1225.2 Cuts Like a Hot Knife Through Buttah

As soon as possible without ruining his preparations, Petronius takes a pause to meet them.

"Korvin filius Alessandro, it is a pleasure to meet you. I have heard many good things about you from many of your cousins. I am Petronius scholae Bonisagi Mercurii. The greeting is a bit formal, but warm nonetheless. Korvin may be a bit surprised that Petronius knows the name of his father, but you realize from his name that Petronius is also of a Mercurian lineage, so perhaps it is not so surprising. (OOC: You may want to make a OoH Lore roll to see if you know more about Petronius.)

Turning to Abigail, he adds with a smile, "Young lady, you are lucky to be apprenticed to such a good master. Although," Petronius sends a glance at the Mercere magus, "some are a bit angry at him right now for a reason that escapes me, his family is quite proud of him." (OOC: I am making a distant reference to the fallout for the destruction of the portal a few years ago. Whether this is interpreted as Petronius knowing more about the incident is up to you. This may or may not be the case.)

((Fiona has Per 0 + Folk Ken (magi) 2 + die roll of 3 = 5. D'oh!))

((Also equally plausible is what Praxiteles outlined above. They may blame Korvin, because they don't want to blame Ra'am, or because it's just easier to blame Korvin.))

((So, she doesn't get upset...yet. :smiley: She'll probably have an opportunity to get upset later, depending on how possessive she wants to get.))

((Folk Ken 3 + Per 0 + die roll 6 = 9, barely made it. Although Petronius also has previous knowledge of Praxiteles, the ease factor was probably 6 also.))

Petronius simply rolls his eyes to the sky.

Korvin looks at Praxiteles then back at Abagail. One eye brow goes up and he considers the implications.

1d10+4=8 not Korvin's strong suit.

It is always a pleasure to meet another mage that appreciates the nuances of rituals and ceremony. I always feel that we Mercurians need to stick together. Korven says the last with a smile as if sharing a private joke.

Only Azura and Attravere since they had to clean up. They had to be called in though I would not have minded if they had not. Nothing against them but what they did was politically necessary but not very wise.

((edited to hide until the time is right...or delete if that time never comes))
As sundown passes with no response [url=New Herbam (and other) Spells from either Praxiteles or Alips[/url], Fiona decides that she's not going to lay around the cottage feeling sorry for herself. She cleans up and puts on her green partay dress.

"If anyone needs me," she tells Moire and Sheelagh in Gaelic as she leaves, "I'm off to the tavern. Don't know when I'll be back, so don't wait up."

Her plan is to go out and get a little tipsy and a lot laid. She doubts that she will get it out of her system in one night, but she just feels like she needs some satisfaction. (And if Praxiteles and/or Alips show up, she'll probably wind up going home with them.)

((Too early to get upset yet...so far it's been one experimental night with Alips that she greatly enjoyed.))

((I need Fiona to be patient a bit...a lot of stuff is going on for us to move forward too quickly...))

((You've heard basically the same thing as Tranquillina, except for the possible rift with his pater. You've also heard that he may be discussing the particularities of Mercere Portals with those Mercere magi specializing in this matter.))

"I never heard the specifics, but it seemed like a special situation. But it seems to me like both Xavier and Horst have spoken in your favour." ((OOC: Xavier is the only magic Mercere of the Rhine; Horst is the senior redcap of the Rhine, known for his vast knowledge and prodigious memory.))

((Squirreled until the time is right, if ever. If not, most of it can be deleted.))

((What is it for magi: half your Apparent Age plus seven? 8) ))

((Per 2 + Folk Ken 3 + stress die 9 = 14.)) Tranquillina becomes quite cognizant of the unspoken invitations between Abigail and the visitor. She tries, but probably does not quite succeed, in rolling her eyes when nobody is looking at her. ((Pre 2 + Guile 3 + stress die 3 = 8.))

As for the discussion surrounding Ra'am's children, and this past event in Korvin's life, Tranquillina is still rather confused, but keeps listening and hoping that things become clearer to her.

We must let you get back to your work but do not be in a hurry to leave. We may have another contract to discuss is you are so incline.

Korvin backs away and signals Abagail to come closer.
While I am your parens within the Order I am not your Father. You are quite old enough to make your own decisions. When your studies are done your time is your own. He gestures back to Otto's classroom.

Tranquillina. Please walk a moment with me.

"I will be a pleasure to commune on rituals and other subjects. And don't worry if we don't get an opportunity to talk right away; after my part of the bargain has been completed, I will be back for a few months to study the regiones here for my research, as agreed by Fiona." With a nod, Petronius turns to his preparations.

Tranquillina doesn't hear the words that Korvin speaks privately to Abagail, but the glance at Praxiteles communicates the topic to her loud and clear.

She follows Korvin out of the council chamber, guessing that they are simply strolling down the hall to the administrative chamber where the Princeps and other officers often sit to consult official tallies and documents. "How can I help you, sodalis?"

As Korvin and Tranquillina start walking away, they can hear Petronius asking Praxiteles, who had been talking to Fiona, "So you'll be going to Confluensis next? If you see Celeres there, give him my regards. It's been a while since I've received a letter from him."

((By the way, Korvin and Tranquillina were mentioned specifically, but I imagine Fiona is close by to see the large block of stone be transported, since this is for her. So, I'm going to poke the anthill a bit here. Almost anyone could conceivable come up with a reason to be on the mundane side, near this workshop area, walking past. It's probably dead easy for Alexei to be in the area, as it's by the barracks. Additionally grogs and Companions could be in the area and overhear something, if they're walking about. Wilhelm training archery, or whatever. It is perfectly reasonable to think that it's a standard operating procedure that if a visiting magus is overheard mentioning Confluensis, House Guernicus, or specific magi of House Guernicus that they might pay attention and report the conversation.))

"Yes, Valerian has asked for his final lesson, and has paid for my transport through the Normandy portal network, too. After Confluensis, I'll visit my pater in Paris. He looks at Petronius a bit crossly, "Are you going to go on about that vis debt? I thought the two of you had settled it, by now."

Petronius stamps his walking stick on the ground, "A debt is a debt, and Valerian should have paid me a season ago! Tell him that if he doesn't pay me what what he owes, I will raise this at Tribunal!" Petronius scowls for a bit, then looks around sheepishly, "You know how dangerous casting rituals can be, with all the vis involved in them. My services are valuable, much as yours."

"Very well, I'll pay it. Certainly no need for us to cause a ruckus at the next Normandy Tribunal. He can then owe me, will that mollify you? Honestly, I wish you'd just told me this sooner, I'm sure he has a valid reason, and I would have interceded on your behalf."

Alexei was informed of a large stone moving throughout the covenant grounds and steps out from behind a tree that he transported himself to. Seeing Tranquilana he waves to her and approaches the group.

"Hello, what's this?" he asks seeing the other Magi and perking up at the name of Valerian.

Engrossed in his argument with Praxiteles, Petronius doesn't really notice the interest of the magi of Mons Electi.

He shakes his head, "No, sodalis, I will not accept payment from you for his debt. The service was provided at his request for his benefit, and he was the one who entered the agreement to pay the price for my services. If a magus of his stature cannot be good for his word, then this should be raised publicly. It is not the vis that matters, it is his pledge."

"Now, we were just about to begin transportation. Shall we begin? Remember, don't stand in front of the portal until the stone is completely through. Sometimes the rate of movement changes because of the passage through, and I wouldn't want anybody crushed. Just catch it with Levitating the Massive Boulder if it seems like my own levitation spell gets disrupted."

With that, unless someone intervenes, Petronius casts a spell and disappears in a distortion of the air.

Tranquillina waves at Alexei, but a bit distractedly, as she is walking away with Korvin and the beginnings of a conversation.

((Peanut gallery sez to qcipher: lessons for Valerian? He paid for a ritual? want deets.... :slight_smile: ))