1223 Council Meetings

Trimalchio speaks up. "I would like to receive my vis in creo or corpus, and would like to take up the offer of having a longevity ritual created for me by an elder. I am happy to perform any task in return for such a sizeable help."

"As for raiding other covenants, I suspect we had best scout out any mundane traffic and the raiding capability of their covenants well before we start. This is a poor covenant in mundane terms, while we could gain much from extra goods we really can't afford to lose when the reprisals come."

"May I suggest we look at other ways of financing our covenant? It has been suggested we could make good trade if the loch was connected to the sea, and I could put my Perdo talents to use digging a canal, or we could look at using creo magics or rego crafts to create some tradeable items. If we can find a market for these and arrange transport, we can gently increase our income in a way that will not attract mundane suspicion or quaesitorial censure."

((Does 4 Cr, 2 Co work? We have plenty of both, and about half again as much Creo as we do Corpus.))

"I would be happy to work with you on that, Trimalchio," Eilid says. "I'm sure we can work something out."

"As long as we take care not to violate either the Peripheral Codes or the Pact of Crun Clach," Drystan says, "and are prepared to deal with any consequences, and provided none of us have any objection. But I feel that this is something that we should all be on board with, at least in spirit."

"It's about, i think, eight or ten miles from the far end of the loch to Inverness," Drystan says. "Perdoing a canal is a project that would likely take some time to plan properly and to execute, and would have to be done with great care.

"I believe, Talia, that you mentioned that Ysebrand and the crew of the Atta Buoy are ready to begin their trade ventures, or will be before long. Perhaps if any of us have anything to trade, or wish anything that we've had difficulty acquiring through our normal means, we should get with them."

((OOC - Ysebrand's is going to be the Summer story, I just haven't gotten it ready yet. Hopefully in the next day or so.))

"Yes, now that he's feeling better, he would rather do what he's good at, I think we can all understand that. The Atta Buoy is going to sail up the loch, where they'll find a place to shelter and secure her, then I'll make my way with them up the river to Inverness with them. We'll take the small craft out aways from land, or at least outside the divine aura and out of site, and I'll create another ship for them to use, called the Go Get 'em Buoys. Pick up a cargo in Inverness, if possible, sail to Bruges, do the same, let Ysebrand wander around for a bit exploiting his friends and acquaintances..."

((Perfectly fine with this waiting until 6/20. I'm going to be incommunicado pretty much from 6/14 until then, so no sense starting something and then have the long pause.))

During a council meeting in 1223' where all the new Magi are present Talia broaches the subject of Douglas. "I'd like to to invite Douglas to join Insula Canaria." Everyone knows that Talia is sleeping with Douglas, that his assigned quarters are rarely used. ((Or so I imagine. I also imagine that Talia is paying him his thre schillings, probably via some erotic version of hot and cold. I'm discounting Markarion's Redcap, as he appears to have gone offline and has been since July 4th.))

"Having a resident Redcap could be incredibly useful. And I'd like to get more information from him. If he is a member of this covenant, he would be more forthcoming with sharing knowledge that could benefit us. Of course, eventually, he will be less in-the-know, but he could still access his fellow Redcaps. And if we use information discreetly, we can maintain his ability to gather information."

"Has he expressed an interest in joining the Covenant," Doineann asks archly, "or is this merely a case of you wanting him in your bed more often?"

Drystan shot her a shocked, angry glare, while Eilid merely looked down, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"No, he hasn't expressed an interest, in joining. Did any of you ever consider offer an opportunity to join to a redcap? This is a long term project I'd like to have the blessing of my sodales on. I am satisfied with my current sleeping arrangements. When he comes to visit, we enjoy each other's company. When he's gone, i have plenty of other company to enjoy. Looking at Doineann directly, "Or were you more interested in a detailed accounting of my bedsport?"

Aodhan shrugs. "Well it would..." he looks up embarassed. "I mean...it would be good to have a Redcap based here I feel."

Drystan continues to shoot daggers at Doineann, while the weather-witch looks at Talia with an angry look on her face.

"I do not believe that any of the other covenants in the Tribunal enjoy having a Redcap in residence," he says stonily. "And I do not believe that it is an idea to be dismissed out of hand.

"Now, will you be able to discuss the matter civilly, as befits sodales of the Order, or shall I dismiss you from the meeting?"

Doineann turns her glare to Drystan. "You wouldn't," she says icily.

"I am Princeps of this Council, Doineann ex Miscellanea. I would dare much to maintain order here."

The two stare at each other for several moments before Doineann gets to her feet and storms out, slamming the door behind her.

Drystan merely shakes his head sadly after Doineann leaves.

"Have the balls to just kick me out, will you? You brought up my bedsport, in an effort for what? To suggest that my proposal has no merit, no advantage for Insula Canaria? Do you really think I cannot separate my desire for a man between my legs and my desires for improving and building Insula Canaria? I have traded scribal services with Orientali Litore, and secured us a much more effective Rego text, while unlikely to be of much use to the elders, it is of great use to those less advance in the craft. I have created a ritual spell designed to create wood to be used to create a ship similar to my own, and given it to a grog I brought who is interested in becoming a shiprwright."
She looks at Drystan, without any hint of rancor, not like what she showed to Thomas the night he showed up, "If you want to demonstrate you have power to remove me from the council, I acknowledge that. If you want to dismiss me, discuss the matter I proposed, approve it, then I will leave the implementation in your most powerful hands. Of course, if it's going to be voted down, kick me out of the boring meeting, I have several sailors to tend to..." she smiles wickedly saying the last.

Drystan looks at Talia with a surprised look on his face. "I have no opinion one way or the other about exploring Douglas's feelings on joining Insula Canaria, or asking him to join if he should be so inclined. I do not know if Mercere has any rules preventing Redcaps from joining another Covenant, but I can't recall offhand anyone living anywhere but Taigh-Gogar.

"We appreciate your taking the initiative to improve the Covenant. It's been so long since we've had to think about anything but how to improve ourselves, individually..." Drystan trails off for a moment and scratches his goatee nervously.

"Personally, I feel that she owes you an apology for her outburst...but that's between you and her. My main concern is keeping this covenant alive and healthy.

"So. Tell us about your idea."

"My idea is that we make him ours. Align his personal interests with ours, as much as we can. I don't have adequate information, but I get the sense that his frequency of visits have increased? Has the duration of his visits increased? He has already done me a small personal service, indicating he's spotted ships of Fengheld in Edinburgh, which I gathered was unusual. So he has demonstrated that some information he deems less" She pauses for a moment, searching for the right word, "Less confidential can be shared. Simply, I'm announcing my intent to make an effort at convincing him to join us, that he would do better with us than with the Mercere House. It is a...transactional arrangement. I am merely asking for the blessing of the council, and should it not be forthcoming, I will continue on as if I never asked."

((By the way, Talia has done no investigation, it's just kind of a whimsical, but semi-serious proposition. She's interested in knowing if Douglas comes by more often than he used to and/or he's staying longer than he used to.))

((Douglas first came to Insula Canaria in Summer of 1222. Shall we call this meeting the Summer of 1223?

He worked Summer and Winter of 1222, but was "off" during the Spring of 1223. He only came by once or twice each season for about two or three days each in the seasons he worked. In the spring, he decided to work on his Area Lore: Highlands Ability, so he was able to spend more time at Insula Canaria. Let's call it three weeks spread out over the whole season, for a night or two, maybe three at a time.

If Talia can make a Charm roll (Quality die) against Douglas, she might get more information.))

Sure...
So here's he first roll...I'm not expecting much.
Uhh...exploder
Second roll is a whopping 2!
2*2+1 (Presence) + 1 (Folk Ken) +1 (Specialty) -3 (Gift)=4
So, umm, nothing. :stuck_out_tongue:

There are a few (not many) covenants within, say, a week's walk of Insula Canaria, and a number of aonaranan.

((So...inviting Douglas to join the covenant. Yay? Nay? Doesn't matter? Right now it looks like Talia and Aodhan for, Doineann against.))

This is more of a long range plan than get it done within a season or two. Every time Douglas visits, Talia would entice him to stay just a little bit longer...