1222.2b: Overture

Douglas lifts a brow but doesn't refuse the coin, pocketing it before Talia changes her mind.

He says that he's lived his whole life in Loch Leglean, born and raised in the Mercere House outside Edinburgh, and doesn't want to live anywhere else. Granted, the weather could be a little nicer sometimes, but the land is beautiful and he likes to explore it when he has time. "Incredible hills and valleys around here," he says with a smile. "But enough about me," he says. "What brings you to Loch Leglean? I can tell by your accent that you're not Scottish." He hasn't taken his eyes off of Talia since Halie left.

"Trouble. I'll be direct with you. I haven't been direct with my sodales here, yet. Although, I'm sure Drystan and the others know, or suspect." She'll say this, because she believes it reasonable that the others would know about her and what she sold."It's likely that Fengheld is after me, and if you hear anything about them or their agents roaming about up here, I'd really appreciate it." Sal brings a shawl over and puts it on Talia's shoulders. "Thanks, Sal." she says and smiles at him sweetly. She digs out another schilling from her purse. "Anyway, I'd really appreciate any forewarning you can provide on this matter." She stretches out luxuriously. Sal moves around the boat doing lord knows what. "I'm just a simple girl with very straightforward...appetites. I'm sure you've heard of the singing pirate, haven't you? I'd demonstrate, but the wind is a bit brisk tonight, and we're moored, and i'd probably pull out half the pier."

Douglas takes the shilling, and watches Talia stretch with a smile.

"There is nothing wrong with being straightforward," he says, "or with having a healthy appetite and an appreciation for the better things in life. Makes it more enjoyable all around."

He moves a little closer. "And the moment I hear anything to do with Fengeld, I will let you know."

((Singing Pirate's not ringing a bell for me, sorry. Little help?))

((That was the kind of MO I was going for originally. She hasn't been a rapacious pirate, though. Very likely Fengheld heard her sing when she stole the cargo in her backstory.))
"Oh, I'm so glad you think so!" Talia says with a knowing smile while licking her lips. ((Where's he at on the looks scale? Although, she's not super picky.))"Anyway, I've been thinking of making an honest start here. You know of anyone who needs a ship or might be interested in buying a ship? I have a crew member who wants to start a shipyard. And this vessel was created with my Arts. A few years ago I discovered my Gift seemed to work best when focused on ships and boats. So, he and I have some mutual interests in a Hermetic and mundane sense. Being from a House with interests in commerce and travel, I thought a Redcap would be a natural person to ask, so your coming buy so soon is fortuitous." Talia's eyebrows arch and she licks her lips and twirls her hair. Sal is also sending her signs that he wants a turn tonight by wandering aimlessly on the deck.

Douglas is tall (pushing six feet), with a sturdy build, long dark curly hair, and hazel eyes. Clean-shaven, with a Kirk Douglas chin.

"I doubt that we'll be needing any in Edinburgh, being on the Firth of Forth. Unless it's of exceptional quality, beyond what the local shipwrights could make. I will definitely make a few discreet inquiries, though. For all I know, there may well be a market for ships built by...craftsmen outside the conventional fields."

He's definitely picking up on the vibes she's sending out, and moves a little closer so that their knees are touching, trying desperately to ignore Sal. "Maybe there's somewhere we can to go work things out in private?"

((Well, this ship should qualify of being high quality, at the very least, being created with Creo magics and a Finesse roll of 15 against an Ease factor of 9, despite being a few years old.))

"Would you care to conduct an inspection below decks? I can invite you into my sanctum for a more comfortable...intercourse. I believe I can satisfy your demands about excellence."

((He knows it's a nice-looking boat, but beyond that? He doesn't know ships, or boats, well enough to know high-quality from good.))

He will gladly go below deck with you, and a mutually (very) enjoyable night is had by both. Sal likely spends the night in his bunk unless he wants to try his hand on shore.

After several hours, when Douglas is worn (say after the third or fourth time, unless he has stamina and doesn't stop), but Talia is still raring and ready to go. There is a polite knock on the door during a lull in the activity. Sal will only knock if the boat ain't a rockin'. "Have you had a sufficient inspection of my hold? Sal would like to take his turn. Do you mind?"

Douglas looks wounded, but doesn't say anything. "No, of course not. I am quite satisfied. It's been a memorable evening, and I will definitely work on what we talked about earlier." He gets dressed and makes his way back to his guest cottage.

"You can stay. You might get re-energized," Talia touches him and reminds him of the delights they've shared. "Sal normally doesn't take long." she'll whisper in his ear. If he still insists on leaving, "It was a pleasure and I hope to have you visit again. Oh, I think Ysebrand was looking to speak with you." She'll say absently. IF he doesn't mind sharing, well, no one's getting sleep.

After a moment's hesitation (and the gentle coaxing from Talia) he will stay, is eventually re-energized, and gets no sleep.

"Delightful." Talia purrs lasciviously. In the morning, when the sun is rising and the Douglas and Talia are awakened by sounds of the crew above decks, Sal having left sometime earlier in the night. "I need to go to my nurse's cottage and check on my son, and then I have some work to do. I know Ysebrand wanted to speak to a Redcap, but he didn't tell me why. See you tonight?" she says running her hands along his chest.

"I would love to," he says with a satisfied smile. He then asks for directions to Ysebrand's cottage,and makes his way there after stopping by the guest cottage to freshen up.

Early- to mid-morning, Ysebrand has a knock at his door.

If Douglas thought he was tired, the sight that confronts him suggests that he has no concept of tired, based on how Ysebrand looks. A frail thin man with what appears to be a cold or something answers the door."Hello?" Noticing the Redcap, or perhaps expecting him, "Someone tell you I was looking for a redcap?" He ushers him indoors.

"Yes," Douglas says. "Talia said you wanted to speak to me."

He looks closely at Ysebrand. "Are you ill? Should I call for the doctor?"

When he asks if Ysebrand is ill, he'll say, "After a fashion. And as far as the doctor goes, "A doctor would be powerless to help me, even a casting of Incantation of the Body Made Whole would be useless, but that which powers the ritual, well that's what I need. Do you understand me?" When it's clear that Douglas understands he's not talking to some ordinary person, but someone who has intimate knowledge of Hermetic Magic, he'll continue.
"I need to know about the magi who were here before I arrived, who is most approachable. Who can keep a secret." At this, Ysebrand will produce a schilling, if he's got two to rub together, "I'd like to offer my services as an assistant to a magus who is discreet and can pay me in vis. I hope there is one here, but the Verditius is too distracted, the Bonisagus is too untrustworthy, Talia is too much everything, the Bjornaer would probably be interested in pursuing a prosecution or something and making new Hermetic Law, and I have no clue about the Pralician. The others here are a better shot, but I need to know what you can tell me."

"I see." The Redcap looks at Ysebrand with a look of pity on his face, but says nothing more for a couple of minutes, obviously deep in thought.

"If you're looking for someone who spends a good amount of time in the lab, I would say your best bet of the three who were here before would be Eilid. She's probably as knowledgeable of Magic Theory as anyone in the Tribunal, and I hear that most of the enchanted items here are her creation. I don't know how much time she spends in the lab, anymore, but if I were in your situation I would start with her. She's Bjornaer, they tend to be fairly good at keeping secrets.

"Doineann has her lab out in the open air, and I would imagine it would be hard to keep a discreet bargain like you suggest a secret under those conditions. Drystan didn't even live in the Aegis until a year or two ago, so I don't know how much help he would be to you."

"Very well. I appreciate your insights. I'm willing to travel further afield, though. If you look me up before you return to Edinburgh, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to try and approach some of the elders, first. If I'm shot down, I'd like you to inquire discreetly further afield, on my behalf. I can add at least a magnitude to a magus's research efforts. I ask that you maintain confidentiality in these matters. I recognize I have no particular rights under the Code of Hermes, but I'm sure you can see the value as a business issue."

Douglas nods. "Of course. I think I can be here another two or three days, I will make it a point to speak with Eilid sometime today to see what she says, and get back to you."

"No need, I'll talk to the local magi, just get back in touch with me before you go, in the event I can't find an accord with any of the magi." Ysebrand thanks him for his efforts.