1227.4 Stop, Collaborate And Listen

He is suggesting that we use Rego Imaginem to transfer her image to an object she can drop behind her as she exits through the fake wall, so that her tail will think she is still in the cave. She might also use InIm to observe and manipulate her species and interact with the tail.

"So let me get this straight. You think he will eventually come into the cave? I don't think that is a reasonable assumption. My ability to traverse through caves is not exactly a well kept secret. I mean, I don't blab it, but my House knows about it and our structure isn't such that we think about keeping secrets like this, normally." Tria adds her insight into the proposed plan.

(JL: Just in case I was not clear: What I want is draw him into a cave. That's all. Have you understood it? I'll assume you have, and he won't follow Tria into one)

Well, curse me for not being very knowledgeable about it, then, says Isen, frowning.

Since you suspect he wants to kill you and follows you, I'd had hoped that, if you appeared to seek shelter from the night, he'd follow you. Sadly, I was mistaken.
Yet, limiting his sight may be essential.
Tell me, should you engage in a ravine of sort, do you think he'd follow you? Has he done things like this before? What kind of terrain has he avoided?

I think we should keep the part where you move your species, if only to ensure your safety, but I'd much prefer ensuring he can't teleport by sight, should he be able to do it.

"I think he's been following me for the last few days. I think it's unlikely that he'd come into a cave where I am, because he doesn't know I'm still in the cave, or he might be concerned that I drag him to another cave. Like I said, I think they want to make this look like an accident. I seriously doubt any heavy magic will be brought to bear on my demise. Something where the sigil would be very subtle if existent at all or that they bring in a mundane assassin when they perceive I'm at my weakest. I have kept to well traveled roads. I have felt that it is best for protection, and it's also how their mundane agents travel.

She pauses, "I can try moving my species, I suppose." She doesn't seem to think that this will actually do very much.
((What wasn't clear was whether the planning was done, and now Tria is saying that pulling him into the cave is unlikely, given that they probably know about her ability to travel through caves. Of course that assumes that they know about that ability, but she thinks it is likely that they do know about it.))

Well, moving your species and voice has 3 purposes: Protect you from any harm, provide a target for the assassin, and, hopefully, learn something from him.
As I said, I am uncomfortable striking at someone that, as far as I know, has not breached the code yet. You suppose him to be an assassin, but he might be a dupe, made to follow and spy on what he was told to be a potential enemy of the order. As they say, better safe than sorry, and I'd feel better striking at him if I first saw him try to kill you.
And don't worry: Unless he tracks you through an Arcane connection, in which case I wonder why you ain't already dead, it should fool him just fine.

I understand you may feel that all this is overly complex. And it may be. If your tracker is a mundane, everything's simple. But I can't bet on it. We've got one chance, and one chance only, so I'm preparing for a magus.

Now, my concern is as follow: If he can translocate, any trap that doesn't incapacitate him instantly is doomed to fail. There are 2 ways for him to do that: Through sight, or to an Arcane connection.
We can bar the Arcane Connection for anything but The Leap of Homecoming or Seven League Stride, and, unless he's quite cautious, probably for the second spell. Should he flee via an Arcane Connection, though, there's nothing we can do, although this is very unlikely.
So let's concentrate on sight-based translocation. The only way to block it is to block his line of sight, thus my questions and my search for a suitable place.

The essence of the plan is "lure him into a trap and take him." We started with thinking about caves because of Thera and Tria's associations with them, but we're looking for any good location to do such a thing. Could we pick a suitable spot with a map and a Hunt roll?

Isen is getting more and more unnerved by this. Being so dependent on another, when he likes to do what he wants, how he wants it... He must suppress a tendancy to just throw up. This may be important.

"We could probably find a ravine of some sort. If he's interested in doing me in, he may be interested in following me into such an odd place. I think the cave is something he'd avoid going into."

Maps of the period were rare, and her location wasn't ideally chosen. She found a cave with an aura and a magic aligned regio, and was able to transport here.

(Fiona makes Theraphosa's pendant in 1226.2, but we still haven't determined the major side benefit)

"Well, then the question becomes how do we get a giant spider and a Ice mage somewhere that he can be lured to? I suppose that I could just wait inside the cave after she leaves and then follow the follower. Isen can wait and then follow the trail that I leave behind for him. The next night, we jump him."

Isen nods

This will do. We can keep the plan as it is, then, with one caveat. Theraphosa. Let's assume he flies. Once the trap is sprung, do you think you could spin webs over the ravine so as to avoid him escaping like that?

Well, we could leave the plan as it is. Since we know where he's going to be, I can wait while hidden behind a false wall and all. But you make me consider. Once we've found him, we could track him and ambush him at night, eventually gathering an AC... No. I'm not that good a hunter.
Unless you have a better idea, I still think ambushing him in a place of our chosing, where his abilities to escape will be limited, is probably the better thing to do.

Tria responds and stands, "Very well, I think there is a suitable spot about a day's journey from the cave. I'm about ready to go, if you are. Can everyone breath under water for a few minutes?"

[color=blue]"I still have almost a dozen flasks of Essence of Gillweed," Fiona offers. [color=blue]"It lasts about half a day."

"Can they breath both water and air, or do they have to wait until it's expired before changing back to air?"

[color=blue]"They can breathe both. It was something I came up with to harvest our vis at Insula Canaria." ((I'm assuming it's both, as it uses MuCo Base 2, which gives a "minor ability."))

Isen is puzzled
It appears so.

Why would we need this?

"The cave here leads goes up to a regio where it is entirely underwater. From there i can travel to other locations. It takes a few minutes, and most people cannot hold their breath for that amount of time without practice or preparation. Then there is the risk of someone becoming panicked. It is simply easier if everyone can breath underwater for a short time." Tria says quietly.

So. It seems we are ready, then, says Isen.

Has everyone understood their part? Is everything clear? If it is, everyone should cast their spells*, rest if need be, and we'll go.

Isen is ready, mostly, he'll just grab a bag with marble peebles (say, 18 of them), and cast his protective spells.

• This is, of course, for Tria, since she needs to do some spont casting.

"Yes, I'm ready. Do you have an item I can transfer my image onto? The only items I have on my person are probably connections to me. At the same time, someone can fetch enough potion for breathing underwater." Assuming these are done, Tria pushes her image to the designated object.