1226.3a A friendly duel

Fast Caster, would definitely apply, as there is initiative, IMO. Is Certeman enough like combat to be considered combat? Well, again, IMO, yes. :smiley:

The talisman, I could leave out, but can see it applying if a te/fo combination allowed it, would be part of the calculus of knowing who you're taking on, his Arts and whether he has a talisman that can augment his Arts. A Creo Ignem Certamen is within the fire-related effect... I can do it without and we can figure it out later, though. It's supposed to be friendly.

Roberto rolls an 8 for Initiative, a 2 for Attack, and a 9 for Defense.

So...
Initiative Total = 11
Attack Total = 15
Defense Total = 17

Intiative roll of 4 for a total of 11 (need to roll off), Marcus's roll is 7
Die rolls of 9,9,6 for Art, Attack, Defense.
Art roll is odd so Attack is Technique.
Attack Total of 9-2+15=22
Defense Total of 6+3+24=33

Marcus's Attack Advantage is 5: Weakening of 3 (Int)+3 (Pen)+1 (Spec) + 5 AA=12 vs a Resistance total of 7

Marcus conjures brilliant ruby red fireball phantasms which pummel Roberto's dragon mercilessly and unceasingly. Whenever the Dragon turns it's head it gets hit with a fireball in the face. Marcus inflicts one level of fatigue on Roberto.

Isen sighs... Awesome. I'm sure you'll have great fun poking about the regio. Viscaria used to call it cheesy.

In short: Isen has not left paranoia mode since Appolodorus was killed. He has tried, and failed, to muster some effort to make ME as impregnable a fortress has possible. Aside from Viscaria, who left, no one seems interested. So he is quite dismayed, thus the tone.
He doesn't think Petronius is a spy, but he can't be sure, so he'd like a cautious attitude. Better safe than sorry. And here you're telling him that Petronius is gonna walk around all over the regio, and was basically introduced by another foreign magus :laughing: If he goes into a depression, you'll be at fault :laughing:

Isen scowls Aye. Are you from here?

In short: He comes from the Rhine, and his pater, Axion, is still there. Thing is, as much (or maybe because) as his pater's methods and way of thinking have influenced him, Isen aspires for something better, and doesn't like being reminded and compared to "the old bastard", whose reputation he is trying to escape. Is that a botch in social graces? :laughing:

It appears that Petronius misses Isen's mood and inner thoughts, for he answers, "Yes, indeed, this might be an appropriate descriptive for it." He smiles, "Although I have focused more on how one can use it for transporting to distant places, unfortunately without much success so far, I have noticed some fascinating properties to it. Have you noticed how the aura itself seem to change and adapt to one's needs? Almost as if there was some sort of awareness behind it! It's really quite interesting. My covenant- and House-brother, Titus Aurelius, would find this quite interesting. His specialty is magical auras and regiones."

He thinks for a moment, and sends a piercing look at Isen. His next words contradict his previous demeanor, for they seem to aim directly at Isen's worries about Mons Electi's vulnerability. "In fact, he might be able to discover a way for you to better control the regio's behaviour and entrances,such that you could reduce the risk of infiltration. Or at least, be able to detect whenever someone enters the regio."

Petronius tone becomes chatty again, "Indeed, I am from the Rhine. Years ago, Praxiteles and I, along with two other sodales, founded the covenant of Laurus Argenti near the mundane city of Koblenz."

((Actually, since Isen was apprenticed in the Rhine, he knows about that covenant. It was founded during the last years of his apprenticeship under Axion. Is Axion the same magus as Axior from Guardians of the Forests? According to Guardians of the Forests, Axior was killed in a magical accident around 1190, but that might be different for Axion. Anyway, it is entirely possible that Axion has had dealings with Laurus Argenti before you left the Rhine...))

Brionne runs into the chamber, bowing briefly before entering.

"Master Alexei!" he says pointing to his own misshapen nose. "The newcomer and that strange floating one! They are dueling in the field!"

Alexei stands up at the sudden interruption. "Truly?!" he asks with excitement rising in his voice. He looks briefly at Petronius and Isen, who he'd been chatting with idly. "Did you bring a..." Alexei asks after a moment of consideration. Brionne is already nodding and shows that he as a dirt clod in his hand and gives it to Alexei. Alexei takes it and looks at his guest and Isen.

"I'm sorry, but as Imperator I have to..." and he disappears.

At the field some small way back Alexei reappears and walks quickly towards the bonfire and the sight of the duel.

It appears my last post last night got eaten by gremlins.
Anyways, Roberto's Resistance is 8 (Sta +2, Parma 5, Specialized in Ignem).
And I blow two points of Confidence on Defense, negating the Attack Advantage.
Flip a coin for the Initiative roll off. I take heads and trust the coin in your pocket.

Roberto wins intiative.

First round is a draw, then. Don't forget, Marcus can burn as much confidence at one time as Roberto.

You'll have to use www.unseenservant.com for die rolls, since invisible castle is no more. And it appears to require registration.

That suck! I was just using Invisible Castle last night. I need to register and figure out how the new roller works before I continue...

Check out this example...
unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=7447
And I acknowledge your pain... :smiley:

Invisible Castle seems to work again. Go figure.

Despite himself, Isen finds himself interested by Petronius's words.

If Mons Electi could harness the power of its regio to do this kind of things, this would surely give them an edge. Now, this Petronius is quite probably innocent, since the conspiration seems mostly limited to House Guernicus, mostly being, of course, the problem, as Isen remembers all-too-well Lucius, and how both Alexei and himself were fooled. And the fact that Petronius is basically trying to get yet another magus poke around ME isn't an idea he holds dear.

He sighs... If only Adeline could check the guy! She is supposed to do that kinda things*!
I didn't knew. This is interesting. Do you think it might be sentient?
And at that, Isen is struck by a sudden realization. Appolodorus body was never recovered, and the Aura became Rego-aligned right after his dissapearance.
What if Appolodurus has somehow become one with the Regio? There must be a way to check this, but how?
He'll talk about this to Alexei and Roberto as soon as possible, since they are the ones he trust most. And maybe Tranquillina. She has a sharp mind.

• At any given point, Adeline, Isen's advisor, will, under any possible pretext, check on petronius (Folk Ken 3 (magi) + Per 2 + 1d10=5 = 11), and tell Isen that Petronius seems like a nice enough guy, or whatever. This'll help, a little (he's still disgusted by the lack of discipline/security -understand paranoia- of the others :laughing: )

Isen sends a sideglance to Petronius. What is this guy’s game? He’s obviously more clever/aware than he seemed at first.

That would be nice. We’ve had some magical pest problems over the years, and I would appreciate being able to do something about it.
In fact, if the region is sentient, it might be possible to do a lot of things, especially if Appolodorus has somehow become one with it.

(Yes it is. I don’t remember if he was killed or not in Isen’s background, or if I slipped that bit, but Isen is old enough that it makes no difference anyway)

Aye. I see it. To still be around after all this time, you must have done rather well.
I cry for you… Isen doesn’t miss the Rhine. Too many people assimilated him to his parens there. He just hopes to send this guy flying in another direction :laughing:

Invisiblecastle is mostly back... If you can get to it go ahead and get your rolls for attack and defense in the next round, also picking your arts. I may be using invisible castle or unseenservant. Still having some trouble at work, and I don't feel like futzing with my local name servers to get it to work.

((Actually, Petronius' tone doesn't convey that he is trying to get this Titus to come. It is more of a casual mention of someone whose specialty might be useful to ME, should they decide to pursue investigation in that direction. Of course, Isen can decide that this is just a cover. Paranoia has its disadvantages!))

"That's a fair question, but one that has no simple answer," Petronius muses. "After all, most of the stronger magical auras are located in places of antiquity, where powerful beings were manifested or lived. How much of their essence still remains? Can it be called sentience?" He shrugs, "Aedituus would say that this is just one more manifestation of the God's will, in one way or another, whereas Titus would probably discount it and explain it through the maleability of magic when it pervades a segregated microcosm, reacting to the unconscious manifestations of the Gifted desires." A small chuckle, "Me, I am more practical, and deal with what is. But then, as I said, Vim is not my main domain of interest."

((Pretty much that, although it is always more complicated than this, something that Adeline has probably mentioned to Isen often. Honest but somewhat disabused. Certainly older than he looks, though that is often the case with magi. She may also mentions that Petronius seemed to have seen through her pretense at casual conversation, and understood that she was assessing him.))

"Yes, I can sympathize with that," answers Petronius absent-mindedly. Making Isen wonder whether he read more into Petronius' comments than was actually conveyed.

"Well, we've had our problems," Petronius' tone is more serious, but in reminiscence, not the sharp tone of someone commenting on the present. "The politics can be wearying there, and our Order seem bent on trying to tear itself up from the inside. Sometimes I wish..." Shaking his head, Petronius smiles wistfully. Then his face lights up, making him look much younger, and he snaps his fingers, "Were you ever at Terschelling? Could it be?"

Roberto switches Arts, using Creo for Attack and Ignem for Defense.
Attack roll of 4, plus Creo 8 equals 12.
Defense roll of 8, plus Ignem 13 equals 21

Art for Attack is even, so Form, Attack roll of 3, and Defense Roll of 2

Attack total of: 3-2+24=25 vs 21 defense from Roberto, 4AA
Defense total of: 2+3+15=21 vs 12 Attack from Roberto, no effect
Weakening of: 3 (Int)+3 (Pen)+1 (Spec) + 4 AA=11 vs a Resistance total of 8

The fireballs effectively dance out of range of the dragon when it tries to bite at them to consume them, while they continue to harry the dragon unceasingly.

Roberto loses a fatigue level, unless he spends confidence.

Which he does not, as that is a loosing game.
Quick resolution offer: Roberto will switch Arts each round (next round is Ig/Cr, then Cr/Ig, IgCr, etc). No confidence spent.
Roll out the dice until the duel is resolved.

Are you asking me to roll on your behalf, because it's such a pain to do on your phone? I really dislike doing that for players, as I feel like I'm playing with myself.

Marcus tries to talk and maintain the phantasms, he looks like he's struggling, but holding on ((3 roll +3 Int +8 Concentration=14)). "Roberto, I will go with you to Val Negra, after the Normandy Tribunal, if you so desire. If you accept that as meeting your demands, I concede the contest."

Yeah, phone difficulty and the writing down numbers and typing in the whole code.
:smiley:
Roberto accepts his concession and returns to drinking quietly.

You need to seriously consider a notetaking app for your phone, where you can copy and paste things without worrying about the Atlas website timing out... Especially given the troubles of the past week or so with the timeouts...

Falko, perhaps a bit in his cups, cries out his dolor at seeing the fireworks end. For a minute or so he goes back to singing, or more accurately drowning out the song of a fellow grog with a pained expression.

Suddenly, an indignant murmuring takes over the sound coming from the grogs at the bonfire. Laughter and pointing fingers lead to a 6'1" figure approaching the bright light. It's Jehanne, out of his chain mail and carrying no mace, but instead dressed according to his comfort and personal desires - in women's clothing. He nods his greetings to the soldiers as he drops a loaf of bread and hunk of sheep's cheese with some of the other refreshments, oblivious to their derision.