1227.2t Enter the Kangaroo

"And if it's a mundane army rampaging through a city, such as what happened with Constantinople? My dear, you've never been with an Army, they often create their own Divine Aura by fervent prayers. There is a riddle here that none of my Criamon sodales have been able to answer, of how an army can be covered by a Divine aura, while committing atrocities. "

"I suppose, my pater suggested I enter the Dimicatio, my finesse with magic is unusually good, and I have a few defensive spells mastered, as I live in a city, and don't wish to call attention to myself."

The mention of the Dimicatio seems to open Praxiteles up, "Pater, I've done it. I've completed my magnum opus, the quality is not so great as yours, but I offer it up to you to have it properly scribed, bound and illuminated, as I know you have many contacts in the Parisian book manufacturing guilds. I'm sure you can find someone to improve my works, and I invite your commentary on it as well. Of course, you won't learn much from it, but your insight can favor these Antigones that you favor so."

Tranquillina ponders this sobering thought. "This, 'militarization' within House Jerbiton, that you mentioned ... is it an observation of magi taking it personally upon themselves to become more ready for battle, swayed by individual arguments - some from Apollodorus?" She almost adds, as I have done these past three years, but holds her tongue. "Or is your House organizing this effort more officially?" She motions for the servants to serve the dessert, freshly baked thin pastry with honey and cherry brandy coulis.

"I'm sure you will fare well in the Dimicatio," Tranquillina predicts. She smiles at his announcement, although it wasn't directed at her. "Congratulations! Should I assume that you refer to a summa on Finesse? I hope," she adds with an overty sly grin, "that you will use Mons Electi parchment."

Well, it's not just Apollodorus, it is myself, Andru, and others who have pursued this course of action. The fall of Constantinople, it seems, had been foreseen by Apollodorus, and he railed against the coming monsters. His warning was swiftly heeded when Constantinople fell.

"Thank you, I appreciate your well wishes. As to the parchment? I'm sure you sell vast amounts to the bookmakers of Paris. That really becomes Mathieus's task, as I've completed the favor he requested, since my own ability to finely control magic has exceeded even his own."

"I am sure we at Mons Electi would covet a copy of your work as much as any - we certainly know of your great skill, after your masterful work on the Tribunal setting. We currently have a copy of 'Threading the Hermetic Needle', perhaps you know of it?" Tranquillina tries to remain expressionless as she picks her next words with care. ((Pre 2 + Guile 3 + stress die 8 = 13.)) "The Hoplite that was part of the proceedings this morning ... Valerian, I believe he is a friend of yours, with whom you have shared your knowledge of the finer control of magic?"

"Regarding established magi who help with your apprentices whose Gift is disturbing to mundanes, as you described: Does your House tend to arrange compensation for this assistance?"

Praxiteles clearly notices the efforts Tranquillina takes. "Yes." he says simply. He makes no effort to hide his disdain for discussing the subject further.

"Compensation is the improving of our Youth and exposing them to the multitude of ways to study our Arts." Matthieus seems slightly amused by the suggestion people get paid for this. ((Awareness roll.))

((Tranquillina: master of tact! :unamused: ))
((Per 2 + Awareness 2 + stress die 7 = 11.))

She notices... Heck if she botched, she'd notice Praxiteles disdain.

((Cutting losses ... if you agree that we're wrapping up the evening))

"I might be interested in studying in a medical university someday soon - a bit troublesome with the Gift, as you say, but there are measures one can take ... and I have heard good things about the Roman Tribunal in this regard," Tranquillina asserts. "Mathieus, do you have a suggestion for whom I could contact at Literatus, for example? They might be willing to help me arrange a student's position, perhaps even a cover story."

((Praxiteles is the person who is in love with someone who is totally wrong for them, and can't help themselves... And I'm not following or remembering anything about Literatus...))

((Literatus is a covenant in the Roman Tribunal, a bunch of Jerbiton in Bologna. But that's not canon, it's from back in the 3rd ed. tribunal book.))