1227.2t Dinner And A Show

Alexei was happily watching the monkey's antics as he finished up what should be his last cup of wine. At the mention of the monkey's master(?)'s skills he perked up.

"Gently Gifted you say? That is a nice gift. I posses it as well...I believe we can put that to some use." Alexei says a touch blearily. "Between you and I, we could possibly accomplish objectives. I'm sorry, I'm not making much sense."

Korvin nods. Give me your opinion of Redcaps of my House. Do you think they should vote at Tribunals?

"I can understand such caution. Perhaps if I am granted membership, I may then view the evidence, with appropriate supervision of course," he says, nodding to Tranquillina.

"I am an academic, a scholar. Where the evidence clearly points, I am bound to follow, and I do find the incidents which came to pass during the Tribunal to be deplorable. And, quite frankly, my opinion of joining Mons Electi is not-so-gently nudged by my mater, whom I hold in significant regard as you might expect." Gerulf removes his gloves, setting them next to the goblet. His hands bear shiny scars across their backs, all perfectly horizontal. He interlaces his fingers and sits back. "Knowing what you've told me suggests that I should expect Mons Electi to possess greater power than might first be apparent. While the same could be said of many covenants, it is telling that this single group should still stand: a small cabal of magi against an entire house. If Guernicus is enemy to Mons Electi, then perhaps magi should fear such a mighty covenant. Under the wings of such strength, I would be happy to reside, working for the betterment of Bonisagus' great work and providing for the freedom of all practitioners."

"I believe you've only enhanced my interest in your covenant."

Fiona raises a brow at his confidence but says nothing.

Fiona laughs at the ape's display, and is secretly glad that Paul shows her quite a bit of respect...for a cat, anyway. :smiley:

Fiona nods thoughtfully.

Fiona looks at Alexei carefully, trying to determine if he's exhausted from his wounds or if he's drunk. ((Int 1 + Chirurgy (Diagnosis) 2 + (die roll of 0, and it's a botch!))

Stultus thinks about that for a moment, then spreads his hands. "Why shouldn't they? They may not be Gifted, but they know more about what goes on in the Order than nine-tenths of the covenant-bound magi do. They have the knowledge required to understand the issues. It's mere custom that prevents them from voting, nothing more. Mere custom that treats them as less than us Mighty Wizards Of Earth-Shaking Power..." (Yes, the mocking capitals are clearly audible). "Each should exercise their vote, or give their proxy to someone they feel could best represent their interests. Guided by their knowledge and their conscience, just like the rest of us."

Apparently Tranquillina has a diverse collection of smiles that indicate something other than happiness: the current one seems to categorize Gerulf's last response as foolhardy, while admitting that she herself might feel the same way and hence understand. "We are certainly not lacking for resources - that much is well known," she submits. "And in my opinion, my sodales here at Mons Electi are indeed quite accomplished - perhaps more than they are given credit for. We are also not bereft of allies in the world...." If there was any hint of manipulation in Gerulf's response, it has escaped Tranquillina's notice - she's feeling pretty good about things right now.

The conversation moves on to more standard questions and answers about life at Mons Electi. ((Please feel free to continue this conversation in the thread, if you want - I just want to say how it ends while I'm thinking of it - we can pretend everything happens in a sensible order.)) Tranquillina's demeanor changes noticeably: she is extremely interested in anything even remotely related to magic, and even cheerful at times. She does ponder the scars on Gerulf's hands, trying to imagine what might have caused them, but she doesn't really have any basis for judgment. I have to get my hands on a book about Medicine, she bemoans to herself, not for the first time. ((For many Abilities it's possible to make a Characteristic + Ability 0 roll even if you don't have a score in that Ability; but not for the ones with asterisks by their names on ArM5 page 63.))

When the conversation draws to a close, Tranquillina stands up, smoothing her dress out unconsciously. "Gerulf, it has been excellent speaking with you. Know that I plan to support your application for membership to this council, and I anticipate a smooth vote of confirmation. It will be a pleasure to have another Bonisagus around - after only four years, I have not gotten used to being the only one at my covenant."

"And what would your response be, if the asker were not himself a Mercere?" Tranquillina is leaning against the frame of the door leading to the hallway, her arms folded tightly. Her tone is not overtly antagonistic, but neither is it timid.

Gerulf likewise seems to brighten for a short while, though he remains somewhat chilly. His mood seems fatigued, though it is clear that he is more interested and engages much more in discussion on magic and theory in this setting than he did in the dining room.

Gerulf finishes the last of his wine and stands as well. "I suspect that we will get along quite well, and I appreciate your vote of confidence." He takes his cane in hand and replaces his gloves. "Shall we rejoin the others, then?" His tone has shifted, and there is a subtle aura of distaste in it. "That Tytalus... is a strange one. What was his name? Stilting? Saltsbury?"

Gerulf stands behind, leaning slightly on his cane. He watches Stultus to see how he responds, but his expression is without mirth.

((Well let's have some fun with this! :smiling_imp: ))

Alexei seems to be slumping is his chair a bit and his gaze seems rather unfocused. It's only after a moment or two that you notice a fresh looking red stain on his tabard, towards the left side of it, where he was wounded if you recall.

[color=blue]"Alexei!" Fiona shrieks, and springs to his side.

[color=blue]"Somebody get the doctor!" she says, looking at the others, before she casts Revealed Flaws of Mortal Flesh on him (without gestures, due to her Mastery). ((Sta 3 + In 5 + Co 15 + Aura 5 + die roll of 2 = 30, making the roll by 20. Her Penetration is 3, so she has a Penetration total is 23...probably not enough to get past his defences. Alexei's hair and eyes turn white for a moment before returning to their normal color.

Anything else she is wanting to do will also run afoul of his Parma, so she won't bother.

Alexei starts in his chair at the sudden ruckus and looks about confusedly then winces in pain at the movement dropping his staff.

"Fiona..! What!" he tries muttering as she's racing over to him.

Helmut looks over from where he was kissing one of the serving women in a discreet corner of the chamber. "Alexei! What's the matter!" and starts rushing over. Alexei is meanwhile covering his ribs with his hand and they come away wet and red.

"What..?" he says in confusion at the sight.

[color=blue]"Try not to move, sodalis," Fiona says as calmly as she can. [color=blue]"The doctor is on his way."

(( He was talking about being the most skilled at a spring covenant, which in his experience tend to be populated by just-post-Gauntlet magi. Just to clarify. ))

Stultus regards Tranquillina for a long moment. "Why, naturally, I'd say that they shouldn't be allowed to vote." He is leaning slowly forward as he talks, fingernails digging like claws into the tabletop, voice growing shrill and crazed. "That their sigils should be taken away! That they be locked in cages like the unGifted animals they are!! Or skinned, to make cloaks for more deserving folk!!!" He holds that pose for a moment, staring at Tranquillina with a demented snarl on his face, and then snaps back to the vertical like nothing ever happened, voice resuming a calm and even tone. "There. I've shown my true colors. You may feel vindicated now."

"Look, you have two choices. You can take me at face value, or not. Point is, there's not a single thing I can say that would change your mi.... crap." He stops in mid-word as Fiona springs to Alexei's side, and watches those events unfold with a frown of concern on his face.
EDIT: edited to take the whole thing with Alexei into account.

a weasel that had been napping in Korvin's lap gets hand and bounces over to Alexei. Studies him for a moment and bounces back to Korvin and seems to whisper something in his ear. Korvin chuckles very quietly and the weasel curls up again.

Since there are none in the room, what do you think of House Guernicus?

Alexei is still looking about in confusion at the sudden attention and then looks closely at his hands and pauses. Bringing his hands closer to his face he tentatively sniffs it and then scowls before licking his palm. "It's wine. It's just wine, I must have spilled some." he shakes his head slightly and laughs then winces again, holding his hand to his side.

"Ow...ow. Yes, just wine, we need a washer woman not a doctor. And perhaps a bib for me..."

Fiona scowls at Alexei. [color=blue]"This is no time for one of your so-called 'jokes,' Alexei," she says, then takes his hand and leans in to sniff at it before licking one of his fingers slowly.

[color=blue]"Hunh." She sits back and thwaps him softly upside the head. [color=blue]"Be more careful with your wine, you gave me such a fright!"

Gerulf slips past Tranquillina and resumes his seat at the table. He waves for another pour of wine and watches Stultus over the rim of his cup as the Tytalus responds.

Stultus looks relieved, shaking his head at Alexei, and returns his attention to Korvin. "Guernicus. Now there's a loaded question. I think Juvenal said it better than I ever could. Now how did that go? Ah, yes." He half-lids his eyes, staring straight ahead as he quotes. "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes, qui nunc lasciuae furta puellae hac mercede silent? Crimen commune tacetur."

(( "But who shall guard the guards themselves, who now keep silent the lapses of the loose girl -- paid off in the same coin? The common crime keeps its silence." ))

His voice is slow and thoughtful. "I'm not a Calliclean. I think the Calliclean view -- that laws are as nothing, and that strength is by definition virtue -- is pure self-serving hogwash. There is a place for laws. But people change, societies change, and so every law must be open to continual question, examination, and amendment. We have a set of core laws that haven't materially changed in three hundred years, and a set of people given enormous power in order to enforce those laws. Of course they'd have a vested interest in seeing to it that the laws never change."

EDIT: Edited for clarity.

"Yes mum." Alexei says meekly. "I'll leave the jokes to the expert" he says pointing towards Stultus. "No not him, the little one!" and waves a finger at the monkey. "Upon my honour." he adds, holding up his right hand with crossed fingers and winking.

Rahere stands up, takes a bow, and steals another pear. :smiley: