1227.2t Dinner And A Show

"Oh, you're a weaver, then? You'll have to let me know how that device could be made better. I didn't know a lot about wool, so had to find several shepherds and carders and weavers and pin them to the wall until they disgorged what they knew about wool production. (Don't worry, I took them down afterwards.) So -- while my incomparable genius kept me, of course, from making major mistakes --some tiny imperfection might have crept in. We can definitely experiment together on how items of that nature could be improved. I rather enjoy experimentation as well."

"Of course, that assumes that we'll get a chance to work together, which is not yet a given." He lifts his head, looking over at Alexei. "In response to your earlier question, Alexei..."

"Don't know about my two sodales, here, but I have." Stultus lifts his hand, counting off on his fingers. "Provisional membership for seven seasons. Provisional members receive half of what full members do. Must perform at least one task for the Council during those seven seasons. Must kneel and knock forehead three times on the ground whenever a Full Member passes by. Must enjoy being smeared with fruit preserves and set out on anthills..." He frowns. "No, wait, ignore those last two, that's from the Fudarus charter. My mistake."

[color=blue]"I've done a little loomwork in my day, yes,"' Fiona says as she "unconsciously" runs her hand along her robe...whether to draw attention to the robe or her body is open to interpretation :wink:

That gets a throaty chuckle out of Fiona.

((Yeah, I was confused about this. Bonisagi it is! and we can pretend Tranquillina said something suitable above. :wink: ))

Tranquillina, still partially in Tribunal mode, tries to figure out whether Gerulf is implying something about her with this last remark (a quick snippet of Bilera's biting voice flashes through her mind, making her wince involuntarily). "And what might your vices be, that threaten to interrupt your own research?"

((I don't intend for Tranquillina to just blurt out question after question - imagine that these questions come up somewhat naturally in the course of a longer conversation. Limitations of PbP....))

"What do you know about Mons Electi, about ... what it means to be a member here? Why do you suppose Ingrid recommended this covenant to you, of all the covenants she might have selected?"

"Despite wanting to concentrate on your laboratory, you surely have formed some impressions about the other Houses in our Order. What is your opinion about Guernicus, for example, your experiences with their role in Hermetic society?" She keeps her voice carefully neutral, even casual, for this question ((Prs 2 + Guile 3 + stress die 7 = 12)).

Stultus is still mostly paying attention to Alexei, that being a rather important conversation, but he grins at Fiona, looking appreciative. (Whether he's appreciating the robe or what's under it is open to precisely as much interpretation as Fiona's actions.) "I somehow thought that might be the case. Do you know what I said to myself the second I met you? "Self", I said -- 'cause that's what I call myself -- "this is a woman who looms very, very well.""

(( Badump - bump - ting! ))

Stultus reaches over to a bowl on the table, selecting a piece of fruit. The 'muscular hairy man' who came in with him pushes himself up from the wall -- and disappears, shrinking in on himself and leaving a pile of clothing in the corner. The clothing wiggles: Rahere-the-monkey climbs out from under the pile, and scampers across to climb up into the chair Stultus vacated. Because there's food, that's why.

Alexei seems amused by the banter and antics, the mood is obviously cordial. The introduction of the hairy little man at the chair is also endearing.

"Very well. We have some intriguing candidates and so far I have witnessed nothing that makes me feel we shouldn't offer provisional membership. But before it's done, I feel we should hear from the Magi of Mons Electi; who have you sponsored and why? Once done, we should hear from the perspective members what they are bringing to our Covenant and perhaps what kind of service they would excel at for our consideration. I feel then we can make an offer in good order." he pauses and sips his wine.

"I have vouched for Tranquilina. I believe she conducted herself proudly and with gentelesse at the Tribunal; eager to be involved in the proceedings and already with a mind of partiality both to law and order but also Mons Electi, and those qualities were not conflicted. I feel we were well requited at Tribunal. Tranquilina was also met by me in her previous Covenant, whose members spoke well of her. I vouch for her without reservation."

Gerulf shifts in his seat a bit. "The lady is pointed. But it is quite noisy here, isn't it? Perhaps we could discuss such detailed matters more deeply within a quieter venue. I believe we've joined together this evening to hold a discourse on the covenant and its membership, yes?"

"When we learned that Fiona of Mons Electi had been selected as delegate to the Grand Tribunal, Ingrid felt that my experience with the Rhine would be of value to the covenant. As you may know, the Rhine is quite strict on the founding of new covenants, and membership at established covenants can be difficult to secure. In short, the region is overpopulated. In exchange for my assistance with preparations for the Grand Tribunal, I am hoping to obtain residence here," he says, motioning to the hall, "within this lovely covenant. Unfortunately, everyone has been quite busy with the most recent Tribunal, and I have had little opportunity to discuss the responsibilities of such membership with any of the resident magi."

((Since Gerulf is already aware that there is tension over the Valerian issue and the associated Quaesitorial behavior, I think this warrants a chance to notice the shift in tone. Per 2 + Folk Ken? 3 + stress die 7 = 12. Once again, let me know if I'm doing this right. I'm still getting accustomed to the mechanics and various skills. In this case, I would guess that Gerulf doesn't notice anything odd.))

"The house of Quaesitors? My experience is that they most often serve as adjudicators, though not all do, of course. Given that role, they carry significant political power within the Order, and I suspect that some of them feel that burden more acutely than others. Still, I find some aspects of their house a bit antiquated, and it is my conclusion that, as an Order, we must remain progressive and forward-thinking." He sits back in his chair once more. "How do you find them, Tranquillina?"

Korvin will stroll up and listen to the conversation.

Fiona (seated two seats away), catches this little snippet (her rabbit ears caught "we all have our vices"). She casually checks out Gerulf out of the corner of her eyes, and listens more intently to their exchange regarding House Guernicus.

That gets a grin and a groan from Fiona.

Fiona raises a brow. [color=blue]"I wasn't aware that we were to sponsor candidates, but merely to accept them and to decide whether to grant their wish.

"I have spoken with Gerulf a time or two already, and he strikes me as being rather forthright. I believe he is sincere in his desire to help me weather the storm of Grand Tribunal, and have seen nothing to keep me from welcoming him with open arms.

"Stultus, I also have no cause to bar. He amuses me. Whether he pleases me remains to be seen," she says with a wink at the dwarf, [color=blue]"but at least he amuses me."

Tranquillina seems perfectly satisfied by this answer for the time being. "Quite so, sodales. In fact, we have arranged for a pause between the main course and the desserts," she motions vaguely at the ample meal before them, "so that we may break into smaller groups for the purposes of frank and private discussion with each candidate. I will be happy to accompany you, with our Princeps as well it seems," nodding the last comment towards Korvin as he approaches.

"An undeniably reasonable answer - something for you, something for us. Probably well rehearsed, I wager, and that is no slight on you," Tranquillina opines slyly. "Being prepared is half of any battle. Although, I wonder: why is it that you do not consider preparation for the Grand Tribunal as an instance of, to borrow a phrase, 'social appetites impacting your research'?" While her demeanor is far from threatening, she seems to have no problem putting Gerulf on the spot a bit.

((Folk Ken is the perfect Ability to apply in this case, and the mechanics are right as well. Sometimes it's tough to decide which Ability or which Characteristic to use. A good rationalization usually sells the particular choice made. And yeah, a tie ... who knows. :wink: By the way, not that it's worth doing so here, but do you know the mechanics of using a Confidence Point to increase a roll?))

Tranquillina sits back in her chair, reaching for her own goblet. "It is quite noisy in here, is it not?" she offers by way of response; she makes no effort to disguise her present evasion, and her face even bears a bit of a grin, though not one with much mirth.

For a moment Tranquillina is confused, feeling like she is being vetted for full membership once again. Then she understands that the point is to give examples of what qualities she and her councilmates should be looking for in new members. Later she might be able to feel a deep sense of satisfaction at Alexei's compliments, but at the moment she instinctively deflects them, wanting nobody to negate them before herself. "Our Chief Hoplite is too kind: in some ways I was more of a mundane chamberlain during this Tribunal. And I only - " she pauses before putting her foot in her mouth - "I represented Mons Electi in a hard-fought Certamen against an opponent I was fortunate to defeat." She nods politely at Rose. "To the present topic, however, I cannot contribute much, as I have not sponsored another maga in my few years here."

((Forgive Alexei...one too many hits to the head))

"Perhaps my intent was mistaken. Vetting and sponsorship is not part of the rules per se. But, no new magus is considered for membership without first meeting with one of the current members. In other words, no one here applying for membership is a complete stranger to all members of Mons Electi. Thus, the one best known is actually speaking in many ways as a sponsor. There is just not an official term for it...perhaps just for convenience sake we speak of one we would like to bring in. I was using Tranquilina as an example." he stops speaking before he reveals that he had mistaken her time of entry with more recent events.

(( Per +1, Awareness 3, roll of 9=13. Oh look, he was listening. :smiley: ))

Stultus hands the apple to Rahere, and leans forward to spear a bit of meat with his eating-knife when a fragment of discussion from across the table reaches his ears. He stares at the dripping gobbet for a second, lips pursed.
A course of grilled meat for the guests, and the guests to be grilled in turn. Frank -- like one of those Frankfurter Wurstchen. How apropos.
He pops the morsel into his mouth, and chews.

Gerulf nods. "Certainly. I don't believe we've had much occasion to speak," he says, looking at Korvin, "but perhaps we shall have the opportunity this evening?"

"It does present a mild inconvenience, which is why my assistance comes at a price, although I don't believe it to be a malicious one. Indeed, I believe that the long-term benefit to the covenant would be far greater than some mere political observations. Fiona has also been gracious enough to restrict our discussions primarily to mealtimes, should my application for membership be accepted, of course,” he says, glancing briefly at Korvin.

((I am, though it seems like a precious commodity. I'll be holding onto it unless in great need. Does that seem accurate?))

"It seems that the first lesson of membership at Mons Electi is to make careful note of volume levels at all times." As the discussion between member magi ensues, Gerulf settles back and remains aloof, allowing the deliberations to occur without personal intervention.

Once Tranquillina settles back with her drink Korvin will speak up. I did not mean to squash the conversation. I just found it interesting to listen for a bit. I would not worry so much in this... Korvin's hands wave about taking in the entire gathering When we ask the tough questions it will be under the auspices of the Frosted Breath spell. I am Korvin, a mage of Mercere House. You must be Gerulf ex Bonisagus. Fiona has told me a little about you. Are you one who works in their lab all day or do you strive in the political arena?

Tranquillina is satisfied with Gerulf's responses for the time being, and sits back without interrupting his conversation with Korvin. She knows the most important talking points, concerning Mons Electi's targeting by House Guernicus, will be brought up in private. She wonders whether Korvin was actually planning on using Frosty Breath of the Spoken Lie on the applicants.

((Yes, although "precious" is according to your own subjective viewpoint. I like to think of it as a way to affect the story in a way that's important to me-the-player. We might typically be awarded one Confidence Point for each story thread we're significantly involved in, so it is a somewhat renewable resource.))

"The political arena belongs to my mater. Scholar though she may be, her interest in the social circles of our Order are considerable. I am an academic, though my understanding of Rhine politics has been quite enhanced under Ingrid's tutelage. Therefore, in spite of the fact that I am no politician, my knowledge should prove quite valuable to Madame Delegate." He dabs a bit at his mouth with a napkin and then sets it aside. "I am Gerulf Waldenhof," he says, rising from his seat and extending his hand in greeting.

Korvin has a firm handshake. Too bad. We could use some help in the political arena. What is your area of study?

((I was actually going to blame the wine :stuck_out_tongue: ))

((No no, never blame the wine!))

"Strong hands. Hard work is to be valued." He interlaces his fingers behind his back. "Rego. Intellego, to a lesser degree. To know, and to create without violating the natural composition of the world."

Korvin nods. Hmmm. What is the question you are seaking with this research?