and enhancements I have cast on men and gear will fade at the setting of the Sun, but will serve well until then." he moves to stand next to Apollodorus, but the fierceness of his gaze speaks volumes.

Apollodorus looks about fit to burst, but Carmine responds before Apollodorus can find the words, "Alexei, Apollodorus has Garus' full support, you should mark your words more carefully. If I weren't here on Andru's behalf, I would be here on Garus' behalf. Much has been kept from you, from all of you, because it wasn't the right time. Trouble is, it will never be the right time, and now it is too late. House Guernicus has been working for centuries, almost since the passing of their Founder, to control the Order. Apollodorus knows much of their activity, but they didn't know who he really was until Elain just blurted it out here. Apollodorus has always trusted the sodales of his covenant, but he has not always been permitted to share as much as he would've liked, as it would have endangered too much of what we had been working for."

((Waiting for Deykin to make a decision on whether to return with Apollodorus and Alexei.))

Alexei's expression is noncommittal as he listens to Carmine. He's been breathing deeply and letting his breaths out in long sighs and seems calmed again.

"I understand, and I know that Garus supports Apollodorus. There is much that is being revealed now, much that I do not fully understand. But one thing I do understand is when I have been insulted and offered disrespect. However that is not important, I will not allow it to mar my judgment nor affect my skill in combat. There are more important considerations." he says, holding up his hand to forestall anyone else stating the obvious. "So...let it fall, I have already done so. Apollodorus...at your leisure." he gestures to indicate he is ready.

Viscaria and her shield grog will stay here and rescue Marcus. The cave system is better turf for her to be fighting in than the covenant.