1222.3 Race for the Pennant

((Vice princeps will take over for a month.))

((In light of my brainfart the size of Krakatoa, Wen is the only one of mine going...in part because of her parents' giving her an ultimatum of "Find someone to marry or we will find someone for you, and since nobody has seemed willing to marry you yet it might be someone desperate." So she might be on the lookout for a kindred spirit, here, too.))

IIRC, the vice precept is the one that came before. Looking at our cool new wiki list of precepts ( thanks!!) Fieltarn would be vice Precepts but because he is gone then Jormungand....but he is gone as well so we go back to Korvin who flips Jacques the bird. So we move forward to Onesiphorus ( who is like Bernie from Weekend at Bernies)) who Jacques can just put in the chair and then run for it.

Yes, Vice would be the one who came before, but if you're Princeps in summer, that's either a mistake, or you swapped with Onesiphorus, which would make him Vice. I'm inclined to call it a swap and move on, either way Onesiphorus is it.

On a travel related note, someone on the Berklist posted a neato map of the Roman empire and one can pick origins and destinations and calculate travel times. I calculated travel times from Augustodunum, which is the Latin name for Autun to Caesaraugusta, which is close enough to Castra Solis. Shortest travel time involves heading straight south, and catching ship. Wizards on a ship, unless you own it is very difficult, or have some means of convincing them. That travel time is 20.5 days. So, I calculated the overland route and it's 33 days. Note, traveling mounted does not make you go any faster, it just means you don't have long term fatigue at the end of any particular day of travel, and don't accumulate it as quickly when you travel for long periods. So your best travel time is a month, given present circumstances.

Since Brionne is among the grogs Alexei takes, Isen will be alone, sitting quietly until the band departs.

Isen's eyes narrow
For you do, I presume? Please, entertain us, then.

"More than the three of you combined, obviously. I've already told you exactly why this is folly; if your verbal conprehension is as poor as your tactical foresight, there's nothing I can do about that.

"Now. If your wounded pride demands that you follow through with this insanity anyway, I won't cry over your graves. But I tell you this-- if the magi escape from a Guernicus ambush while all the grogs you're bringing perish? None of the turb will ever trust any of you to lead them in battle again. And none of the magi here will trust you with our military resources either.

"If you don't believe me, then take a lesson from history. House Diedne would not have been expelled if the Ex Miscellanea primus had not inexplicably vanished while travelling overland to Tribunal, carrying a great number of votes with him. What do you think happened to him? And who do killed Apollodorus? Use your heads for something other than helmet racks."

So, are you going to transport me to the tournament?

"Ermm...maybe traveling with them might not be such a good idea, then," Wen says.

She watches the exchange, not understanding a word, and finally says to Glaukopis, "I hope I don't get like that when I'm pregnant."

Alexei actually jumps when he sees the owl speaking. "I-I'm terribly sorry." his cheeks flushing. "I thought it was one of the men speaking. Not one of Laetitia's...esteemed. Of course I remember you..."

At that point he is assaulted by Laetitia and her verbal harangue. Initially he raises his guard as he's been jumpy of late, then he takes on an amused smile, which slowly changes to someone who has found the joke...not so funny. Memories of their discussion in Greece come back quickly. His demeanor becomes frosty as he allows her to continue, too much the gentleman to interrupt until finally he can stand no more.

"Am I to be a coward then!" he snarls. "Apollodorus is slain, my Primus is assasinated, and you would have me hide behind your skirts?! I am a warrior. We" he gestures to the men and especially Isen and Jacques. "We our warriors. I am a member of the Milites! I will not send my vote for Primus by messenger! I will boldly go forth and deliver it as well as my impassioned speeches, and the butt of my staff to any who would silence me or try to stop me! I know you..." he levels a finger at Laetitia. "You look upon me with contempt, thinking me boorish and foolhardy, that my bravery outweighs my intellect! Well know this! There are many who thought they were smarter than me, better than me, who were roundly defeated by me! Ask the Tremere at the joust last Tribunal! He sought to kill me! And look where he is now! I do not fear Valerian, it is he who should fear me! He would not dare to assault me on the road and if he should it would be his last mistake!" he takes a shuddering breath as he struggles for control for several moments. He finally runs a hand through his hair and smiles at Laetitia before taking a knee before her.

"My lady...please, accept my apologies. You speak from your heart and your head. Your fears and concerns are not falling on deaf ears, I am no fool and I am not comitting suicide. But if I were not to do this, what then? How will I face those in my House? How will they be rallied? Letters only do so much. My House, if it is to make a difference, requires my presence. I will show the House and the order and those bastards that engineered this, that I am not afraid. Boldness is not weakness, though cowards and schemers think it so. And if I should die...well, that's three deaths that will have to be explained. Each death makes that harder and harder. They cannot hold all the reigns and not expect a horse or two to slip them. Come my dear." he says as he stands up. "We must leave. But we shall return and with success. Have faith." he reaches for her hand to kiss it.

She throws her arms around Alexei's neck. "I know you must go, and I admire your devotion to your House and to justice. I just don't want you to go over land, with such a large party as to move slowly and draw much attention to yourselves. We are all being watched by the Inner Circle, and they will not be able to pass up the opportunity to ambush you." She releases him and wipes her eyes on a kerchief. "You won the tournament, but a tourney has rules, codes of conduct which are followed. We are at war, and our enemies will show no such restraint. Go, but go carefully. Just the three of you will travel faster and draw far less attention than the army you've assembled. Take my bridle; the activation phrase is "My kingdom for a horse." You can ride the horses to exhaustion and simply summon a fresh mount. Travel swiftly and subtly to ((whatever the port's name is, I forgot)) and book passage by ship. It saves you time, and drastically lowers the chances you'll draw Valerian's attention." She takes a lace-fringed purple silk kerchief from her bustier and ties it around Alexei's arm. "I'm sorry I overreacted, Alexei, it's just-- I feared you wanted him to kill you. Please Alexei, please indulge my woman's worry?"

Alexei smiles and kisses her hand again. "My thanks m'lady. And no, the plan was not to go the entire way by horse, but the most expeditious still. I can get there even faster, I always could, I have a token. But my place was here. But now that we're ready we shall go boldly to inspire our allies, to convince those unsure, and to shake the confidence of our enemies. I am not going to seek Valerian's head. That is not my purpose, but if he is foolish enough to set himself on our path, I shall not fear him nor avoid him. It is he who should avoid us. Come. We have to leave, wish us well. And thank you for this boon." he says as he holds up the bridle.

Tristan arrives at Mons Elect, unannounced, two months before Autumn Equinox. Several of his men are wounded, and sever horses are riderless. The gate guard sends a runner for Alexei when Tristan indicates he's Alexei's pater.

Alexei's earlier outburst is forgotten as he smiles at Laetitia, knowing exactly why she's out of sorts. He seems about to speak again when the runner arrives frantically trying to get his attention. ((I assume this is happening at the same time?))

"Catch your breath man, what's wrong?" ask Alexei, annoyed at the interruption.

"Imperator! There is a man here, he says he is your Master, Tristan! Several in his group are wounded!"

Alexei's expression turns ashen. He steps forward as the color returns to his face and he grabs the man by the arms. "He's from Tristan or he is Tristan?!"

"He said he is Tristan!" he gasps.

"Bring him in at once! Men! On the walls and watch, now!" he commands the guards nearby, then Alexei disappears and reappears at the gate, apparently forgetting he had just ordered the guard to return to it. ((Not too much of a stretch that he has an AC for the Gate))

((Not a stretch at all.))
"Alexei, filius, it is good to see you, under unfortunate circumstances it seems. I'd hoped to surprise you and ask for hospitality." He seems a bit relieved to be somewhere safe. "We were attacked on the other side of Autun, about two days away. We rode day and night to get here after we drove them off, at great cost."

Alexei remains guarded as he approaches with caution, keeping his staff at the ready as he surveys Tristan and the men he has with him. "Forgive my suspicions, but we have suffered attacks of late ourselves. Tristan, what were the words you shared with me when I passed the Gauntlet and graduated from your tutelage?"

"And the Fortress is Truth!" he pauses, as if trying to remember, "And the LAST Fortress is Truth." He looks around, "What the deuce have you gotten yourself into, Alexei, you think we were attacked because of whatever you're into?"

Alexei heaves a very relieved sigh as loads of tension release. "I'm sorry my Master." he says and bows deeply before embracing him and kissing him on either cheek. "Yes, I feared the worst actually. But come, come inside. Are you hurt? We'll take care of your men and horses."

Alexei can see that two men are tied to the saddle and in bad shape. Another has a nasty gash to his arm and it hangs limply at his side. The others who are injured have light wounds.

(I dunno if I should post this, given all that the two of you posted since, yet it is important nonetheless, and helps to assert Isen as a character, so here it is. Feel free to ignore it, as everything ends with Alexei's gesture towards Laetitia, and her open-hearted confession)

Isen replies, his first paragraph being quite harsh, the following in a more normal, yet at times moquing, and always dangerous, tone.

Okay, lady. I may understand that you'd be angered by the fact that we may disagree with your superior wisdom. That being said, I'd advise you to use said wisdom, and watch your tone when adressing fellow magi, or I'll certamen you into it.

That being said, you may remember that we agreed that we needed to act as if we were ignorant of Appolodorus doings, to avoid provoking Valerian's suspicions and ire. We agreed that, should be chose so, it could crush us even here, in our own covenant.
One of the ways to do that is to act as we should act, and not as if we suspected some treachery from him.

The Flambeau primus is dead, killed by unknown assaillants. Another one must be elected. So we're just random flambeau, doing what a host of other flambeau will do: Traveling with their grogs to Castra Solis, in order to lend their support to their chosen candidate.

Tell me, then, oh great laetitia scholae guernici.
How is acting like any other flambeau attracting valerian's attention? Should we hole up in our covenant and refrain from voting? Would this seem more normal to Valerian and his accomplices?
Your great tactical mind seems to have a problem with us traveling with grogs. May I remind you that, not only is this quite customary for flambeau, but it is a sensible behaviour for traveling magi whose primus was murdered?

Nonetheless, in a spirit of appeasement, I am willing to travel alone and by foot to Castra Solis, should this spare us further hysterics

Laetitia's reaction ease up Isen somewhat, although he is still uncomfortable about her words.

But he understands that she fears for the man she loves. So, in a more gentle tone

Or maybe they will.
They'll only strike if they think us a menace, or that they can get away with it.
Which is why we must act as we do.

Isen will have followed Alexei through the same means, for the same reasons.

Looking at Tristan
Salve sodales. Isen Flambonis.
What happened here? Who dared to attack you? And how come they managed to land so severe a blow?

((it doesn't make sense for you to pretend to act normal for Valerian. He knows Apollodorus is dead, after all. He killed him! No the idea should be to act as if Apollodorus isn't dead for everyone else. It isn't as if Valian is in a position to come and prove it...yet. At this point it has been extremely well communicated that distance travel is I'll-advised. Your enemy doesn't have to kill you, merely delay you. If you can't arrive in time to vote for a new Primus and your votes would have been decisive, well you have utterly failed your primary objective. If he manages to kill one of you, that's just gravy. Keep in mind Ars combat is extremely dangerous, and it is irresponsible for magi to think that the wounds can be easily healed. Traps have been laid by the time you depart, your characters can reasonably suspect this. Spring the traps at your own risk.))