1226.3 - Road to Bibracte

Travel to Mons Electi proceeds without problem the rest of the way. Roberto has sufficient cash to stay at inns, as they present themselves along the way, or he can decide to camp out.
On the morning before their arrival at Mons Electi they run into Valerian.
"It's Roberto, isn't it? Roberto of Flambeau? Knights of Seneca?" The way he says it, it sounds like he's ticking off ways to identify Roberto as an individual, and not really highlight a lineage. "I am Valerian. House Guernicus. Chief Hoplite of the Tribunal, but I'm sure you already know all that. I've heard tell that you're joining Mons Electi, leaving Florum's vassalage and all that. Good for you." His tone suggests that he doesn't think it's good for Roberto, of course.

[color=brown]"Ah yes, Valarian. Good to meet you. You are well informed sir. I am migrating to Mons Electi. It is an opportunity to be part of a wealthier covenant where one needs not struggle so much. And hope to maintain ties to Novus Mane, see what I can do from my position to aid in their prosperity.
So where are you headed my friend? Are we fortunate enough to be arriving at Mons Electi together?

"No, I was passing through. I'm on the trail of a vis poacher from the Provencal Tribunal. He absconded with the vis from one of the Tribunal's tropaeum, illegally."

[color=brown]"Really? The lawlessness of this tribunal must be quite frustrating. Who might this Hermetic criminal be? A Tytalus magus?
I am egar to settle in and meet my new covenant mates, but I do wish you luck."

"We typically don't have matters of High Crimes like this, and I would say that this isn't a matter of lawlessness in our own Tribunal. I hope to catch this interloper, and then bring him before his accusers who will prosecute him. Montverte is paying me very well for this. Ordinarily they would handle this matter themselves, but they want to send a strong message to magi in other Tribunals." He looks at Roberto gravely, "Surely you can see the value in sending a strong message to those who would prey on our vis sources, especially when that magus is not even a resident of this Tribunal."

[color=brown]It is lawlessness that is at the root of the problem. This culture of legalized criminal behavior, where magi can freely rob each other of material necessities. Perhaps this makes us appear lax in the eyes of magi of other tribunals. They feel free to comit crimes here with impunity, thinking we will be just as lax.
I agree, it is important to send a message. This criminal needs to be brought to justice, tried and punished if guilty.
I am glad to see you are well rewarded for your services. I wouldn't expect you to charge a fee to perform your duties, so it is good that they freely compensate you for your expenses.

My job, Roberto, is to apprehend enemies of the order. I am not a Quaesitor. Unlike the relatively civilized Tribunal of the Greater Alps, Normandy doesn't provide resources for those magi who seve their fellow magi. this matter is one of apprehending a magus who has misappropriated some Vis. I can then refer him to the Quaesitor for prosecution.

[color=brown]I never said you were a Quaesitor. I heard that you are chief Hoplie of this tribunal. An honorable duty. I would not insult you by alluding that you charge a fee for your duty. I simply said it is good to see that people compensate you for your time, though I am sure you never ask for any and often refuse.
What house are you of, anyway?

He fixes Roberto with a cool stare. "Did you not hear my initial introduction? I clearly remember saying House Guernicus. In any event, I think you'll fit in quite well at Mons Electi." He smiles a wan smile, I'll take my leave of you and continue the hunt for my quarry."

[color=brown]"Vaya con Dios" :slight_smile:
pendejo...
So we proceed on our way, up the road and over the hill and whatnot.
Marching order...
I shall send Carlos ahead to announce my arrival. Roberto is on the lead horse with Al & Al riding either side of him behind a few steps. Pedro and Junior are on the wagon.

Not long after Valerian has left Roberto and his team alone, two wheels come off the wagon.
Pedro and Junior need to make some rolls to avoid taking damage. ((I dislike making rolls on behalf of players, however, I can recognize that since you're doing most of your playing from a phone, I can probably lend a hand, or you can ask another player to lend a hand.))

I cannot copy/paste, but I can pen & paper :slight_smile:

• wrote down the link codes (Inviscastledotcom etc, /roller/view/###)
    Junior rolled a 7 (3756283). Plus Dex +2 & Athletics 1 equals 10.
    Pedro rolled 3 (3756285). Plus Dex +2 & Athletics 3 equals 8.
    Roberto reins to a halt. Crap.
    Are the guys okay? How far away are we? I send Allen to catch up with Carlos, tell him what happened and get help.

Junior manages to dodge a serious injury, just is banged up pretty good, heavy bruises on his forearm and shoulder. (2 light wounds.)
Pedro breaks his non-dominant arm. It's a clean and simple break. (1 Medium wound and 1 light wound.)

crapcrapcrap...
Robero has Alberto tend to Junior and calm the horses. Roberto tends to Pedro as best he can.
I need to spont...
CrCo10 Bind Wound, so that it doesn't get worse
roll 9 (3757010), plus Sta +1, Cr8, Co 4, spend Fatigue to divide in half, total = 11
Then a Mastered spell, CrCo20 Purification of the Festering Wound
roll 7 (3757017), plus as above & Mastered 1 equals 21.
Does he make a Recovery roll now, when the fist spell wears off, or at the end of the recovery period (I know effects are not applied, I just wanna get him stabalized, hopefully Carlos has the sense to fetch a chirurgeon, presuming Allen catches up to him and informs him properly).
crap...

Recovery rolls are only necessary if he undertakes some action that could make it worse, (and only negative effects are applied). We'll do the recovery roll for determining whether the wound improves at the end of the recovery period (end of this story, or at some point when they go off stage).

Roberto has a pretty good idea that they are close to Mons Electi, as Mont Beuvray is looming large before them. As it is, the wagon is wrecked enough that it can't be easily repaired in the field A further visual inspection shows that the iron tires that came off of the wheels when the wheels flew off the cart are damaged beyond repair. Pedro can see the extent of the damage, but he also knows it's unusuall, and of course, he inspected the tires just that morning. It's as if sections of the wheel just disintegrated. Such a repair would be almost impossible in the field, even if he was uninjured.

I see...

Roberto gathers the men and shares his Parma with them. Then he sets Pedro to watch, Alberto to patrol a ten pace perimiter (in sight of Pedro) and Junior and Roberto will start sorting essentials from crap.
I wanna take a look at that wheel again. Any trace of a sigil prooving if it is magic?
How long until sunset?
When would I reasonably expect Allen and Carlos to return with aid?

It's late morning, around 11 am. Sunset is 8 or 9 hours away.
It would probably take an 8 hours round trip at a normal pace. Double time would probably cut that down to 5-6 hours. Roberto knows he could provide a rock from a nearby outcropping as an AC to that location, where a magus who has a spell to travel more quickly might be able to come faster.

It's a pretty reasonable speculation of it being magic, but as far as being able to detremine a sigil or even if magic was used with any certainty is beyond Roberto's area of expertise. However, you can deduce certain things about the Technique and Form and the fact that Roberto didn't notice any gestures or words used.

Roberto totally set Allen up with a rock before sending him on his way. :wink: And I expect him to doubletime it.
Magic is what it is. It could have been cast at range, a time delayed sabatoge, or whatnot. But the culprit may be near at hand...

Alright, Allen's spider sense is tingling something awful about this situation when Roberto tells him to run off to Mons Electi.

I tell him to hold up then. I put parma on him too (5 is my limit). I have him keep an eye out. Defensive perimiter.
Roberto casts Howl of the Steel Weapons, Shriek of the Wooden Shafts, Ward against Heat & Flames, then draws his sword and ignites it.
All these are Mastered, and can be cast without risk of botch or fatigue loss. Only the last need calculation for Penetration, if a combat encounter vs MR is forthcoming...
Which I think it is...
Al & Al are trained to fight as a group. Junior will guard Pedro (who rests atop the busted cart). Roberto will pace the perimiter, sword ablaze, shield in hand, ready to Fast Cast a PoF if need be :wink: