1223.4 Don't Forget the Blacksmith of Brandywine

Let's see. Fiona speak Gaelic 5 (native), Latin 5, and French 2.

Wilhelm speaks German 5 (native), French 3, and Latin 3.

I'm assuming that the grogs speak French 5 (native), and maybe Latin 2, if Alexei has been giving them Exposure in Latin or something.

Fsck it.
Just because I feel like it, Glaukopis is with you guys, too. He's annoyed with his mistress, and you Mons Electi is probably a bit safer than other covenants. Got a problem with this? If so, we need to roll with something/someone having the Gift of Tongues, as I had effectively established that these giants speak an ancient Celtic dialect. My willingness to modify the story goes only so far... :smiley:

The party makes their way through the countryside, this time they don't encounter anyone. The road comes up against a ridge and they can see a valley below them and off in the distance some small mountains/large hills. Nestled into the hillside is a large structure, difficult to make out a lot of detail, but it definitely looks to be built rather than natural. There is some smoke or haze that is hanging in the valley. Guessing, it will take about a full day (8 hours or so) to get to the structure. It's about noon when the party arrives on the ridge line.

Gee, I wonder why :smiley: .

Fiona and Wilhelm both look over the valley and the hills facing them. Fiona looks at Wilhelm. [color=blue]"Do you think there's any safe place to make camp down there before nightfall, or should we pitch camp here and try to make it tomorrow?"

Fiona is looking at an Awareness roll of Per 0 + Awareness 3 + die roll of 9 = 12, and a Survival roll of (I'm guessing) Per* 0 + Survival 2 + die roll of 2 = 4.

Wilhelm is looking at an Awareness roll of Per 2 + Keen Vision 3 + Awareness 3 + die roll of 9 = 17, and a Survival roll of Per 2 + Survival 6 + die roll of 6 = 14.

She also asks Glaukopis to take a look around to see if he sees anything.

• I'm thinking Perception because, according to the description on p. 18, Perception is "the ability to notice things, as well as powers of intuition," and Intelligence says that "common sense, street savvy, and wisdom are not described by Intelligence." And it's definitely not any of the physical or social Characteristics.

It's gambler's choice, as long as you don't setup camp immediately on the ridge line.

Yeah, my inclination is to set up camp here, but back a little bit to where we're just on the other side of the ridge from them, and get some rest.

I'm thinking set up the mortals in single duty watches (we have, I think, three: Fiona and Marcus's shield grogs, and Wilhelm. Fiona's willing to take a watch if the mortals aren't willing to take four-hour shifts instead of three, but would rather not. (For his part, Wilhelm's like, whatever, you're the magi.)

Camp is made and the night passes without any incident. In the morning, at first light, just before you begin the descent into the valley one can see about 5 giants making their way from the right and heading towards the structure. Waiting to observe them they all go inside.

[color=blue]"Well, on the one hand, that's five that we won't come across somewhere else," Fiona grumbles. [color=blue]"On the other hand, I'm curious as to why they all went in there. Is it simply a base camp, is there a portal to somewhere else, or could we so lucky as to find our wayward sodalis."

She looks at Glaukopis. [color=blue]"Do you think you can safely get a look through the windows to see what's going on in there?"

"I'm not exactly stealthy in this form." Glaukopis says cautiously.
Marcus chimes in and says, "Perhaps sending Glaukopis is incautious, as he is the only way we can communicate, and while he might be able to talk is way out of something, if he can't, we're without a pretty important ability."

((I'm just thinking sending the only one you have available to communicate to scout, and he's not built for scouting. I think I had established we had transformed him into a giant based on the last time, too. If he isn't a giant and is still an owl, then he can fly off and do some scouting.))

((It's okay, for some reason I was thinking he was an owl. Giant works. In which case, nevermind.))

Fiona looks around at the other. Finally, she nods at Wilhelm. [color=blue]"Do you think you can get close enough to the building to peek through the window, get a quick feel for the situation, then get back to us without being seen?"

Wilhelm looks over the situation. ((He has Dex +2 and Stealth 2, with a specialization of "in natural areas." He also has Ways of the Forest, which doesn't seem to apply here, as well as Keen Vision and Sharp Ears. Unfortunately, he also has Anchored to the Forest, which would seem to add a -3 penalty to all actions not in the forest or wooded area. All that being said, does he think he can pull it off? All that gives him a net +1 or +2 if it's a "natural area", whereas Fiona as a net +2 with Stealth.))

Incomplete descriptions, I suck.

The valley is forested up to a stream/river. The other side looks as if it might have been recently cleared forest. Most of the reconnoiter can be done from the cover of the forest.

((Two Stealth rolls to get there, a Visual and Hearing Awareness roll there to see/hear what's going on, then two more Stealths to make it back?))

Sounds good. It will be modified by sheer size...

All righty, then. (He will have his bow strung and out, just in case)

Stealth rolls to get to the structure
[tab][/tab]1: Dex 2 + Stealth (Natural Areas) 3 + Ways of the Forest 3 + die roll of 1 (followed by die roll of 5, for a total of 10) = 18.
[tab][/tab]2: Dex 2 + Stealth (Natural Areas) 3 + Ways of the Forest 3 + die roll of 7 = 15.

Awareness rolls at the structure
[tab][/tab]Visual: Per 2 + Awareness 3 + Keen Vision 3 + die roll of 8 = 16.
[tab][/tab]Audio: Per 2 + Awareness 3 + Sharp Ears 3 + die roll of 5 = 13.

Stealth rolls to get back to camp
[tab][/tab]1: Dex 2 + Stealth (Natural Areas) 3 + Ways of the Forest 3 + die roll of 9 = 17.
[tab][/tab]2: Dex 2 + Stealth (Natural Areas) 3 + Ways of the Forest 3 + die roll of 4 = 12.

Not sure, but I think he pulled it off.

The structure is a palisade with lost about 15'feet taller than Wilhelm. The smell of roasted boar is wafting on the breeze coming down the hill. Voices can be heard, but not clearly discerned. There aren't any guards visible watching the outside of the palisade.
This effectively kills the day, though. The travel time there and back means it will be dark when he gets back.

Wilhelm relays all the information above to the others in Latin, without holding any back. He does mention how good that boar smelled, but that they'll have to settle for what he caught on the way back. ((Dex 2 + Hunt 3 + Ways of the Forest 3 + die roll of 8 = 16.))

He secures a nice deer...

[color=blue]"So, we have several people in the building. They seem to be pretty confident, if they don't have any guards posted. Maybe we're so far inside their territory that they don't worry about anyone encroaching on their territory?" Fiona sounds a little skeptical about this theory.

[color=blue]"You couldn't hear what they were saying, or tell what language they were speaking?" Fiona asks Wilhelm.

[color=green]"No, maga," he replies.

[color=blue]"So, I see our options as checking out the building, continuing on along the road the way we were going, or check out where the last five were coming from? That sound about right?"

Based on the wide open cleared area, I would expect guards observing that clearing. That there are no visible suggests other means of monitoring the clearing. Doesn't Mons Electi have an item which does something similar? If we avoid the area, do we leave a powerful enemy at our back?"

((Fiona really needs a pig grenade. A little ceramic pig, pull the tail, through it in the window, when it hits something everything in the room gets splatted with a nice little Curse of Circe effect. Actually.....let's see. CoC is 30, +2 for Room, -1 to drop it from Voice to Touch (since she just has to touch the room) would be 35. Her CT would be Sta 3 + Mu 17 + Co/An 7 + 7 (for MMF) + Aura 10 + attunement from her talisman 5 = 56 + stress die, with a target of 70. Dang. So close.))

Fiona narrows her eyes as she looks at the building, then shakes her head. [color=blue]"Nope. Can't quite pull it off," she says, almost to herself.

[color=blue]"So it would be safer to assume that they could see us coming. Can we skirt around them to get back on the road? Or can you blow up the building with them in it, so we don't have them at our back?"