1227.2t Abandon all mope

[color=blue]"This would be an ideal site for someone whose Hermetic talents lean toward Rego. Are you more interested in the mundane history of the site, and that aspect of the ruins, or is your curiosity inclined to the Hermetic and the mystical aspects?"

[color=blue]"You are from the Rhine Tribunal, I believe?" Fiona observes. [color=blue]"Have you spent much time at Durenmar? And are you familiar with the Grind Tribunal's* procedures and operations, or will you be simply be making more educated guesses than I likely would?"

Fiona regards Gerulf through slightly lowered eyelids, giving a soft purr as she licks her lips. [color=blue]"Yes, I'm sure that would be most enjoyable," she says after a moment.
[hr][/hr]* I meant to type "Grand", but my fingers had other ideas, and I thought they were probably right, so that's what she said. Nice little word-play there, I think.

((Sorry. Running a bit too fast. I'll slow it down. 8) ))

"The mundane history is important to me, but my studies come first, of course. However, I believe in the preservation of lore fragments, whether mystical or mundane."

"I do hail from the Rhine, though I admit my stays at Durenmar have been relatively brief. I can offer reasonable insight into the machinations of the Tribunal, especially regarding what is likely the largest body of attendance: my kin of the Rhine. Ingrid was insistent on my learning about such matters. Beyond such information, I also will assist in other daily tasks, should you desire them. I am particularly talented with wards, and in my experience, one can never have too many of those, especially when dealing with... politics." He leans forward and lowers his voice slightly. "I believe my fellow Rhine magus, Praxiteles, learned that firsthand, wouldn't you agree?" He sits back again, setting his goblet on the table.

Gerulf shifts in his seat. "Erm. Well, I- Yes, I'm happy to be of assistance."

((Nice. Involuntarily typing what Fiona would naturally say: that's really getting into character. :laughing: ))

((Praxiteles is a Jerbiton))

((I used 'kinsman' too broadly. I meant fellow Rhine member. I'll change it to reflect.))

[color=blue]"I see," Fiona says, and looks at Gerulf for a long moment, regarding him with an inscrutable expression. ((Com 2 + Guile (Hiding true feelings) 3 + die roll of 6 = 11.))

[color=blue]"So, tell me, Gerulf," she finally says as she leans forward. [color=blue]"I have never been to Grand Tribunal, either as a Delegate or as a Visitor. What can I expect to see?"

Fiona simply smiles a Mona Lisa smile. [color=blue]"We have, I think, a little less than a year to get me ready for Grand Tribunal...preferably working around our respective studies and projects in the laboratory. Where shall we begin?"

He tucks a few strands of hair behind his ear. "Well, the Forum of Hermes will be your central area of operation. It is a grand place, though your first stop will be the standing stone. All visiting magi must be freed from the Aegis before settling in."

Gerulf seems to consider for a moment, tilting his head to the side in thought. "You are probably already aware that Rhine magi are fractious in more ways than just house. Diplomatically, becoming familiar with the agenda of each gild would serve you well in the heart of the Rhine. For instance, Prima Murion is part of the Oak Gild, so she is, unsurprisingly, a very staunch traditionalist whose interests most likely center on the restoration of the Rhine Tribunal and suppressing hedge magery. Her strong personality will carry weight in the proceedings. However, Caecilius is perhaps the greater worry. His command of Intellego is famed within our house, and he has close ties with Guernicus, making him something of an unknown quantity."

He hesitates. "I carry on too much."

((Per 2 + die roll of 10 = 12.))
((I'm not sure if I should roll to detect her careful 'blankness'. So, I did it anyway as best I could, and if I was supposed to, then it'll be done. :slight_smile: I hope I did that right. It's my first Ars mechanical experience. :smiley: My first Invisible Castle experience, too. Neat utility.))

[color=blue]"Not at all," Fiona assures him. [color=blue]"It sounds like there's a lot you could teach me. I would have no problem endorsing your membership. Do you think you could find the time to share some of your knowledge of the workings of Rhine, and what you can of the Grand Tribunal, over the next few months, to prepare me for the ordeal?"

((It would probably be Per + Folk Ken + die roll to try to suss out what she's really feeling. Unfortunately, I think the zero would be a possible botch.))

((Ruh-roh. :laughing: I'm going over the rules for botch, but I'm not sure how many botch dice would be customary. :open_mouth: ))

(( Not a very stressful situation, and not a lot hinges on the roll's outcome either way. I'd say 1, maybe 2, but Jonathan may well overrule me. :slight_smile: ))

((I'll go with one to save Jonathan the oversight. Overrule me on this if I'm incorrect. :slight_smile: Botch Roll = 9))

I'll let Peregrine make the call (whether it is 10 or zero), because it's between players. These are more guidelines when it's PC interactions...

((I'm inclined to call it a zero, because there is the potential for massive misunderstanding there. So Gerulf doesn't see that he inadvertently poked a raw spot with Fiona.))

[color=blue]"I have a summa from the library that I will be studying for a couple of months, I will be giving my apprentice her season of instruction after that, and then more study and lab work until I have to leave for Grand Tribunal. And I'm certain that, if the Council accepts your application for membership, that you will be spending most of your time getting settled and getting your laboratory arranged to your liking. Perhaps we can make time when we can to discuss matters over dinner, or breakfast, or whenever we are both free?"

"Of course," he says, nodding. "I normally take my meals in solitude rather than in a common hall, so we can make arrangements to meet for breakfast or dinner in your lab or mine, or perhaps even the library when the need arises, if that seems satisfactory to you?"

Fiona nods. [color=blue]"I'll have Moire prepare a little extra if we know that you'll be coming over."

((Not quite sure how to handle this, mechanically. I was thinking it would be 2 xp Exposure in...something. Order of Hermes Lore? Grand Tribunal Lore? Code of Hermes (Grand Tribunal)? But she's studying two of the four seasons, and aside from French I don't think she can take Exposure those seasons.))

((Oh, and she does flirt with him when they're together. Nothing torrid or outré unless he seems responsive.))

"Then, I think we have an agreement. Thank you for your endorsement. I hope that your fellow magi are as receptive to my petition."

((Gerulf responds in a rather awkward manner: not necessarily naive, as he's a rather intelligent man. More like a forced denial that anything subtly flirty is going on, if that makes any sense. :laughing: ))