1223.4 Don't Forget the Blacksmith of Brandywine

((InVi 15...her total would be 3+5+6+10=24, she'd need a 6 on the die to pull it off. Maybe...))

((I was wondering about that.))

Sure, why not? Int 1 + Magic Theory 6 + die roll of 2 = 9. Lovely.

This is unlike a typical Wind of Mundane Silence.
And Marcus said, the Rego Corpus effect is inside the Perdo Vim effect... The room/cell that the pair were in was roughly circular, now that Fiona stops to think about it.

Okay, so, looking back through the posts, there's apparently a Room Perdo Vim, and a Circle Rego Corpus. If the room is circular, than they probably drew a circle along the bottom of the room?

So, if we can break the circle, that should end the Rego Corpus. Does that sound right?

As to the Perdo Vim...we can try Unraveling the Fabric of Vim, but I doubt that's got much chance. Does a T: Room spell still work if the room's not there anymore?

Hypothetically... how are you going to destroy the room? IF the room isn't there and the Target is Room, it ceases to become a valid target.

I doubt we'll be able to, especially since we're so far underground. I'm just throwing stuff out, because I still feel incredibly stupid and have next to no idea what to do. It just feels like there's no solution, even though I know that's not the case – I 'm just not seeing it.

Somehow, we have to get these two guys, who are bound by magical and immaculate chains to the wall. We have no tools to cut the chains. We don't have magic powerful enough to break or transform the chains. In fact, any magic we try stands a very good chance of being stopped by the PeVi effect on the room.

Furthermore, there is a Circle ReCo in the room, which is presumably keeping them in place. It's not completely paralyzing them, because they're able to speak. Looking at the ReCo guidelines, it looks like it's a Level 25 spell (Base 5, "Hold a target's body motionless", R: Voice (+2), D: Ring (+2), T: Circle. Waaaait...if the ReCo is more powerful than the PeVi, than the PeVi can't be more than Level 20, right? (except it's probably not quite Hermetic). So, if we can do something about the circle, then that will do away with the ReCo. And, since we think we know what level the ReCo is, then theoretically any spell we cast that's higher than that should work. Such as the Raven's Wing, which is Level 35. The reduce-their-size spell was only Level 15.

Am I finally on the right track, or should I find another head to bang my wall against?

"If we destroy a stone wall of a room, is it still a valid room?" Marcus asks quietly. "I can reliably cast 2nd magnitude Perdo Terram spells with some effort. I could try and move stone blocks of the wall out using 3rd magnitude effects... "

((My first reaction when reading this was hearing Jean-Luc Picard saying "Make it so."))

[color=blue]"Worth a shot. I think, here, I can do about a second magnitude Rego or Perdo Terram as well, if you want me to help."

Marcus and Fiona both set about trying to destroy parts of the stone wall. They start on either side of the door, at the bottom.
Fiona's spell is effective, not quite a botch. However, the effect doesn't remove very much rock. Enough rock is removed on both sides to reveal a band of gold. Marcus targets the threshold coverstone, and the gold band is there, as well."Ahh, there it is."

[color=blue]"Excellent. Shouldn't be that hard to disrupt the circle."

Fiona can cast a Touch-range MuTe(Au) to turn part of the gold band into air for a moment. Base 3 to turn stone into a gas or liquid, +2 magnitudes for metal or gemstones, R: Touch (+1), D: Diameter (+1), T: Part (+1), for a final Target Level of 20. Her Casting Score is Mu 17 + Te/Au 5 + Sta 3 + Aura 10 = 35 + die roll, halved. First attempt is 35 + die roll of 3 = 38, for a Casting Total of 19. Missed it by that much.

Second try is a a roll of 0; botch check comes up negative (a 4), so 35 halved is 18.

Fiona swears softly in Gaelic. [color=blue]"Care to have a go, Marcus?"

"Chances are I'd have the same luck as you, as we judge ourselves to have comparable capabilities." Marcus pulls a knife out of his belt and digs at the band of gold. "It's soft like pure gold. One of the giant sized swords would make quick work of this ring. Break it and the Perdo Vim Effect is broken."

Fiona facepalms. [color=blue]"I'm an idiot. One of these days, I'm going to learn to not think that if magic can't do it, it can't be done."

She then grabs one of the giant swords and starts to work on the band as well.

The giant sword does go slightly across the boundary and is shrunk back to size, but it still makes quick work of breaking the ring. (One giant grog has a pitifully tiny sword and will have a -3 penalty in combat.)

Marcus works a quick InVi spell and confirms, "It's down, now." No sooner does Marcus say that, and one of the two destroys the chains that bind him with what seems to be a spell consistent with Hermetic Magic Theory, but the cadence is off, almost antiquated.
He tries to depart the cell but is rebuffed at the border and is knocked down as if hitting an invisible barrier. He turns to his fellow prisoner and destorys his chains, saying "Your corpus resistance is more robust than mine, give it a try." and you see him perform the Parma Magica ritual and then try and cross the ward boundary. He, too, is unable to cross.

"How about that?" Marcus says in disbelief.

[color=blue]"Maybe if they were a little bigger?" Fiona says to Marcus.

[color=blue]"I have an idea that I'm pretty sure will get you through the boundary unharmed, but it requires me to cast a spell on you and touch you," she calls to the prisoners.

To Fiona, "You were unaffected by the ward, and it makes sense if giants bring them food and water on occasion, it may have been a calculated design by their captors. They did put some work into this multi layered containment system." to them he says, "You will be naked after this, we'll have to try and find you some suitable clothes or you'll need to go without clothes."

They shrug their shoulders and the one who's been doing most of the talking says, "Sure, worth a shot. We can suppress our Parma.

Fiona reaches across the doorway as she casts Preternatural Growth and Shrinking. Her CT is 48, and she's not going to do any silent/still casting. Just straight formulaic. So, 48 + die roll of 7 = 55 + Aura,vs. a spell level of 15. Her Penetration is 4, so we're looking at a Penetration of 44 + Aura. ((I'm thinking supressing the Parma wouldn't have been necessary :smiley: ))

((You'd be surprised.))
"What covenant are you from? Fudarus, Confluensis, Sinapis, one of their vassals, perhaps?"

[color=blue]"None of the above," Fiona says as she stands aside to let the now-near-giant presumably-a-magus pass by, checking him out as he does. She motions the other over to cast her spell again.

[color=blue]"We're from the covenant of Mons Electi. It's fairly new, just founded three or four years ago, in the year of our Lord 1220, with no liege."

She casts her spell on the second prisoner as she watches them for their reaction to this news. CT 48 + die roll of 4 = 52 + Aura, and a Penetration of 41 + Aura.

"1220? That's over 200 years! That's impossible, my longevity ritual could nave have sustained me for so long. I cannot believe it." He seems rather shaken.

While Fiona debriefs the prisoners, Marcus begins destroying the rest of the cell, and uncovers the total ring of gold, along with a ring of lead on the interior, "That's a lot of gold."

[color=blue]"You're in either a regio or the Realm of Magic itself," Fiona say sympathetically, [color=blue]"we're reasonably certain it's the latter; time flows differently, much slower here than in the mundane world."

[color=blue]"Yes, it is. Wonder if it would be worth it to take it with us?"

Then, as she notes the lead circle, she asks, [color=blue]"Think that circle is linked to the Corpus ward?"

"What of the war? Our captors had suggested that their allies were victorious and the Order was no more."

"I'd say that it is the circle Corpus ward. I'm loathe to test it out, I have a feeling I'll be trapped on the other side and unable to affect the ring. However, you are unaffected and can damage the ring with impunity, well anyone else can, beside me, anyway. I'll make a channel and then melt the gold into rough ingots. I can heat it and cool it quickly, shouldn't take very long. And they need clothes, anyway. Oh, and from the bodies up stares...we should, umm, recover the vis."