1227.2t Dinner And A Show

((Arts and Academe. both a boon and ban to ArM5. After the House of Hermes books, it is the one I recommend getting.))

We are manipulating the atomoi now Alexei just with a shovel. To change water into ice with rego is removing the hot dry particles from the water. Gerulf just would like to see if he can invent finer tools.

"And if he can -- why, that opens up a whole range of possibilities for yet a third Technique," muses the dwarf. "Particles are just particles, after all. Combine them in a right way and in the correct proportion, and you should, theoretically, be able to not only alter things, but create them without resorting to Creo! Can you imagine the possibilities? Stone... wood... bone and blood!?"

He considers for a moment. "Probably wouldn't be able to create living beings. You'd need control over the essence of a thing, not merely the matter which composes it and its various attributes. Even if we could affect it with Hermetic magic, which I don't believe we can, that gets quite confusing. That section of the Metaphysics gave me a headache for three weeks."

"Agreed, but we are manipulating them on the whole. If you were to reach downwards...inwards? To reach down so small to affect them at such a small scale, you need to be able to sense them, that is the essence of this theory no? But again it comes back to affecting something you cannot perceive." Alexei shrugs. "Perhaps I lack the imagination. I do not think Bonisagus's theory allows for this, but his theory is not yet finished aye? Perhaps this is the divergent reasoning that leads to breakthroughs. I admire such efforts and hope it proves fruitful."

((Addendum to my previous post, as a result of a couple of messages.))

Fiona chuckles at this little display, but will occasionally shoot Stultus a thoughtful, almost appraising look.

Apparently Fiona's poker face isn't what it normally is ((Com 2 + Guile (Hide true feelings) 3 + (die roll of 0, but not a botch) = 5)), so anyone who beats a 5 can tell that she seems to be...figuring the logistics of a tryst with Stultus.

(( So... that'd be more of a pokhim face, then? ))
(( Sorry, couldn't resist. :smiley: ))

((If the Magic Theory discussion has wound down, shall we take a break between dinner and dessert and split up into three small groups, one with each of the applicants? We can get a chance to ask frank questions and give frank information about Mons Electi's enemies. Sound good?))

(( Sounds great to me.

As a suggestion, let's split each conversation off into its own separate thread, and let's remain intentionally vague about precisely who's where. The idea is to let the existing Mons Electi magi roleplay simultaneously in as many of the threads as they wish.
Or we could RP the three out simultaneously and then say they took place sequentially. That'll give Mons Electi folks the freedom to participate in all three as well without putting eddies in the IC space-time continuum. Damn those Eddies, they get everywhere. :smiley:))

((I would ignore Rose for the moment as she is an NPC and also has a complete understanding of our situation. she knows exactly what she is getting into. That being said it can be a single thread since there are no secrets and some of us do not need more threads to track all the time and force them into a timeline.))

(( You are saying keep it in this thread?))

((Yes. I do not think we are going to line people up in a Star Chamber mode for interviews. Everyone is in the room that needs to be and we can send the servants away if people are worried.))

(( Works for this Tytalus. :smiley: ))

((I'm good with it all happening in this thread, and not worrying about exactly who's where when. OOC we can ignore the conversation with Rose, although IC I think it would have happened - the Mons Electi folks don't necessary know that she knows everything there is to know.))

As Tranquillina leads Gerulf ((accompanied by whoever wants to come)) into a nearby room, she turns to him with a serious expression and says, not unkindly, "May I ask for your word, as one Bonisagus to another, that everything said in this conversation is private and will be kept secret from anyone not a member of Mons Electi?"

((I can try to answer for Rose but JL will be better. I think she knows the information you will get in 1227.4 about Guernicus ))

single thread. This saga has to many concurrent threads as it is. And in a troupe style game, I do not believe it is required nor desired to have hidden information. Play your character as knowing only what they should know, but as a player having full knowledge can help facilitate storytelling and pacing (e.g. : knowing it would work well for the story if your character did this or that unknowingly, or having pieces to add to or tell part of the story for another character).

As Fiona spots Tranquillina and Gerulf headed into the next room, she gives Tranquillina a bawdy grin and a big thumbs up, mouthing [color=blue]"Go get'im!" ((Random "does Fiona take part in this conversation" die came up a zero. :smiley: ))

Stultus notes Gerulf and Co. exiting stage left, and stretches, pushing his trencher aside and motioning to a servant to top up his wine goblet. He's fairly certain he's going to need it for his upcoming grilling. As a basting sauce, perhaps.

(( For some reason, I have a line from '1776' running through my head. "Between the soup and the souffle, you'll find yourself hanging by an English rope." John Dickinson to Dr. Lyman Hall.))

"Of course, Tranquillina, although I wonder what might carry such gravity that it necessitates that oath. Is this not something of a question and answer session?" He looks around the room, finding a comfortable chair to sit in. His goblet, having trailed behind him from the dining room, now settles itself on a nearby table, and he leans his cane against one arm of the chair.

Tranquillina smiles at the levitating goblet, but in the manner of one paying attention to a trifle in order to avoid a weighty subject. Without warning she speaks: "Our covenant's founder, Apollodorus ex Jerbiton, is not in Twilight, as you may have heard. He was murdered, by an illegal attack led by Valerian ex Guernicus, former Chief Hoplite of this Tribunal. That House as a whole considers Apollodorus, and by extension all of Mons Electi, to be its enemy. The reason is that Apollodous - in his previous identity, Xenophon ex Tremere - uncovered extensive evidence of House Guernicus's corruption and its contrivance of the major crises in the Order's history, for simple gain of power."

She exhales deeply, and turns to see Gerulf's reaction. "And yes ... this is a question and answer session. I just thought I would start with one of the important answers." Her mirthless smile continues, although her eyes are not antagonistic but rather slightly sad.

Gerulf has a sip of wine. He then creases his brow. "That would explain quite a bit, though you'll forgive me for taking such a statement under advisement. I am inclined to believe you, certainly, especially considering what I witnessed at the Tribunal regarding said magus Valerian. The larger issue of Guernicus... no, in fact the entire 'answer' as you call it hangs on the purpose. In short, why are you telling me this? No doubt you do so at great risk. What does Mons Electi expect me to do with such information?" He cradles his chin in one hand while the other traces circles on the arm of the chair.