1223.4 Once More Unto the Breach

((Peanut gallery: It makes a difference with spontaneous magic, though, as the aura is added before dividing. So its effects are halved for Penetration, whereas it is added in full for Magic Resistance.))

((Had a post swallowed))

Are we adding the power with a Wizard's Communion?

"If we could cast the somnolence spell here from the forest, I would say aye; but I doubt that we could be organized enough there in the giant's room to do so effectively." Tranquillina's expression at Jacques is one of worry. "Am I right in thinking that you will not be able to Leap in and out with us? I know you will be invaluable once we reach Marcus, more so than I by far; but I still will feel your absence on this preliminary raid."

Jacques looks coldly at Tranquillina. There is little need to point out my deficiencies as I know them well. Some of us have had a harder lives outside of Covenants. I will do what I can.

((jebrick's role in this saga is to play magi with boulders on their shoulders... :smiley:))

((Wait til you see the rocks Korvin is showing in Stop, Collaborate And Listen :open_mouth: ))

((I should point out that this part of Jacques was discussed by JL and I way back when he was made. Perhaps not the "anger" but he does know he is well behind most Magi because of what he has had to do.))

((Wow, Jacques is trying to out-Tranquillina Tranquillina with his defensiveness! :smiley:
Actually, I don't know a lot about Jacques's back story - feel free to share if you like.))

((As for the plan, I think we're in agreement - just waiting for Fixer to confirm and tell Falko the plan.))

((In the interests of expediting, I'd like to see some action, so if The Fixer is ok with what's been discussed go ahead and make any appropriate rolls. Gerg, if you want to make rolls in anticipation of things, I'm fine with that, too.))

Okie dokie: Tranquillina already rolled for the Endurance of the Berserkers, and she'll wait the two minutes to regain Fatigue.
I think the order of things from here is:

• Isen sponts a spell to communicate the plan to Falko. But not in a way that alerts the giants! :wink:
  • Tranquillina teleports in. Casting total high enough even without aura and die roll, mastered spell. Finesse roll to arrive without making noise: Int 3 + Finesse (moving things) 3 + stress die 8 = 14.
  • Isen teleports in.
  • Tranquillina sponts a spell to kill sounds produced in the room. She'll do it without words (but with gestures since she's invisible). ((PeIm spell, Base Level 3, +1 Touch, +2 Room, +1 Diam = level 15. Sta -3 + Pe 14 + Im 10 + Talisman attunement (peace) 4 + aura 12 - silent 10 + stress die 0 / no botch, except if there are multiple botch dice = 27, crap ... use a Confidence Point, +3 gets to 30, halved is 15.)) Tranquillina is now Winded, although she doesn't feel it. More importantly, she doubles over briefly, clutching her gut, at suddenly being able to sense the vis within the two giants. ((For the next few rounds her rolls will be at -3, assuming their total magic Might is between 30 and 50.))
  • Isen casts Call to Slumber. Good luck!

Sorry, work work work

Isen sighs...
Sadly, no. It would make my words heard there, wich would alert the giant. I should have cast an intangible tunnel to falko, but was thinking about something else, and let the moment pass.

Communicating through Mentem Magics... The best way would be to being with an Intangible Tunnel... Yes, maybe I can do it
Rego Vim to spont an Intangible Tunnel
Re 21 (at the time) + Vi 4 + Sta 2 + Aura 12 + Die 1d10=3 = 42/2 = 21, for Diameter Duration
He'll then cast The Silent Conspiracy (Yeah, this spell finally proves usefull!), and inform Falko.
Then, he'll rest, cast his defensive spells, and teleport. Finesse 6 + Int (Why??? I'd have said Per) 2 + 1d10=7 = 15.

If they are THAT powerful (They might just as well be THeoi), then we're toast :confused:

I'd have felt way better with a communion. This might have made one more magnitude of penetration.
Isen will cast using exagerated gestures
1d10=6 + 27 +1 gestures - 10 spell = Pen 24 + Skill 2 = 26 (disregarding the Aura)

Hooray, Fixer's back! :smiley: :exclamation: :mrgreen:

"Total"! meaning between 15 and 25 each :stuck_out_tongue:

So...we're going to destroy sound in the room anyone see a problem with that?
I'll be a bit forgiving here, but I'd like some coordination.
Isen, realizing that all sound has been destroyed in the room casts the spell and touches the giant as he casts the spell. Unless someone wants to discuss casting a Voice range spell would be otherwise transmitted in a room where sound is destroyed...

:confused:

You're confused? So am I. Having trouble figuring out what you guys are doing, to be honest...

Look, that comment came about directly as to what was going on the Dimicatio, and basically how it applied here. But in the Dimicatio spells were being cast without words (and until I brought it up, no one was saying that they were shouting something at the end to get the spell to carry to the recipient, so how was I supposed to know what the intent was and what characters were doing, exactly?), which to me, suggested that there was an implicit understanding that Voice range wasn't determined based on the actual sound the voice could carry[1]. So if that was going to be the case, Perdo couldn't apply. Now that we have clearly established that Voice range is based on how far the voice carries, Perdo DOES apply, it must apply. When players start making assumptions and trying to game me, I'll take the assumptions and run with them.

So, yes, Perdo destroying sound in a room will cause any spell that relies on Voice range to fail. It has to, unless anyone wants to explain to me why it doesn't. My reasoning there was based on gamesmanship, where players were trying "beat" the SG. I don't play that way, until the players start playing that way. Decide how you want Voice Range to work. Meaning the sound must be carried to the intended recipient of the spell, or some range of about 15 paces/50 feet, whatever.

Getting whiplash? Good, so am I. You guys decide what's reasonable, and I'll just roll with it. You can't have both, you have to pick one or the other...

[1]Yes, but I could have reasonably presumed that they were shouting? I'm not going to play or SG like that. I want you guys to be explicit about what's being done. I dislike having to get into these discussions of the minutia when I have to fill in the blanks for you guys. If I fill in the blanks incorrectly, I lose. If I fill in the blanks because you guys forgot about something, well, that's not entirely fair, either, I might as well just lead you down a story that has no branching points, checking things off as you go along.

((Although the RAW on Voice/sound and spells is admittedly a bit bizarre, are we okay with continuing this thread under the current plan? Tranquillina's PeIm spell destroys all auditory species in the room, which I think still allows Isen to cast his Voice Range spell.))

Yeah, like I said, the Touch is fine with me to deliver a spell in this instance, and we can g with that for now. Now what.

So, did the giant fall asleep in his chair? And the giantess is sleeping soundly in the bed? And, what did we instruct Falko to do?

After about twenty seconds, Tranquillina's nausea passes as the vis within the giants stops registering on her senses. She takes the rope out of her pouch, inspecting the chain around the giant's neck from a couple of angles. Then she sponts a MuIm spell to change the appearance and feel of the rope to match the chain. ((Base level 2, +1 Touch, +1 Diam = level 4 spell. Sta -3 + Mu 9 + Im 10 + aura 12 = 28, enough to cast it non-fatiguingly. Finesse roll to get the look and feel right: Int 3 + Finesse 2 + stress die 2 = 7.))

Although Isen can't see her, he can see the rope/chain: Tranquillina waves it around, then points it at the chain on the giant's neck, hoping that Isen can move the items around.

In case it isn't clear, in this instance, in the interests of moving the story forward, the giant is asleep, slumped over at his desk. His wife is still asleep.

Not really :confused: T-T
It's one of these bad times of the year

I thought he was going to stop sound from escaping the room :question:

For the record,I brought it up, since I was the one doing it. Thanks.

Note that the bit in the Mute flaw I was referring to in the following discussion would imply that actual sound is needed to "carry" your spells. Also, ain't your range influenced by low/booming speech?
Now, would PeIm affect this? I don't know. I can see a point being made either way, since magic can't enhance your voice range IIRC. I feel like this makes PeIm waaaaay too strong. Against an individual, it'd need to penetrate, but in a room? Makes head heart. Can't penetrate MR but will destroy species once they're outside of it??? :open_mouth:

Anyway, in doubt, she just needs to cast it right after Isen has cast his spell. He can do it with a very soft voice, after all. Hell, it's simple actually, even rules wise: If Isen has a better init, she casts it after him. Otherwise, she can hold her action to just after him.

He can't do it, IMO. Not without FFM.

Anyway, if it is good...
The magi can teleport back, while poor falko makes his way home. Now that they're together, Isen will spont a touch range, diameter duration, Intangible Tunnel to him, of level 05 (to carry spells up to level 20). He can spont it without fatigue. Once it is done, he'll cast The Silent Conspiracy, an mentally instruct Falko to go towards the wall opposite to the gate. Once there, if everything's allright, we can both spont a Part touch range lvl 10 PeHe spell to create a hole in the wall for him to go out, and cover this with a low-level "sight and touch" imaginem spell. That way, he won't have to risk the gates.

Then we need to figure out how to manage this story if you're going to be absent and it's not going to progress. As I said, this is a combat story, which I made very clear. What I didn't say, but should have been obvious is that it requires a certain amount of availability to progress the story.

He=Isen? Because, gerg, as Tranquillina cast the spell to kill sounds in the room. This was your guys plan, not mine, and I didn't see anything mentioned of controlling (Rego Imaginem) the sounds from escaping the room. If that was the case, you now have a giantess who is awake, and have to handle that. But I'm interested in moving this story forward, as it seems you are, below.

This is being discussed in the Table Talk thread. If you want to continue that discussion there, that's a much better place to do it than in the middle of a story.

Again, do it that way you have awakened the sleeping giantess.

Again, this is in the interests of advancing the story, if you want to discuss how to handle stuff like this in the future, I will reiterate that you should enter the conversation in the Table Talk thread. I said this is a one time deal, mainly to move the story forward, because your erratic posting doesn't lend itself for developing a comprehensive plan, and also because there is some serious concerns that need to be resolved about PeIm and sounds and how they affect magic moving forward. It's a good discussion to have, I just want to figure out how it works, and you should go over to the Table Talk thread and lend your voice to the discussion.

And not so fast. As we have the scene, Isen has just put the giant to sleep and the chain is around his neck. Someone needs to get the chain, somehow. No one has yet said how that is happening. And I have no idea what the rest of the stuff you're doing is intended to do.