1227.3 What Happens Next

Fiona smiles. [color=blue]"Just remember...if there's ever anything I can do for you, you have but to ask."

Fiona gazes intently at the action as she controls the scarecrow, willing it to jump over the sweeping polearm. ((Int 1 + Finesse 3 + die roll of 6 = 10)) If successful, the scarecrow takes a couple more steps backward and "casts a spell" at the attacking grog.

[color=blue]"That might be well and good when you're dealing with muggles," Fiona says. [color=blue]"Not so much with what we're facing now, I fear."

Alexei might not have heard her statement as he's so engrossed in the exercise. The scarecrow does manage to evade the swing of the poleaxe and then he ducks reflexively when the scarecrow begins to gesture allowing the shield grog to land a hard whack on his shoulder with the wooden swords they use to practice .

"Guillaume! You are dead! And...see the cutter about your shoulder." he says after he sees Guillaume wincing and staggering after that hit. "Good work! Protect the magus! Any that strike at him must pay!" The attacking force is now reduced by two, they lock their shields and advance as one. Alexei and Brionne exchange glances. This was where the metal hit the meat. A sturdy shield wall and determined attackers made for difficult opposition.

Alexei turns to Fiona. "Muggles are the greatest concern that the Order faces Fiona. Watch the determined advance, see the concerted tactics. The Roman Empire was built by this. See how the shield grogs buys the magus time to either escape or possibly kill his attackers. A magus without loyal muggles is not in a good situation. And muggles with a mind to kill a magus may succeed. That is one thing I've learned in my years, present company excluded, far too many of our Order do not see this type of action...more's the pity. When the muggles rise up, they will be the first to underestimate them. And the first to die."

Fiona concentrates to have her scarecrow retreat a few steps and begin another "spell" before she answers. [color=blue]"I've never actually thought about the strategy of the shield grog before. I've always been content to have him between me and the foe."

She nods thoughtfully. [color=blue]"This is something I should do more often, I think. Perhaps have a mannequin made up that I can control and do these exercises with them. An incredibly large and comely mannequin, methinks." she adds playfully.

[color=blue]"Do you feel that muggles are the greatest threat we face? Greater than the rot we discovered?"

Alexei is keeping an eye on the action as he continues the conversation. "Aye...your own defense is what you need to be most aware of. A well trained shield grog can certainly take care of your defense needs, but...I feel it's a wise choice to work with the Grogs for a season or two. You need to coordinate effectively, to protect what is most precious to you."

He takes a seat with a strained sigh and rubs his ribs. "As for the threat...the corruption we have experienced is something we have to deal with every several decades. In my opinion it can only change the Order, not destroy it. But when men turn upon us...they will leave nothing. They outnumber us by thousands to one. More than that they have faith that can be turned into a weapon. They are inventive and determined, they'll learn our weaknesses and exploit them to the fullest, they'll come when we're tired and weak, in waves that we can't account for. Some of the members of my House think they have powerful enough Arts and spells to kill them...armies won't attack them, assasins will, and they'll never recognize the threat until it's too late. Those that think they can stand and fight will see how little their strength is when the Dominion marches with the armies. Those that think they can hide...perhaps they'll survive...but they will forever be in the Rome that was." He reaches for the bowl of fruit on the table and takes an apple. "And it is the magi that abuse, ignore, and provoke them that shall start this."

Korvin will call a meeting to discuss the Portal between ME and Harrco. Send proxies or come and talk about it.

Tranquillina will attend. Also, Probationary Members are definitely welcome at council meetings, although according to our covenent charter their votes count only as half votes. ((Note to players - scan through a few relevant posts in the Table Talk thread if you haven't already.))

((Staging suggestion: could we have this meeting happen in 1227.4, after Tranquillina's conversation with Tria and Maris? She should report on that to council anyway, at some point; maybe it's worth combining into one scene. - Also, when searching for that post to get that last link, I searched for "Korvin blow up", because I remember really liking your well-timed comic exit line :smiley: ))

Gerulf will also attend.

Fiona sits down next to Alexei, her knee resting against his, and watches the melee quietly, continuing to move her scarecrow about and have it "cast spells" until the battle is won or lost.

[color=blue]"When I can spare the time, I'll come with Jehanne to practice working together."

It's several minutes before she speaks again. [color=blue]"If the muggles do rise up against us, for whatever reason, you'll have a much easier go of it than I will. Most magi will, I fear."

Fiona will come, with Sheelagh and Paul.

Stultus will be there, with bells on.

Alexei grimly points at the final results of the melee. The determined shield wall positions itself and then charges. The shield grog bravely makes a last stand, but in the end is down; Brionne doesn't need to call him out. The scarecrow despite it's flailing and evasion gets hacked down with the weapons the grogs use. In the end Brionne decrees that two of the attacking grogs were taken out, but that still left one standing over a defeated scarecrow-magus.

"Now...imagine a shield wall with dozens, maybe hundreds of men, set in front of catapults and ballistae, rows of archers and crossbowmen, led by a fiery faithed knight. That is why we'd lose. Oh certainly we can make a great stand, or no stand at all and avoid it. But wizards can't really hold land, that's done with men and weapons. And I doubt I'd have an easier go of it...I'd be expected to help out, and be honour bound to do so. In the end, falling back into Regios might likely be the best course...but who can say what would become of us then? We are connected to the magical realm, but not of it." he sighs and sits back.

"It should be mandatory that apprentices or even magi serve in some capacity to see such things as this. It brings a whole new perspective on mundane society and the wisdom of the Founders. The boasting and bragging and boorishness that many magi have fades after being hit by a crossbow bolt, I can assure you of that." he says as he shows a puckered scar in his right bicep.

[color=blue]"True, but you can blend in far easier than I can ever hope to. And, if worse comes to worse, we can always join our Diedne brethren." Fiona gazes off absently, thinking that there are worse fates than to spend the next hundred years in the bed of the Blacksmith.

Fiona looks at his scar with a sympathetic "Awwww..."

[color=blue]"What would you suggest?"

A lot of Alexei's mirth fades quickly at that but after a few seconds he smiles again. "I never thought the day would come when someone of the Order could say something like that in my presence...further still is that I'd see it as an option for myself also." ((The Diedne subject is obviously a sore point with Alexei, but no one really discussed it with him so far, likely with good reason. He knows enough about it of course, but the subject never really came up with him.))

Alexei sighs. "Nothing...more wishful thinking. It irks me at how prideful and arrogant some of our brethren in the Order are towards men. We use terms like muggles and mundanes, often with disdain or contempt. We are born of men though...this is their land, their world. We just live in it, by their sufferance. It is our connection with men that is forgotten at our peril. I'm reminded of a kennel master at the village I grew up in that was mauled to death by his own dogs. They grew tired of his whippings and treatment and rose up and killed him one day. There are horses that throw their riders, ox and steer that trample their owners." he pauses and thinks a moment before laughing. "Here I am acting the same way, comparing men to animals, as if I wasn't a man myself. See Fiona? This is Alexei when he has not had as much to drink!" at that he laughs until he holds his side painfully. "I deserved that." he growls.

We need to decide if we will renew the Hermes Portal between Harco and Mons Electi. It was put into place for the Tribunal. We do collect a toll on it when the Redcaps or others use it. In one years time we have collected 27 pawns of vis. I've been contacted by representatives from Harco that desire us to renew the spell. I'm in favor of doing so. Do we have problem with renewing it?

"I don't have a problem with it." Stultus taps his nose with the tips of his fingers, looking thoughtful. "Perhaps, however, we can amend the terms of the contract, and reserve the right to charge a vis fee OR an equivalent amount of silver, depending on what we need more at the time?

[color=blue]"Not I," Fiona mutters quietly.

[color=blue]"I mean no offense by the word 'muggle'," Fiona says. [color=blue]"It is merely the word we have in Loch Leglean for those without the gift, simply a word to differentiate them from us. I will grant that there are some who view them with disdain, or worse. But it must also be said that most of us are also treated poorly by the unGifted that they come into contact with. If there were some way for them, whether they be called muggle, mortal, unGifted, to not see us with distrust..."

[color=blue]"I like this Alexei," Fiona says with a smile as she reaches down and pats his leg, [color=blue]"and I for one would not mind seeing a lot more of him."

Gerulf sits patiently, resplendent in his robes and watching to see how the members weigh in. He rolls an iron seal over his fingers again and again, no doubt his voting token, while he waits.

"I certainly have no desire for Mons Electi to acquire a reputation of giving away vis for mere silver," Tranquillina disapproves. "If it is profitable in vis, we will find use for the profit. We seem to be short on Vim vis, for example."

I agree with Tranquillina. i do not want to add to these rumors that Mons Electi is in silver trouble.

((At the meeting for the portal))

"By all means, let us keep the portal. With my new duties it will be of great use I'm sure, and the payments in vis we receive are substantial. Plus it provides a measure of prestige I feel. Regarding silver...I wouldn't suggest we accept it, unless we're doing poorly? Is our treasury doing well? If it is not, then perhaps we can add a fee of silver disguised. Some silver for any mundane travellers and gear that accompanies a magus? But again, if we are flush with silver I wouldn't suggest we charge silver."

((At the training field))

"My dear I know you mean no offense, truly. I never knew the term muggle until more recently anyway, and it works just as well for our intents, it is the tone and use that can make even a friendly term into an insult. And...I didn't wish to assume your parentage, suffice to say being born of man could simply mean you are mortal, aye? And I have seen you treat our unGifted folk well, Brionne speaks highly of you for example." He pats her large hand and sighs. "Ah...this Alexei...yes, well...this Alexei has facets to him as well." he pauses. "Such as speaking in the third!" and he snorts a brief laugh.

[color=blue]"I have no objection at all," Fiona says. [color=blue]"In fact, it would make my travels to Durenmar so much more easier."

[color=blue]"If we anticipate being that strapped for money, one of us should simply learn to create silver. Preferably permanent."

Fiona smiles. [color=blue]"That reminds me. I would like to speak with him when he's free. Nothing important, so there's no need to rush him off."

She gets to her feet and brushes any grass off of the back of her skirt, then looks down at Alexei. [color=blue]"Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?"