1222.2e: Three Hour Tour

((So, no ginger jokes, then, huh?))

No.

The closest to the castle is the narrow one. If it helps, I put the castle on the Covenant Locator map. If you have it on Satellite view, that would give you a pretty good idea of the beach-age situation.

There are a couple of narrow trails through the woods, wide enough to walk single-file without getting caught up in the branches. It's not a straight line, but it's not real windy either. As you pass through the woods, you can hear occasional faint noises in the underbrush, like small animals scampering off. It takes about four or five minutes to reach the clearing.

As you approach the clearing, you can see that the two-story castle takes up most of the clearing, with about twenty or thirty feet from the castle walls to the nearest trees.

When the party enters the clearing, two things happen. One: a voice from the top of the castle wall calls out (in Gaelic) to stop and identify yourselves. Two: Talia can tell that she just crossed an Aegis boundary. ((Also, Talia – make a Perception check.))

Straight perception check is: die roll of 2 + Per 3=5. Talia also has an awareness of 2.
She'll identify herself in Latin, "I'm Talia filia of Erimas a Maga of the Order. I apologize for crossing an Aegis boundary without permission, had it been better marked, I would not have done so. May I inquire what covenant is this?"

Caoimhe calls out in Gaelic, "Hail the gates. I am Eireann Ua Briain, and I'm here with Talia O'Tytalus, a scholar of Hermes and ambassador from Eilean Chon."

((Did you mean Eilean Chon, or Insula Canaria?))

Upon hearing Talia and [strike]Caoimhe[/strike] Eireann speak, the guard on the castle walls turns and says something to someone below and behind him. He then turns and calls back in Gaelic, "Wait there, one of the magi will be out soon."

Several minutes pass before the gate opens and a beautiful woman, with very long blonde hair and dressed in very fine clothing, comes out. "I do apologize for this," she says in Latin. "If we had known you were coming, we would have prepared a proper welcome. I am Maga Godiva of Jerbiton, autocrat of Orientali Litore." ((btw, she has Gentle Gift))

"Well, the fault is ours, of course. Had I been a bit more observant, I would've recognized the Aegis before I crossed it. When I spied the castle the other day I had presumed the castle was of fae origin, after having researched some of the geographical features of the loch. It is why I came back to investigate, as sights like these seem to draw me out." Talia does seem a tad disappointed, not about the close proximity of another covenant, but the fact that it wasn't a site of power calling to her Seeker personality flaw.

"What can you tell me of Orientali Litore?" Talia smiles, trying to get the focus of conversation back onto Godiva. She also goes through her memory for any mention of a Godiva of Jerbiton. Total roll is 4 on a non botching 0.

(Did she have any reason to suspect this was another covenant? If so, she would have said Insula Canaria. If she didn't expect other magi, she would have said Eilean Chon.)

Eireann curtsies appropriately. "We apologize for our unannounced arrival, but of course even if we had known this was a Hermetic covenant, the pleasure of making your acquaintance would easily drive us to commit such a social infraction as we have made unwittingly." (16 Charm.)

((Godiva doesn't ring a bell.))

"Won't you and your...servant? come inside and we can talk over some chilled wine." She walks next to Talia, talking as she goes.

"We're, unofficially, a Dedicated Covenant to try to determine why the Magic Aura on the lake is so large. There's no dearth of areas with strong Magic in the world, of course, but it's quite uncommon to find one that's so large, outside of a regio. Actius thinks that it might have something to do with the monster, but reports on it are all but nonexistent.

"We would have sent our greetings...but to be honest, we had heard rumours that the covenant had been disbanded."

As you enter the courtyard of the castle, you can see that it's laid out in a pentagram, with a tower at each corner.

"We actually just founded the covenant a few months ago, and were able to hire a Bonisagus from Hibernia to erect the castle for us."

There are very few people around. One guard on each wall, and a handful of people moving around.

((Talia notices that Godiva's shadow doesn't quite match what it should be. The Jerbiton is wearing a snug bodice, heavily bejeweled, with billowy sleeves and a long skirt. But not her shadow.))

((No, she didn't...just checking.))

Godiva beams, obviously impressed that (a) Eireann speaks Latin and (b) she seems to have better manners than 99% of the people she knows.

"I know it's still early, but would you like to stay for lunch, so we can discuss things and clear up any further misunderstandings before they arise?"

"I'd be delighted to stay for lunch. If I may inquire, who is your sponsor?"

"As I said, we're unofficially Dedicated, so we don't have a sponsor. We simply gathered for our own individual purposes. For myself, I grew tired of painting portraits for people who have no idea what they look like, so I decided to come here and expand into landscapes while trying to bring a modicum of culture and civilization to this...barbaric wilderness."

((Both make a Per + Folk Ken, please.))

Total of die +Per + Folk Ken is 9.

"And who are we, if I may? Can we expect to luncheon with the others?"

"I meant no offense, sodalis. I can tell by your accent that you are not Caledonian, but surely you can see that the...locals, for lack of a better word, lack the sophistication that one would find elsewhere in the Order.

"I believe Actius will be easily persuaded, Robin if he's not out in the woods. Demios...he doesn't like to mingle, I'm afraid." For a moment, it looks like she's going to say more, but doesn't.

"If you will excuse me for just a minute." She goes through a door in the wall, and quickly returns, trailed by a young nervous-looking girl who dashes toward one of the towers.

"My apologies if I appeared offended, I am not. And as to how people are, I find that they are generally the same wherever I go. Driven by their appetites, whether they know it or not."

Folk Ken check is 7.
(I don't have Folk Ken on my character sheet... and I know I took it :confused: I must have deleted it accidentally. Sigh. It is a poor con artist who can't read their mark.)

Caoimhe is checking out the place to see if there's anything she wants to come back for later. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3527203/+3Awareness... guessing she doesn't notice anything :frowning:
(Not a botch)

"The essence of people is the same the world over," Godiva says. "But do we not have an obligation to bring out the best, even if it's just within ourselves? Whether it's Hermetically, through our studies and practice of the Arts and the various aspects of magic, or materially by striving for a better life for ourselves, or mentally by exposing ourselves to and embracing the arts in all their various forms?"

The little girl returns from her errands. Godiva bends to listen to the girl's whispers, then nods and whispers something back, after which the girl disappears into one of the rooms.

"Unfortunately, it seems that only Actius will be able to join us for lunch, and even then not until noon. Would you like to rest here until then, or would you prefer to return?"

((From what Eireann can see, there's not a whole lot of...stuff here. Granted, all she's seen so far is the courtyard, but the only things she's see so far that's even remotely...redistributable are the jewels on Godiva's gown. Unless she knows a way to pocket stone benches.))

Sure, why not, I'm a compulsive risk-taker. And anyway Caoimhe is sore that she flirted with the hot Jerbiton, who did not flirt back. She'll try to pocket whichever gem looks the most valuable.

2*6=12+4 Sleight of Hand+2Qik+3 Light Touch=21. What did I get? :stuck_out_tongue:

How old does Godiva appear? Did there appear to be a familial relation between Godiva and the girl?
"What shall we chat about until then? The weather? Our Arts? Your art? Our children?"

((Hot Jerbiton? You mean the Godiva chick?))

((Also, which part of the gown is she going to try to nick the gems from?))

"The weather is boring, much like the weather in England. We can discuss art and arts. I do have some paintings set up in my gallery, if you would like to see."

((Godiva appears to be in her early twenties or so. Doesn't look like her and the girl are kin.))