1226.3 - Road to Bibracte

From the table on Covenants page 63: a magus costs 10 points of inhabitants, and each grog costs 2 points. (I forgot Pedro was a blacksmith; he should probably cost 3 points instead of 2 then.) Each point of inhabitants costs about 1 pound of silver per year, so that's 21 pounds. Add another 1 pound for writing materials for a magus, and 1 pound of turn salary for each of the grogs - it's up to 27 pounds. (The grogs' weapons and armor adds between 1/2 and 1 pound per year.) But now the additional population requires 4 more servants and 3 more teamsters (page 64), adding 2 pounds per year each: that brings it up to 41 pounds. You're right that I forgot the cost savings for a skilled blacksmith, but that's only 4 pounds per year (page 66); so the net loss is 37 pounds per year. That's before Roberto's lab, too, which is 1 pound per year (at Upkeep 0).
Moral of the story: man, the costs add up when you live the Summer lifestyle :slight_smile:

By the way, the numbers I've worked out don't include Marcus's residency at Mons Electi, so that's even more money that needs to be accounted for. (Does he have a lab at ME?)

Yes, but Marcus has independent means.
In fact, by this time, it's well understood that he pays the shepherds for the sheep they lose to Ingitio... He's harvesting a ridiculous amount of Intellego vis and then ransoming it to anyone in Normandy who wants it.

Well, scrap refinement for now then. Not enough time. The first season, when I settle in, I add Living Quarters to fill the +1 size. Then I spend two seasons installing the spell circle. Then time for Tribunal.
It takes an insignificant amount of time to add Free Virtues. I would like to add Defenses (have Pedro make an iron gate to go over the door). I can provide my own Guard.
So then, I calculate the following projected results...
Free Virtues: Defenses, Guard, Superior Construction, Superior Equipment, Superior Tools
Minor Virtue: Living Quarters
Major Virtue: Greater Feature (spell circle)
Major Flaw: Greater Focus (spell circle)

Characteristics: Size +1, Refinement +0, General Quality +0, Upkeep +0, Safety +2, Warping +0, Health -2, Aesthetics +3 (Spell Master 2)
Specializations: Spells +7, Items +1

Note, the sanctum is not +1 size, the lab is +1 size. Magi can have a sanctum that is sufficiently large enough to house spacious living quarters and a +1 sized lab. Indeed, magi could have a suite of rooms and have grogs stationed therein (this might create morale problems, though). Just the default size for a lab, available to every magus is +1. Extra size for a lab is certainly available, but it has never come up before now.

This will take up 1226.3, 1226.4 and 1227.1

So this will fill all his time until Tribunal. Three seasons of exposure for 6xp Magic Theory?

Or 12 xp in French, if the French is less than Ability level of 4. Roberto could be directing laborers to setup his lab, and that's how he gets the French exposure.
Exposure is available in things that are reasonable to the activity. I can be persuaded a lot of things are reasonable for these kinds of off-stage experience point opportunities.

But French ain't gonna help me invent spells :wink:
I have been neglecting Magic Theory, as I have tended to place exposure xp into the related art or mastey of the spell. And what I had built up, I redistributed as I don't like entering a game with dangling xp. He needs Magic Theory. A score of only 4 is awfully low for his age (I recal starting at 4 out of gauntlet).

Change of plan for Roberto. The season he arrives, he moves into his new lab and sets up Living Quarters. Some may think he is strange, but that's just what he is used to. Forget the spell circle for now.
1226.4 & 1227.1 will be used for doing what needs to be done. Roberto will write a letter to Ariel at Val-Negra requesting an audience. He won't wait for a response, he will just go there.
His grogs are on patrol duty, so he will need a few shield grogs from the turb.
And he asks amongst the other Flambeau members for one of them to accompany him. Specifically, he asks Issen first.
I will role play that and write the letter if the SG thinks this is feasible and advisible.

See here for an OOC discussion of what Roberto wants to do...

So Roberto doean't do that. Still, he intends to make better use of his time than for personal desires.
Grog advancment stays the same, and Roberto spens only one season setting up his lab. The following are the stats I come up with...

Free Virtues: Defenses, Guard, Superior Construction, Superior Equipment, Superior Tools
Characteristics: Size +1, Refinement +0, General Quality +3, Upkeep +0, Safety +2, Warping +0, Health -2, Aesthetics +1 (Spell Master 2)
Specializations: Items +1

Now, we have an Aura of 5, right? Doubled for Rego?

Yes, it's Rego aligned, so doubled for Rego, and it depends on where you are what the strength of the aura is.
On the manor house side it's an Aura 3. Most of the mundanes live over here, barracks, etc.
On the castle side, it's an Aura 5. There is enough room to setup a lab wherever...