1224.1: Come Sail Away

"Very well." Talia doesn't object to hard work, most of the sailors have worked hard, despite Tearlach's suggestion that they didn't work hard before. ((This is probably most analogous to Captain Jellico taking over for Captain Picard.))

((Not at all what he'd said, but meh. W/ever. End scene. ))

Oh no, you don't. It was implied when Tearlach said Talia did too much and that hard work (since he became captain) hasn't killed anyone, yet.
The next morning, when on deck to cast the Spell Of Fair Wind, she approaches, Tearlach. "Is there anything you require, my dear, sweet, Captain?" Talia's tone is positively saccharin, but it is said loudly, loud enough for anyone to hear. Activity on the deck quiets down (awareness check of 9 will show that the sailors have slowed down and are going through their tasks as slowly as they can, and the normal chatter has been replaced with curt and quiet words meant to communicate as much as possible, as quickly as possible, a check of 12 will catch furtive glances directed towards Tearlach)

Tearlach swivels, regarding Talia with a frown for a long moment, and then leans towards her, balancing himself with one broad hand on the deck's railing. His tone matches Talia's in sweetness. "Why, yes, my darling commodore." He reaches up with his other hand, brushing an errant curl out of Talia's face in a parody of affection. "I need you to get the keys... go down into the hold... and let the REAL Talia ex Tytalus out of wherever the hell you stuck her!"

Talia doesn't stop Tearlach from brushing her hair away. Talia turns and calls out to the crew, "Tie the captain to the mast. Keep him shaded, fed and watered, bring him a chamberpot when he needs it. When night falls, release him to his quarters, and repeat the process each day until I order otherwise. Continue to obey his orders in all things. The captain wants you to work hard, and so you shall. He thinks I have been doing too much for you, but I've observed that he works just as hard at all the tasks that he's ordered, too, so I think he does too much for you. So, as a test of his leadership, I'm preventing him from undertaking any tasks. If something he's ordered done isn't being done to his satisfaction, he can't simply just jump in and fix it. For a time, you will be a crew without a wizard captain, and access to little magic except the ones that make life easier aboard ship. You must learn to operate without such capabilities, with the exception of the Spell of Fair Wind, as that is my requirement for returning home on time." Talia leaves and goes below deck, knowing that her orders will be carried out.

Thick tongued Sal croaks out, "Come along, cap'n." and reaches his meaty hand out to guide the captain to Talia's designated spot.

((Really, really wish you hadn't done that, but all right.))

"That's the real Talia ex Tytalus, all right."

Tearlach freezes Sal with a glare. "First one of you to lay a hand on me will lose it." It's not even a threat, it's a simple statement of fact. He turns and strides off to the mast all on his own, leaning up against it with his hands folded on his chest and a glower on his face.

((Explaining Talia's actions a bit, since I try really hard to adopt the persona of the character. I didn't do it, Talia did it. She designated Tearlach as captain of the vessel and removed herself from day-to-day command of the vessel. Talia doesn't care about what are now Tearlach's problems. She's much more don't show me the pain, show me the baby. She expects results, she doesn't need to know Tearlach's process for achieving results. There's a subtle lesson here for everyone. The lesson for the crew is that Tearlach is in command, even if he is physically restrained. The lesson for Tearlach is that Talia thinks he should be in command. If he's going to carp about what was, he's not thinking about what is. Also, this opens up the opportunity for dialog for some of the grogs I have character sketches for... Don't think about the player, think about the character. It's unlikely that a Tytalus will brook the kind of talk Tearlach has offered up to now. You've been given a job to do, judged capable of doing it. So go do it. Tearlach was prepared for an explosion at the wrong time. :smiley:))

Aodhan trudges his way blearily out of the cramped quarters he and his Pater share. In one hand is a chamber pot in the other is a steaming mug, presumably of a hot drink. His steps are not so steady as anyone on the ship and he makes his way for the rail, periodically taking a sip from the mug. As he comes up he looks about him in some confusion, seeing the bustle of activity as well as the open sea. He raises the chamber pot almost as if to drink from it before a new distraction catches his eyes; someone being tied to the mast. He makes it to the rail and dumps the mug's contents over the side and again almost drinks from the other before he realizes it and then dumps it as well. After trying to get a drink from his empty mug of tea and looking into it in some confusion he walks towards the mast, avoiding thick eyes Paul, or whatever he called himself. He takes a moment to look at the man, not quite recognizing him but there was something familiar...

Finally he looks towards the bow and makes the brilliant observation; "Ye gads! We're moving again! Why didn't someone tell me?!" he looks at the man tied to the mast. "And who the hell are you? Why are you tied to the mast? This is the mast right? Or is this some other device? It may not look it, but I don't sail much."

Tearlach is either lashed to the mast with a couple of loops of rope he tied himself, or he is fastened more securely -- and the crew is nursing bruises and dislocated fingers. He wasn't joking. In either case, he regards Aodhan with a long look down his nose. "Ah. Ye'd be the other piece of live-lumber. Aodhan, yes?"

He considers being polite and professional -- briefly -- but he is still spitting mad about the situation, and unfortunately, the Verditius happens to be the closest target. (Unfortunately for Tearlach, that is.) "No, lad, this isn't the mast. 'tis a drying pole." He nods at the sails billowing overhead. "See all the laundry drying up there? That's what it's for."

"As for me, my name's Odysseus. We're about to pass through siren territory. That's why I'm tied to the mast... and as for you, you'd best get yourself below and stop up your ears with wax, or you'll be charmed by their song and go fer a swim. Seriously."

(( He's lying through his teeth -- obviously -- but he's not actually putting any effort into the deception. Unless Aodhan has something like the Gullible flaw, he'd likely see right through it.))

Aodhan nods as he listens to him, while he seems a bit daft he's not a complete fool. "Aye, Aodhan's my name, though I work more with metal than wood." He leans in close after looking around suspiciously. "Was it mutiny? Or are ye being punished for some reason? The one I could help ye with the other...well I'd best not, Talia would likely be rather cross with me." he looks in his mug again. "Ye wouldn't happen to have any tea would ye?" he says aloud as he looks up again.

"Ye'd have to apply to Talia to find out why I'm tied here. And no, I haven't got a mug of hot tea. Tried to take one with me, but it was real uncomfortable shoved up me backside. Ask the cook. Matter of fact..." He lifts his head, looking around for a sailor. "Paolo! Go ask Cook for the left-over slush from breakfast, grab a couple people and go aloft. Starboard halliards need a new coating. While ye're at it, grab Aodhan a mug of tea, too."

Aodhan makes a sympathetic wince at the mention of where the mug may have been...served. "Aye, most uncomfortable I'm sure." after the orders are shouted he smiles as his request for tea looks like it will be filled. "Much obliged! If there's anthin' I can do for ye...except ye know, letting you go, just ask. I can make items for ye, once we're back at the covenant. That's what I do, make items of magic and power. I'm known for it in fact!"

Tearlach shakes his head, chuckling. "I'm no wizard, laddie, but from dealing with old Memnos, I know ye don't work cheap. And have little use for gold, either, but take payment in the stuff you wizards use. Something called 'wheeze', if I recall rightly. I'd not be able to pay ye for your work. Fresh out of this 'wheeze' stuff, except after climbing the mast on a cold morning." His mouth twists as he looks up at the crow's nest. The last time he went up there, he'd had to use the 'lubber's hole' instead of climbing over the edge like a real sailor, and that doesn't sit too well with him.

(( Aodhan may know the name Tearlach just mentioned. Memnos is a reasonably-famous Verditius from the Theban tribunal, as well as being someone Talia has studied under.))

Aodhan leans in. "Aye, I'm not cheap, but I just learned some secrets I'm just achin' to try! Tell you what, ye seem like ye travel a fair bit. I'll make one for ye and wherever ye go, whoever asks about it, ye might pass on my name. Ye done me a solid while ye are all tied up and kept a civil tongue about ye...most ways. I'd return the favor. Sound good?" he holds out his hand to shak and then pauses as he looks at his bonds again, finally reaching to shake one of his manaceled hands.

((Looking for a reason to make an Item of Quality. What might go good in Tearlach's line of work?))

Tearlach chuckles. "I got out of the habit of performing mouth inspections on gift horses a long, long time ago. If you're so bound and determined to return the favor, who am I to stop ye? Ye have a deal, Aodhan."

((Can you guys set a difficulty on how easily this can be overheard. If you don't care, I can also just write something up. :smiley:))

(( Don't particularly care. Probably pretty easily -- Tearlach's got a good 'quarterdeck voice', which he has trouble moderating. ))

The scrawny Paolo crawls down from the crows nest during his midwatch break, after Aodhan and Tearlach have had their little discussion. A few minutes later, Talia comes from below decks.
"Release the captain." she calls out, and goes back below deck. After several minutes, more than enough time than is the length of his break Paolo still hasn't returned to his station in the crow's nest.

Tearlach will have observed that when in the crow's nest Paolo always has some scraps of parchment, or even a wax tablet if the day isn't too hot, or something to write with/on.

((Is Paolo on deck at the moment? Or did he go below?))

No, he's below deck.