1223.3: A Giant Problem (Trimalchio)

The giants notice Talia's witchy ways. The biggest one, without taking his eyes off of her, says, "Go get Sloane." One of the others quickly dashes to the main group of giants.

"Winter is coming," one says with a shrug. "Wood for shelter and fires, and food. Why else would we be here."

Darkwing listens to Paolo's translation, ponders a moment, and then answers.

"Paolo, ask them how they're planning to eat this winter. Tell them that this farmland still belongs to those with magical power, and we wish to make sure any newcomers respect our land."

((We can assume that Paolo is faithfully translating the conversation for all the participants.))

The giant merely shrugs. "Talk to Sloane. All I know is we won't starve this winter."

The giant who left returns with another giant who is even bigger and uglier than the others. The big one (Sloane) looks over Trimalchio and Paolo with bloodshot eyes.

"What do you want?" he says.

((bump))

((Going once...going twice...? I'm resolving this thread Saturday the 12th if nothing happens by then.))

Talia, sensing Trimalchio's twilight episode, "So, you're hungry. Why's that? A big strong specimen such as yourself should be able to get anything he wants..." She's continuing to do witchy fire stuff.

[color=red]"Not hungry yet," Sloane says. [color=red]"But this is the first year Mac Ossian hasn't been around. They always camp around here somewhere. So we're going to camp here this winter so we can eat and drink."

He eyes Talia warily. [color=red]"We know Mac Ossian's witch isn't here anymore. It would be easier if we had a witch of our own, in case they came back."

((Are these covenant lands?))
Paolo's Insula Canaria Area Lore (no specialty) check is: 13.

"I serve no one but myself. Well, myself and occasionally my covenant requires service to my fellow magi and magae." She smiles a bit, with some effort. "Perhaps you presume too much. It is more likely that these are our lands, and that Mac Ossian was here because the covenant invited them to be here because of their witch. To my knowledge we have not rescinded that invitation. So... Your incursion into this area might seem provocative to two parties. My covenant, and Mac Ossian." Talia's watching Paolo for signs that her gambit is paying off, that what she's saying backed up by facts he knows about the covenant. "Maybe you're about to be caught in a trap?" We'll try a bluffing leadership/intimidation roll for her...exploder, exploding die of 7, total of 14+1+2=17.

((Yes, they are. They're basically trying to occupy one of the covenant's pastures that Insula Canaria tend her sheep in.))

Sloane looks at his hench-giants, trying not to look worried (and failing). [color=red]"I don't think so," he says, with no real conviction in his voice.

"Winter is coming. And I'm sure you have supplies to get through the winter, although you might have to be frugal. I'm sure you can appreciate putting your clan at risk. I'm actually one of the weaker magae here."

Can Talia see the tents of the camp? IF so, she casts Creeping Oil on the largest tent...Botch check of 5. IF penetration is necessary her CT is 26+Aura-15lvls=(11+Aura)/2, due to Weak Magic.

"I'll fire your camp, though. And you might beat me to a pulp, as a response, but I'll have destroyed your clan's chances of surviving the winter."
I did a secondary leadership check for a total of 5. But, I'm not really threatening, I'm promising.

((Creeping Oil is Voice range, not Sight. The tents are within range for Loud words but not Firm, e.g. between 15 and 50 paces. So, her CT should be, I think, Sta 2 + Cr 16 + Aq 2 + Loud Words 1 + Die roll of 5 = 26. There's a variation in Words, so the Method Caster doesn't kick in and the canvas isn't magic, so no Penetration is needed.))

Sloane looks back at the tent, and the spreading oil stain on it, then looks back at Talia. [color=red]"What do you want?"

((Gave up Method Caster Adept Laboratory Student.))

"To leave and never return? The giant witch of whom you speak, Fiona, right?" She says looking at Sloane, "I hear she's going to be coming back next year for the gathering of all of the magi. I'll be sure to extend your regards to her, let her know of our conversation. She might of course decide to take things personally." Another leadership check of 8.
"So, what's it going to be?" Talia plays with some more fire...

Trimalchio still can't think of anything worthwhile to add to the conversation, speaking with giants not being a usual pastime for him. He decides to try using magic...then realises he has exactly one formulaic option, so decides to spontaneously cast.

He tries for a PeTe (15 Pe, 6 Te, + aura + a die roll - aiming for a base 2 "Weaken dirt", +2 voice range, duration momentary to soften the earth a few paces in front of him to make a trap for any charging giants. Size will be from +1 to +3 magnitudes depending on whether my final casting total after dividing by 2 can make a 5, 10 or 15 level spell.)

What are we doing for dice now the invisible castle doesnt' work?

((Invisible castle is working. It failed for 24-48 hours because they forgot to renew their DNS.))

((If Invisible Castle goes down again, there's also the Unseen Servant.))

Sloane looks over at his clan's tents, especially the one with the spreading oil stain, and back at Talia. He plainly looks unhappy, his hands flexing at his sides.

He finally looks directly at Talia. [color=red]"We would camp here for the winter," he says quietly, [color=red]"then be on our way come spring. We would not take what is yours, but will gladly share your generosity. If you want, we will help protect your lands and your property."

Despite the words, his tone is almost conciliatory, the voice of one who knows he's been beat but doesn't want that fact to go any further.

((Would that be Perdo or Muto Terram? Looking at the guidelines, I'm thinking more Muto.))

(I am blatantly clutching straws trying to come up with a strategy that uses perdo. Certainly Muto allows you to soften earth and change its properties in a huge number of ways, but I haven't read the Muto summa yet. Perdo Terram SAYS you can "Weaken dirt" as a base 2 guideline, but while "weaken stone" and "weaken metal" are easy to visualise in their effect, I'm not sure what "weaken dirt" actually DOES. I'm trying it in the hope I can do something useful).

((I'm not sure what Talia knows about Trimalchio, but her strategy is more about coming at them from the side. What I, as the player, know about the character, though, suggests several plays for him, especially if negotiations become aggressive.))

Through Paolo's translation, Talia continues to probe, "Tell me of the differences that divide you and Mac Ossian. Before you were scared of "their witch" to use your term. But what is the source of your rivalry with that clan?"

[color=red]"They're not Mac Fingal," Sloane says, sounding as though that were all the difference in the world.