1222.2e Getting the Band Back Together

"You misunderstand. I am suggesting that we accuse Valerian of demonic possession based on his inability to pass the sanctum ward. I am not doubting the nature of the ward, I am saying that we should lie about it in order to force an inquiry."

[color=blue]"Oh, my," Fiona says with a smile as she fans herself theatrically.

[color=blue]"Too bad. It would have been nice to have another ally. Well, shall we go see if they have any ideas that don't involve us leaving the covenant?" Fiona gives Laetitia a sisterly hug as she turns back toward the council chamber.

There is a period of less fruitful discussion while Reynault remains silent, and resting. When Fiona and Laetitia return to the council chambers he addresses Viscaria's suggestion.

"Viscaria, you seek a path that affords you the opportunity to declare him a demon, or at least possessed by one? Let's assume that Valerian calls your bluff, and indeed, raises it to the next level, having every member of House Guernicus present attempt to cross the threshold. When all Guernicus present, including Laetitia, cannot cross the ward, he will strike; expect him to be prepared for such a ploy. Will you be ready for his counter? Your plan is to declare him a demon? What if he accepts casting Demon's Eternal Oblivion upon him while suppressing his Parma? What if he has an independent member, or even better someone nominally allied with Mons Electi or a member of Mons Electi, someone like Marcus or Laetitia, casts a spell to observe active magics to confirm that the spell was cast and was not resisted? What, they don't know the spell? Well, Proctor has a casting tablet of that spell handy, it's the spell used by the Dimcatio. What you need to understand is that Valerian is already ten steps ahead of you," when he says you he points at all the magi present. "And then he turns it around and accuses Apollodorus of diabolism, and you of supporting him and this becomes the issue of the Tribunal? Valerian was not prepared for being unable to enter Apollodorus' sanctum and all his energies will be focused in that direction."
As if the last took all of his energy Reynault is shaken by a several minute long couhging fit. Towards the end of which flecks of blood can be spied on his kerchief. When he recovers from the coughing fit, he continues, "Valerian will be prepared for public and direct confrontation and will do whatever he might to turn any accusation back on his accuser. Valerian's is remarkably gifted in this regard. Perhaps you don't recall, or know, but he was skulking around the regio last summer, he was ostensibly part of Murion's diplomatic party, an honor guard. When he was discovered and then subsequently confronted by Alexei, he deputized Alexei as a Hoplite of the Tribunal for the term of service with Murion's party as long as she was within the Normandy Tribunal. He knew the magus who would confront him, and he was prepared! Expect him to have made similar preparations for each of you." Reynault attempts to stand, but falls back into his chair. When he falls back into the chair an audible cracking or pop is heard.

As Reynault gives his analysis of the plan to have Valerian deemed a demon due to his inability to cross the threshold (and, by extension, every other member of Guernicus, including Laetitia), Fiona grows more and more incredulous.

When he has his last coughing jag, she rushes over to check on him. When he collapses into his chair, with the sickening crack, she checks on him again and tells whomever is listening to go get the doctor. (not that it will do much good)

Reynault is passed out cold, and it is likely, based on the timing of the sound, that he's broken his hip. His literally withering before everyone's eyes, and his previous estimate of a fortnight seems to be wishful thinking.

Enough people are brought to take him back to his quarters where he can rest as comfortably as he might.

Laetitia, can you remove his pain? I'm not very good at perdo. ((PeMe 15 Base 4, touch +1, +2 sun)) Or put him to sleep?

After Reynault has been taken to his room...

I think they will expect direct action and will be ready for it. That is why I think indirect action against them is the best for now. But we could try to think of some misdirection since they expect us to do something. Perhaps if we can think of some weak swat at them that they can just dismiss but will not come back to harm us. At best we will look like fools and hopefully they will underestimate us in the future.

I'm going to kick over the ant hill. You guys have 5 years. It is going to go pretty fast. Some sort of concerted and orchestrated plan for handling the details of the tribunal and the matters of House Guernicus.

Clue by four: there is no body.

L already gave her ideas for a plan, and folks were too busy saying how she should leave the covenant to respond to her idea :stuck_out_tongue:

She has her own plan, which she's going to carry out whether or not everyone else agrees with it (though at least Korvin seems to) because if she doesn't save her own neck, she won't live to see justice done.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend? It's a reasonable hypothesis. Age might be an issue.

1. Seek out Diedne and try to garner their support
  2. "Counterattack" Valerian with a very small show of force
  3. Pretend to be their patsy so they don't kill me

She knows what she is going to do, and has even spelled it out for the council. I'm not so sure that the rest of the magi know what they are going to do.

I will say this about option 2. The magi should all know the Code sufficiently well that such an attack would be considered a high crime. The back swing of the clue by four can suggest all kinds of possible problems with responding to Valerian's attack. If the players and the magi feel impotent by current events, that should be the case. One cannot unwind a vast conspiracy in a council session. However plans can be made.

I realize that we have a sword of Damocles over our heads now but there will be times when some of us are more at risk of capture than others. That being said, I know in 3 years I will travel as a Redcap with Abagail for a season. It is part of our training and my House tradition. At that time the risk to my capture will be greater so I will resign my membership to Mons Electi for that time. It will be safer for all of you if I do.

Korvin turns to the three Flambeau.

I would also recommend that if Lucius does not become Primus of Flamebeau, Alexei, Isen and Jacques might consider the option as well. Now hear me out. I think if a supporter of House Guernicus were to become Primus of your House you would be at a greater risk for capture than you are right now. Would any of you refuse a summons your Primus no matter who he was? What I had proposed is forming a new Covenant that is vassaled to Mons Electi. That way you would lose no privileges that you have now. This would only happen or need to happen if anyone is going to do something that would risk everyone else. And it does not have to be known until the next Tribunal. And then we could dissolve it and have everyone be members again when we think the risk has dropped.

I do not propose a vote on this. It is up to each Magus as he sees fit.

The following didn't happen, but illustrates a clue by four:

This was in response to Fiona's letter which was dated: (to be sent a couple of days after Apollodorus's death) Something she couldn't do for at least a week, not a couple of days, which lead to a discontinuity in the Mons Electi time continuum. Move along, nothing to see here.

((We haven't found the will, yet, have we?))

Laetitia has a copy.

Okay, I found where Reynault handed it to us. Still looking for something saying what was actually it in, though.

((So, actually, now that I look at it, Fiona couldn't have written the letter at the time she did. She was gone. Consider this another swing of the clue-by-four))

((Never did find anything saying what was in the will, so I would have not known about the provision not to mention or write of his death. Now that I do, I know that Fiona wouldn't have written...well, she would have written saying that she would like to discuss Ulrich's future, probably. But I am now even more butt-lost than I was before. I was thinking that the meeting was happening upon Fiona's return. But now, it's happening immediately after Apollodorus's death, while Fiona is Away?))

I'll move this to OOC. You wrote that letter and dated it a couple of days after Apollodorus death. To me, a couple is two. Fiona couldn't have written the letter to Tria when you indicated, or at least not sent it, because she was away. I responded as if she sent it a couple of days after his death, which is my mistake.

I'll post the will tonight in Apollodorus' RIP thread. Action in this thread had been relatively fast and then it slacked off, I expected someone to come back and revisit the will and reading it without my intervention. No matter, i'll put it up.

It may take longer, because I thought I had the will in my Dropbox folder, but I can't find it right now... :-/

Frak, I can't find the latest version to post. I altered it to include Ulrich.

Highlights:
Leaves the book to the magi of Mons Electi to share as they wish, it is not for Tremere. It's Q25L35 Summa, written in Greek simply entitled Control. He cautions users of the book to have the ability to cast 2nd magnitude rego spells of any form before trying to read the book, as there may be an unintended side effect.
His lab texts are in his lab and are to be added to the library upon his death. There are a few rituals normally associated with House Mercere. Additionally, there are several Aegis of the Heart rituals 10th, 15th and 20th magnitude, which are sized for Mons Electi, and standard sized. The one sized for Mons Electi are at 7th, 12th and 17th magnitudes of effectiveness. The lab texts are in Latin. There are other lab texts, but he doesn't list them separately.